Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

UFO?

So is traditional mixing.

When you remix post-1966/67 recordings, usually the bass has it own track, the drum has it own track, the guitars has their owns tracks, all the voices has their own tracks... you can remix them.

In the case of Revolver, it was not recorded like this.

The 6 first Roy Orbison albums on MGM (1965-1967) were recorded like that too, on 3-tracks tapes for the first ones, then on 4-tracks tapes... so when they "remastered" them in 2015 for the big MGM boxset (covering the 1965-1973 period), they were limited a bit... in comparison with the later MGM albums which were recorded on multitrack tapes (which allowed a recording with 8 tracks first, then with 16 tracks).

Now this brand new technology opens the possiblity of "remixing" these 3 or 4-tracks analog recordings like we were never able to do it before.

In this case it was an enormous help that they already trained the AI with 60 hours of audio to be able to even separate the 4 voices.

40 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Now this brand new technology opens the possiblity of "remixing" these 4-tracks analog recordings like we were never able to do it before.

Yes, of course. It's more advanced technology, but that doesn't mean that back in the day, mixing the few tracks they had was not also a technological feat. It was still a big step from capturing everything live on one single track to the basic mixing they had then.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post, but to me it sounded like you classified the new stuff as kind of "unnatural" compared to the original technology they had available back then.

(And I still don't understand what UFO means in this context)

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, of course. It's more advanced technology, but that doesn't mean that back in the day, mixing the few tracks they had was not also a technological feat. It was still a big step from capturing everything live on one single track to the basic mixing they had then.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post, but to me it sounded like you classified the new stuff as kind of "unnatural" compared to the original technology they had available back then.

(And I still don't understand what UFO means in this context)

Indeed it's "unnatural" to isolate each element of an already mixed track using an AI.

This techonology is so new it does'nt have a name yet. This is why I called it a "UFO".

I think Revolver 2022 is the first album EVER to be "created" using that technology.

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Indeed it's "unnatural" to isolate each element of an already mixed track using an AI.

But in the same way, you could consider recording everything on separate tracks and then putting it together unnatural. Or recording it and playing it back in the first place. It's all just a matter of being used to it.

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

This techonology is so new it does'nt have a name yet. This is why I called it a "UFO".

It's a horribly mis-used term. :P

It remains that, for me, all the Beatles albums from the first one to at least Revolver (1966) were meant to be in MONO, and they sound best in MONO.

I'm not really into rewriting of history!

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It remains that, for me, all the Beatles albums from the first one to Revolver (1966) were meant to be in MONO, and they sound best in MONO.

I'm not really into rewriting of history!

No, through the White Album!  I prefer them in mono, but I begrudge nobody preferring the new stereo mixes.  I greatly begrudge anyone preferring the old stereo mixes though :lol:

I'm currently listening to the new Revolver remix (on Spotify, I know, it's mp3@320), but that's great, it sounds like it always (probably) should have in stereo.

Another great production of Gimmick International! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

No, through the White Album!  I prefer them in mono, but I begrudge nobody preferring the new stereo mixes.  I greatly begrudge anyone preferring the old stereo mixes though :lol:

It's a crime against humanity that out of the 2009 remasters the crappy stereo ones completely unsuited for modern listening are the default ones or the only ones avaliable for streaming.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's a crime against humanity that out of the 2009 remasters the crappy stereo ones completely unsuited for modern listening are the default ones or the only ones avaliable for streaming.

You need the MONO boxset they released in 2009. That's the only one you need.

Mono Box Set

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You need the MONO boxset they released. That's the only one you need.

That's the one I have. Though I still find it odd that while it does include the stereo mixes of those albums that were released in mono and ("unauthorised") stereo, it doesn't include those albums that only had stereo versions at all. I mean, what's the reasoning, given that it's clear not "we're excluding everything that's not mono"? Why is there no proper complete set of the albums in their respective correct versions?

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, tell that to new people trying to discover them and shutting Taxman off 2 seconds in.

Plenty of old analogue recordings exists only in MONO, that's not a disease!

Just now, Bespin said:

Plenty of old analogue recordings exists only in MONO, that's not a disease!

Are you not understanding what I was saying?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

No, through the White Album! 

You are probably right, but I'm not a fan of the "White Album".

I just learned that a few songs from the "White Album" (1968) were recorded on 8 tracks machines. All of "Abbey Road" (1969) was recorded on 8 tracks.

It's so fascinating how the evolution of multitrack recordings had an impact on pop music.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I’ve not listened to Lion in Winter. Is the original recording poor or something?

No it's good, really good in fact, and God knows I'm not a fan of 60s film music recordings... but the re-recording appears to be a must too (anyway it's recommended by James Southall and it appears we very often shares the same tastes) and it contains a suite from Mary, Queen of Scots.

Screenshot_20221104_205040.jpg

Darn it!!

I ordered the Star Wars sequel trilogy osts from amazon.co.uk.

Rise of the Skywalker hasn't arrived yet, but concerning the other 2, The Force Awakens is in a jewel case and The Last Jedi is the digipack.

I ordered specifically from the UK amazon to get the jewel cases!!

And now I see the item is non-returnable.

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Darn it!!

I ordered the Star Wars sequel trilogy osts from amazon.co.uk.

Rise of the Skywalker hasn't arrived yet, but concerning the other 2, The Force Awakens is in a jewel case and The Last Jedi is the digipack.

I ordered specifically from the UK amazon to get the jewel cases!!

And now I see the item is non-returnable.

There are two versions of The Last Jedi listed. Are you sure you picked the right one?

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

There are two versions of The Last Jedi listed. Are you sure you picked the right one?

Karol

I picked this, from seller mrtopseller.

Both came from the same seller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0758KSWZK

I thought all cds from amazon.co.uk concerning these 3 scores, are in jewel cases.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's the wrong one. This is the one you want:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077SR3KC6

Karol

Yeah, I just saw it.

But The Force Awakens didn't say speciifically it's in a jewel case and it was.

By the way, I bought this too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082BXFMGH

by seller champion toys.

I don't know what version it will be. I don't see any "jewel case" version specifically written in another item.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Yeah, I just saw it.

But The Force Awakens didn't say speciifically it's in a jewel case and it was.

By the way, I bought this too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082BXFMGH

by seller champion toys.

I don't know what version it will be. I don't see any "jewel case" version specifically written in another item.

Only The Last Jedi had two releases. The regular one was digipak. The jewel case appears to be an Amazon UK exclusive. That is why they list two different options. The other two were only released in jewel cases.

Karol

34 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Only The Last Jedi had two releases. The regular one was digipak. The jewel case appears to be an Amazon UK exclusive. That is why they list two different options. The other two were only released in jewel cases.

Karol

In Germany The Force Awakens was available as digipak, too. So, it was quite annoying, that only episode 9 came as a jewel case after having the two digipaks.

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I thought if you buy from US amazon, all 3 are digipacks.

High-res download from Qobuz. Might get a CD as well as I really enjoy this album - it seems like a cross between the previous one but with a touch of his Lord of the Rings as well here and there.

ab67616d0000b2736c4f3ce9e20910138b533079.jpg

Karol

On 09/11/2022 at 5:03 PM, crocodile said:

It is all bit confusing indeed.

Karol

Discogs lists the different packaging for the various territories. I too ended up with VII and IX in jewel cases and VIII in a digipak. I also picked up the Target Digipak for VII with the character art in the logo. Now my completionist urges have kicked in and I will have to get the other packaging variants.

My OCD is also in overdrive about my Hobbit SEs, I waited too long to get BotFA and had to settle for the inferior EU digipak, my other two are the US variants which look quite different.

Which reminds me, I still need to pick up the regular jewel case and super jewel case variants of KotCS.

Question: Which territory had the jewel case version of HtTYD2? Mine arrived in a dreadful cardboard sleeve.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait I don't remember reading about the EU editions of the Hobbit SEes being different than here....

They were released in much cheaper cardboard packaging over here. You got the better ones.

Karol

The differences are akin to the UK/EU vs US versions of the LOTR: EE DVD sets. The UK/EU have flimsy cardboard slipcases with no texturing/embossing but with gold foil type logos, whereas the US sets are sturdier and textured but without the gold foil logos.

I seem to recall that the EU Hobbits also were missing something from the inside of the digipak but can't remember exactly what.

If I ever get around to digging out my Hobbit SEs I'll post some photos of the differences.