Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

As I got now hold of The Torn Curtain OST (which is brillant by the way) I own now nine soundtrack CDs of Hitchcock scores and they are all highlights of my collection.

IMG_20221008_114223~2.jpg

All but two are re-recordings, which is great. Obviously, I am missing some essentials like Joel McNeely's recordings of Herrmann's North by Northwest and The Torn Curtain.

But I am really looking forward to The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Funnily, I am not necessarily a fan of Hitchcock's movies, but his utilization of music and the scores are great.

Some great scores and fine re-recordings there. I have to admit that while it doesn’t have the intensity of Herrmann’s unusual score, Addison acquits himself pretty well. Sadly, as you probably know, McNeely version of Herrmann’s score has considerable reverb issues. Not fatal, but the whole thing is definitely pretty muddy. The Bernstein version, is less comprehensive, but like many Herrmann scores, you don’t miss a massive amount through a little judicious pruning and there’s nothing essential missing. The performance and recording are much better. Sadly very hard to come by as it was in the FSM set (very glad I picked that up!) but maybe there’ll be an opportunity for another label to reissue it sometime.

Also really looking forward to The Man Who Knew Too Much re-recording!

13 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Sadly very hard to come by as it was in the FSM set (very glad I picked that up!) but maybe there’ll be an opportunity for another label to reissue it sometime.

I really really regret not having that box. As well for the Rózsa re-recordings. At least it is available on Spotify.

I have the McNeely Torn Curtain in digital form and yes, the sound is not very good.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I really really regret not having that box. As well for the Rózsa re-recordings. At least it is available on Spotify.

I have the McNeely Torn Curtain in digital form and yes, the sound is not very good.

Even Robert Townson mentioned in an interview it wasn’t a great recording acoustically. But later projects like NORTHBY NORTHWEST and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL came out much better. I really like the sound of their SUPERMAN recording conducted by John Debney. 

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Right. That sounds great.

Yeah and on the heals of getting this godsend recording it was announced that now Rhino would release the complete 2CD set… now that was an awesome time some 22 years ago!

44 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Glad it’s available digitally at least. And agreed the Rozsa works in included are also terrific. I should revisit them!

39 minutes ago, Amer said:

Even Robert Townson mentioned in an interview it wasn’t a great recording acoustically. But later projects like NORTHBY NORTHWEST and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL came out much better. I really like the sound of their SUPERMAN recording conducted by John Debney. 

Absolutely. The North by Northwest recording is my go to version. Intrada did well on their restoration but I don’t think it’ll even sound great and McNeely really nailed it and the recording is excellent too. Ditto on Day the Earth Stood Still. Superman is ok but I think the performance has more issues than others. The Jaws re-recording on the other hand, I really like.

Getting some Mark Isham's...

• Mark Isham: Music for Film (2022)
  • Fire in the Sky (Limited Edition)
  • A River Runs Through It
  • Racing Stripes
  • Men Of Honor
  • Lions For Lambs
  • Nell
  • Life is a house
  • The Black Dahlia
  • The Moderns

The Godfather Suite (Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola) - Carmine Coppola presents a Carmine Coppola production, music composed and conducted by Carmine Coppola*. Cover art by Carmine Coppola**.

*also contains music by Nino Rota.
**possibly a lie.

I will concede that it’s a pretty nice album, well performed by the Milan Philharmonic even if the sound is perhaps a touch upfront rendering it slightly abrasive. However you have to slightly laugh at the cover crediting music by “Carmine Coppola and Nino Rota”. Don’t get me wrong, Coppola’s contributions to the Godfather movies aren’t bad but it all feels a bit disingenuous here, heavily featuring various godfather “dances” by Coppola which are all jolly enough but don’t have the haunting quality of Rota’s music which feels a bit sidelined here. It doesn’t help that some of the arrangements (by Coppola) of Rota’s music are a bit over egged with overblown finales. Not bad as it goes, but there are much better and more balanced Godfather collections out there (notably Silva Screen’s excellent trilogy album from years ago).

I saw this album and though... "Oh they try to advertise Carmine Coppola now"... As far as I'm concerned, he always only wrote extra music to the Godfather Series, no?

I don’t want to take anything away from Coppola's talent, it's just that I find this album to be a little pretentious.

EDIT: I just saw this is a reissue of a 1977 recording.

A derived product for the 50th anniversary, I pass!

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I saw this album and though... "Oh they try to advertise Carmine Coppola now"... As far as I'm concerned, he always only wrote extra music to the Godfather Series, no?

I don’t want to take anything away from Coppola's talent, it's just that I find this album to be a little pretentious.

EDIT: I just saw this is a reissue of a 1977 recording.

A derived product for the 50th anniversary, I pass!

Aha interesting. I got it digitally so didn’t twig it was an older album. However that may explain the brightness of the sound (albeit not showing its age I would say). However yeah pretentious isn’t a bad word for it and his contributions were definitely of the “additional music” variety and arranging for the third film which was after Rota's death. 

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

High-res downloads:

Did you really download the individual episode soundtracks? Does Amazon UK offer them for purchase/downloading? German Amazon only has them for streaming…

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Did you really download the individual episode soundtracks?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34954-bear-mccrearys-the-rings-of-power-appreciation-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1916244

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Did you really download the individual episode soundtracks? Does Amazon UK offer them for purchase/downloading? German Amazon only has them for streaming…

Yeah, I bought them off Qobuz. Sadly, bit pricey but I really do like the music. I would prefer the CD versions of course but somehow doubt they will happen.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I would prefer the CD versions of course but somehow doubt they will happen.

CD editions of the episode albums were announced last week

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34784-bear-mccrearys-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-2022/&do=findComment&comment=1914403

Oh I had no idea. Suppose it is not quite clear what he means by "physical media". Guess I will buy them too if that is the case, hopefully it will be one box set..

It's still nice to have high-res downloads in either case.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Suppose it is not quite clear what he means by "physical media"

It means compact discs and/or vinyl records

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

33 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, I bought them off Qobuz. Sadly, bit pricey but I really do like the music. I would prefer the CD versions of course but somehow doubt they will happen.

Ah! I thought the episode soundtracks were still Amazon exclusive. I'm not up to date with the various RoP threads because I have yet to catch up with the last four episodes.

Bear told us they'd be available outside Amazon music after the season was over, the day they showed up there

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm holding off a purchase for the time being specifically in the hope that there is a box of some sort, but I'd say that's a bit ambiguously worded to ascertain that he's talking about episode albums. It's not like the press release before episode 1 aired that said definitively that full episode scores would be released.

Also, I think that for those who will settle for digital (which will include me if physical doesn't happen) Amazon have shot themselves in the foot slightly. Instead of allowing people to pay $10 each week for a new album, they've now dumped $80 worth of purchases on fans in one go, in addition to the cost of the season album - so at least $100 for the whole lot. Psychologically I reckon that will cause some slightly less serious fans to just buy the season album. I'd have thought a sensible approach would have been a bulk digital release with everything for a discount.

It’s always nice to listen to an HD remasterization of a CD released in the 90s! Made from the Masters, so no surprises, just more definition! 

Roy Orbison - King of Hearts (30th anniversary)

20221016_211824.jpg

"King of Hearts" is a posthumous album made in 1992 with a lot of emotions and love by Orbison's late wife, Barbara and many friends and collaborators, 4 years after Roy Orbison's passing.

It was made of singles and some demos finished especially for this release.

It features by example the 1987 Grammy-winning duet with k.d. lang on "Crying", and "I Drove All Night" (that Roy recorded before dying, but was never released and finally offered to Cindy Lauper)

It’s always nice to listen to an HD remasterization of a CD released in the 90s! Made from the Masters, so no surprises, just more definition!

King of Hearts track listing:

1. YOU’RE THE ONE
2. HEARTBREAK RADIO
3. WE’LL TAKE THE NIGHT
4. CRYING (duet with k.d. lang)
5. AFTER THE LOVE HAS GONE
6. LOVE IN TIME
7. I DROVE ALL NIGHT
8. WILD HEARTS RUN OUT OF TIME
9. COMING HOME
10. CARELESS HEART (Original Demo)

Written by:

1. Roy Orbison/Bill Dees
2. Troy Seals/Frankie Miller
3. Roy Orbison/Will Jennings/J.D. Souther
4. Roy Orbison/Joe Melson
5. Roy Orbison/Jerry L. Williams
6, 8. Roy Orbison/Will Jennings
7. Billy Steinberg/Tom Kelly
9. Roy Orbison/Will Jennings/J.D. Souther
10. Roy Orbison/Diane Warren/Albert Hammond

Just received Lair (LLL) by John Debney and Kevin Kaska. The two were so great in The Orville and the samples were so great that I had to find a copy of this little gem.

10 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Just received Lair (LLL) by John Debney and Kevin Kaska. The two were so great in The Orville and the samples were so great that I had to find a copy of this little gem.

I just realized I have this n my collection. I mean I never got a chance to even open the seal..so How is it?

11 hours ago, Amer said:

I just realized I have this n my collection. I mean I never got a chance to even open the seal..so How is it?

It's terrific. There's some great vocals and texture. I really love it.

I understand that they "remixed" the album, using "inexistant" original elements, as the sessions for this album were made quite "live"... I think they only have live 4-tracks tapes for this album. It's how it was recorded (remember that in 1966 the stereo was still "new", and the reason to record like this was mainly to create a well balanced MONO mix).

So it's a UFO made possible only because of a new technology (created for Peter Jackson's Get Back series). They isolated each element, using an AI... alowing them to "remix" them in a kind of true stereo.

I'll be curious to listen to this, but that's a totally technological thing.