The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

It's The Young Riders

I was hoping it was The Shadow. Anyhoo, received my Star Trek V, Home Alone, Batman Returns, Lost in Space and Effect safely today.

I figured you'd eventually get it. :) Glad you did though, enjoy listening to them especially Star Trek V.

I was hoping it was The Shadow.

Dream on. :rolleyes:

If Laland comes up with HOOK in 2011 i'll be happy. THE SHADOW at present has a brilliant sounding 'russian' release with almost the full score, this has to suffice for now.

I don't think that's true. I can find a lot of similar threads in Debney's work, at least his comedies (ie Bruce Almighty, Elf, and the Emperor's New Groove). Perhaps his style isn't as strong as may other composers, but that doesn't mean it's entirely non-existent.

And even if he didn't have a style, he still writes enjoyable scores as far as I'm concerned. I can listen to Cutthroat Island and Elf and get immense levels of enjoyment from both of them, even if they aren't connected in any way whatsoever. I can understand not respecting him as an artist as much as one might, but not enjoying his work just because it's not related to his other work doesn't make sense to me.

Debney has a sound I can sort of recognize. I think of his various work for Disney like SpectroMagic parade and Hocus Pocus. He has a certain way with brass. It's even apparent in the re-recording of John Williams' work like the Varese Superman: The Movie. Just sounds like Debney to me.

When he's scoring something evil or mischevious, he's got a very nice sort of Batmanesque use of brass (see Elf and Hocus Pocus). He also has a clear style for the cutesy heart warming family moments (see Elf, Bruce Almighty, and The Emperor's New Groove). And I even hear bits of Cutthroat Island in Spy Kids II. And I don't know if this would count as style, but he likes to reference "Sing, Sing, Sing" (at least, he does it in both Elf and The Emperor's New Groove).

MV has posted an update to the FSM boards

All I can say is that people on this thread and other recent threads will be very happy with LLL's output in 2011.

smile.gif

MV

Ah, screw it -- I'll give ya guys a New Years treat:

Barry

Debney

Elfman

Goldsmith

Horner

Howard

Kamen

Mancina

Newman

Morris

Poledouris

Portman

Snow

Tiomkin

Williams

. . . and a host of others will be out on our label this year! smile.gif

And that's just in JANUARY! LOL

j/k wink.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

MV

Here's my personal guesses:

Barry - King Kong '76

Debney - Young Riders (duh)

Elfman - Well LLL has a good relationship with WB (Peewee, Beetlejuice, ) and Fox (Edward Scissorhands, Planet of the Apes) and Paramount (Scrooged, Mission Impossible, Sleepy Hollow). Lots of options! I think Scrooged is most likely

Goldsmith - First Knight

Horner - Wolfen

Howard - Waterworld maybe, if the OST wasn't already complete?

Kamen - Die Hard, hopefully followed by DH2 and especially 3!!!!!!

Mancina - Assassins

Newman - er, which Newman?

Morris - Clue (duh)

Poledouris - hopefully Starship Troopers if Varese doesn't hold perpetual rights... if they do, then Hunt For Red October

Portman - Jim Henson's Storytellers (duh)

Snow - X-Files box set (duh)

Tiomkin - no idea

Williams - HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I posted the first part of his comments in the Elfman box thread.

My guess for Tiomkin is The High And The Mighty.... please.

Here's my personal guesses:

Barry - King Kong '76 or Body Heat

Debney - Young Riders

Elfman - Planet Of The Apes and Edward Scissorhands

Goldsmith - Gremlins

Horner - Wolfen or Cocoon

Howard - Waterworld's a good guess

Kamen - One of the Die Hard or Lethal Weapon films, perhaps Robin Hood.

Mancina - Speed or Twister

Newman - As Jason said, which Newman

Morris - Clue

Poledouris - Jungle Book or Hunt For Red October

Portman - Jim Henson's Storytellers

Snow - X-Files box set

Tiomkin - The High And The Mighty

Williams - The Towering Inferno, Witches Of Eastwick, Maybe Home Alone 2 or Hook.

black hole is disney and howard the duck is lucasfilm, so i dont think either is very likely

Both are albatrosses around the respective studios' neck, though. I think LFL would be happy to make any money off HTD, whilst Disney have licenced their live-action work in the past, and since The Black Hole is kind of seen as a failure with very little interest I'm not sure they'd care, although maybe if it came it would come from Intrada ala Honey I Shrunk The Kids and The Journey Of Natty Gann.

Robin Hood by Kamen would be terrific!

Speed is almost unnecessary, there is only 4 minutes of unreleased cues

Twister MV has said he REALLY wants to do but there are all kinds of legal hassles

MV did state one time that he would love to release Twister's full score but rights issues were holding it up. No doubt the rights issues were from the Van Halen material. Hopefully they have got that sorted out. I too would love a complete release for Twister.

Poledouris: I'm guessing Red October hopefully w/film version tracks and/or maybe Les Misérables. Or (again) an unreleased score Flight of the Intruder

Horner: Willow-guilty pleasure (But I can't guess)

Williams: Hook would be sweet!

Kamen: Die Hard, or maybe LLL hit us w/a right cross-Event Horizon :lol:

Goldsmith: First Knight (saw the movie on my local cable station)

Howard: Hmmm let's see: The Trigger Effect, Flatlingers, Stir of Echoes?

David Newman: A lot of unreleased and/or expanded: Hoffa, Firebirds, Coneheads, Other People's Money, The Flintstones.

:)

Excluding what we know is coming, a few 'ideal world' guesses:

Elfman - Something from the big box, but I hear Scrooged mentioned a lot.

Goldsmith - I'd love Air Force One, if Varese does the decent thing

Howard - Falling Down

Mancina - If they've sorted out the legal crap - Twister

Newman - Thomas: Phenomenon, David: Flintstones or Galaxy Quest, Randy: god knows

Poledouris - Starship Troopers (again, pending Varese)

Williams - I'm pretty sure this one's going to be Hook.

I really, really hope that Varese doesn't have perpetual rights to its 90s scores. I can't see them on top of Townson's club priority list.

MV did state one time that he would love to release Twister's full score but rights issues were holding it up. No doubt the rights issues were from the Van Halen material. Hopefully they have got that sorted out. I too would love a complete release for Twister.

I never understand these rights issues when it just involves paying royalties to a contributing artist. Maybe Van Halen want more than LLL are prepared to pay?

Hook will definitely be released. How do I know this? I'm working working on a personal edit of it right now, and these days, a score usually gets a complete release right after I finish putting together my own edit. ;)

Hook will definitely be released. How do I know this? I'm working working on a personal edit of it right now, and these days, a score usually gets a complete release right after I finish putting together my own edit. ;)

I bought the OST not so long time ago, which is another confirmation.

Karol

You both mis-read MV. He meant that there was more than one composer with the last names listed, not that there was more than one release by the composers mentioned coming.

For those who have no clue what I'm referring to, an FSM poster said:

Just a question - which Newman? There are five of them.

and MV replied:

And there are more than one Williams', Poledoris' and Goldsmiths too!

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. . .

MV

I want a complete Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves almost as much as Hook. There were a few scores that would rekindle my love for film music as a child and Robin Hood was one of them. I was eleven when the film came out and the music just grabbed me. I hope it gets a complete release.

Also, didn't the makers of the Elfman bocset get some material from LaLaLand for the Batman discs? I could see them releasing some other material from the box in exchange (POTA maybe). I wouldn't complain about Scrooged though!

This is going to be a great year!

I know Hook is coming because La-La Land about outright admitted it.

I don't recall this.

When Home Alone was released, and some people were disspointed that it wasn't Hook, MV said something like "Remember, Hook's 20th Anniversary isn't until next year."

Good Lord, people. The day Hook comes out, this place is going to just dry up with regard to Williams grails. Savor the wait.

Not even close for me...though I am dying for Hook. :)

But we still need the complete Indiana Jones, Harry Potters, E.T. Adventure, Star Wars prequels, Jurassic Parks, etc.

Exactly.

But we still need the complete Indiana Jones, Harry Potters, E.T. Adventure, Star Wars prequels, Jurassic Parks, etc.

And I'm really tired of buying soundtracks. I hope 2011's release list sucks.