The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Well I can't wait to hear about the November 30th releases. :mellow: I really hope it is HOOK. It's gotta be something big, knowing them.

I wonder if one reason Batman Returns got pushed back was because of the upcoming Danny Elfman box set? Maybe the people who made that insisted on them putting it off until after they release their box set to the 5 people who are able to buy it? lol. :lol:

I think that I was the first person to suggest Hook way back when LaLa announced their plans with Sony, and even I don't really believe it's coming anymore. It was a pipe dream, and as time passes I find it more and more unlikely.

Hey, the only thing that's tough to listen to is the second half of The Ultimate War, up through the collapse of the crocodile. If Williams can authorize that, I can live with the rest.

I think that I was the first person to suggest Hook way back when LaLa announced their plans with Sony, and even I don't really believe it's coming anymore. It was a pipe dream, and as time passes I find it more and more unlikely.

Actually that was me, but I will take credit for suggesting that if and when ID4 was released LaLaLand would be the one to do it. :)

Didn't MV mention like last month, about getting approval from Williams (noooooooo) and Spielberg about what to include? Sounded a little more than a pipe dream to me.

Here's the exact quote:

MV told me that (with a slight grin on his face when I mentioned "Hook") only Spielberg and Williams have the say on what is released. MV wouldn't elaborate further, but he seemed to indicate that La-La had been efforting a release, and Spielberg and Williams are the ones they are counting on for permission.As to Die Hard, Michael Wandmacher (composer of "Piranha 3-D") had mentioned how he had bought the limited release of Die Hard, and had it mounted on his wall in clear plastic, unopened. MV commented from the side, "I'd sell it quick if I were you." This comment brought chuckles of knowing form all within earshot. Perhaps La-La is planning a more prominent Die Hard release?

source: http://www.moviemusic.com/mb/Forum1/HTML/017572.html

Even if HOOK isn't announced for Nov 30th, that doesn't mean it wasn't planned for that date but pushed back to Jan 2011 along with everything else

La La Land will be releasing Cliff Martinez's score to Solaris on January 18th

http://www.amazon.co...z/dp/B004B3PBNI

No idea if its a re-issue of the 2002 OST or if its a newly complete/expanded score. But its not a Limited Edition, or it wouldn't be on Amazon.

Just to clarify this re-issue:

1. It's not expanded or re-edited in any way. We kept the original edits and sequencing just as Mr Martinez requested.

2. Mr. Martinez had issues with the previous release ( some digital "imperfections" if you will) that Mike Matessino has now fixed. Thus, it's been remastered. To the untrained ear you will most likely not even notice.

3. New liner notes by Ms. Julie Kirgo with some new art direction by Mr. Jim Titus

4. Fox asked us to re-issue it after Superb Records went bye bye. The import from Edel Eur/Zoom is actually an unauthorized sub-license from Superb Records.

It's gonna be $15.98, available for all those who missed out. We hope to get Mr. Martinez to sign some copies for the website.

It's a gorgeous score. For those who don't have it, pick it up. For those who do have the old one, don't buy this unless you want to spend an extra $16 on some good artwork, liner notes and slightly improved sound (particularly for those audiophiles). You either buy it or don't buy it. It's not rocket science, people.

Best,

MV

Sometimes a "sub license" clause is issued on contracts for a record company. It means that the label is allowed to sub license rights to another label in another locale (like Europe or Asia, etc...) if they do not choose to sell it in those areas themselves. As long as that 2nd party pays the royalties in their region either directly to the studio or the label all is okay. Apparently, Superb did not have the right to sub license so the version in Europe is in fact unauthorized (I think it goes for $22 on Amazon as an import). It's not Edel's fault at all. They assume the company they are dealing with is on the level. Hell, it may not even be Superb's fault either. The person doing the deal may have been running on an assumption. And we all know what happens when you do that -- you make an ASS out of U and... and MPTION.

Regardless, the import is not an official release and is being treated as such internally.

Thus endth the lesson.

MV

"GOBBLE-GOBBLE" SALE!!!! Thanksgiving is upon us and we thought we'd celebrate by offering the following titles for only $9.98 each: NATE & HAYES, DUTCH, SPEECHLESS, DAYS OF OUR LIVES, ARMORED, LEVERAGE and CONFESSION. Sale runs through Nov. 29th. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

On Tuesday, November 16th, at 1pm (PST), we will be making available our new releases of John Morris' HAUNTED HONEYMOON and Henry Gregson-Willams' UNSTOPPABLE.

Stay tuned for our Black Friday (Nov 26) announcement of our four end-of-year releases available on Nov. 30th!

And keep in mind the following titles go out-of-print on Dec. 3rd… LOST IN SPACE (only $4.98!), MIRRORMASK ($9.98), SPACEBALLS ($9.98), THE DEVIL'S REJECTS ($1.98) and EFFECTS ($1.98). Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

The following limited editions are almost completely sold out… BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, KRULL, IQ/SECONDS, A NAME FOR EVIL, and FARSCAPE CLASSICS: VOL 2.

So we've really set La-La Land up to fail big time with their black Friday titles, haven't we? What are we currently expecting? The greatest unreleased score by John Williams (Hook) and weren't we even throwing around Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Goldsmith's finest hour(+)? I hope they deliver.

Well with 4 releases, they surely can't all be grails. But I'm assuming/hoping that at least one will be a must-buy for me. Hook wouldn't be a guaranteed purchase for me though. Amazingly, I think Williams did a good job with the OST (ok, I don't know the unreleased music like at all, but the album flows well) so it'll take some evidence to shell out $25 for probably 2-2.5 hours of music.

It's quite similar to Varese's batches actually, in that we have no 'real' clues, but this time from a label that could offer anything spanning 3-4 decades. For that reason I'll be f****g excited on the 26th.

I like Joe Sikoryak's art design on the Intrada and FSM CD's. Given that Star Trek TMP had such wonderful key art, advertising images, and publicity photos, I'd imagine he could really package TMP in an attractive way. But yes, the quality of audio presentation is pretty consistent across the labels.

Jeff Bond had posted a few months ago that rights issues is what's holding up Star Trek The Motion Picture. I probably wouldn't expect it for another year or so. I would imagine with Sony holding the rights to it and the 20th Anniversary is still in print so it would be hard for them to secure the rights to release a complete version.

I like Joe Sikoryak's art design on the Intrada and FSM CD's. Given that Star Trek TMP had such wonderful key art, advertising images, and publicity photos, I'd imagine he could really package TMP in an attractive way. But yes, the quality of audio presentation is pretty consistent across the labels.

I think his art has been great with the two Horner Treks, but I'm not sure I'd want him to follow the same example for TMP. I'd also rather that if Intrada did it, they didn't use the same Ottawa font they use for 95% of their releases, as it doesn't always look great.

But really, I just want the freaking score. That and V.

As I've stated many times, as long as the artwork isn't scribbled in crayon I don't care.

Besides, only the spines of the CDs are visible on my shelf.

The pool of titles to choose from: (pure speculation, of course)

Hook

Wolfen

Jade

The Towering Inferno

Die Hard

Clue

Batman Returns

The Witches Of Eastwick

Air Force One

Dennis The Menace

Forever Young

Truthfully I have no idea.

If so, then you can scratch that one off the list.

******Either Varese is taking their time updating their website or a bunch of titles are getting ready to expire*****

Truthfully I have no idea.

If so, then you can scratch that one off the list.

******Either Varese is taking their time updating their website or a bunch of titles are getting ready to expire*****

I've just searched for a bunch of stuff on Varese's site (including recent stuff) and it's not there. They just haven't fully updated it yet.

Regarding them holding the rights, given the speed at which they're releasing 'regular' restorations (i.e, really slow, and focusing on older scores), it would make more sense for them to sell the rights to a label who has more interest in making the music available. The music gets released, and they make some money from a title that they won't get round to anytime soon.

In fact I'd be disappointed in their business approach if it's not something they'd considered.

NB - yep, I won't pretend my argument isn't related to my hunger for Varese's late 90s catalog :P Me waaannnnntttttsssss.