Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

Just won the original Temple of Doom (Japanese 1st pressing) and Last Crusade off Ebay for the sum off $9.73 and $1.25 respectively. woo hoo

Just won a second copy of the original polydor release of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I won't say the price though but I'm thinking someone might want to trade for it.

Just won the original Temple of Doom (Japanese 1st pressing) and Last Crusade off Ebay for the sum off $9.73 and $1.25 respectively. woo hoo

Just won a second copy of the original polydor release of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I won't say the price though but I'm thinking someone might want to trade for it.

You know the Indiana Jones box set that came out in 2008 has everything on that CD but in better sound quality right?

I gave my original copy of TOD away. No need for it now.

Hopefully today's FSM release will be something of interest so I can order Prophecy.

You know the Indiana Jones box set that came out in 2008 has everything on that CD but in better sound quality right?

Because not everyone has the boxset and the original disc was so hard to come by for so long.

But anybody who currently doesn't have any TOD music at all would ONLY want to buy the new release, and have no reason to need the old release.

Ya I don't get the reasoning ...I wouldn't want to buy a less superior product if a better one was out there.

That would be almost like someone buying GNP's Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan, while FSM's complete version is out there in better sound quality and not going for the insane price GNP's going for.

It's a bit different to TWOK, namely because it was A: much rarer, and B: Japanese. People go nuts for anything Japanese. But I bought my TWOK in Virgin Megastore. Couldn't do that with TOD, at least not for the consistently long time that TWOK was available.

I understand the motives of both groups. I can appreciate that spending money on something you already own in expanded and better quality sounds like a dumb idea, but I also am appreciative of the collecting side of the hobby, especially when it's something like that. Maybe this is just me, but if it's something special personally to me, I like having the original releases. I've kept my original IJ trilogy releases, same as I still have SW on vinyl and am currently hunting down the Polydor CD releases, and same as I still have the original first release versions of the OT on VHS. It's just kind of cool.

The 4 disc Star Wars Anthology boxset for $20 AUD. It's the second time round for me with this set. I sold the first one around 1999 after I bought the 2 disc versions in '97.

Now I want that box set! :lol:

A new batch of promos I received:

BioShock 2 - Garry Schyman

Dante's Inferno - Garry Schyman

God Of War III - Gerard Marino, Ron Fish, Cris Velasco, Mike Reagan & Jeff Rona

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Greg Edmonson

Dark Void - Bear McCreary

Asssassin's Creed II (2-disc) - Jesper Kyd

Dead Space - Jason Graves

A Single Man - the best soundtrack of 2009.

I saw the film last week, and the score is absolutely perfect for it. Burwell has been on a roll this past few years.

I think we're talking about different movies and scores. :lol: Not A Serious Man, but A Single Man.

A batch of Flight Of The Conchords CDs:

The Distant Future EP

Flight Of The Conchords

I Told You I Was Freaky

Russkies - James Newton Howard

Decided to finally get this one since I missed it upon release. Better in the long run, I think I got it for less than the original price. $14.99 including shipping.

How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Hopefully today's FSM release will be something of interest so I can order Prophecy.

Everybody keeps fuzzing about Prophecy. How is it?

It's good, there's a mixture of Rosenman's styles. You have his lovely pastoral cues and then it delves into his harsh atonal writing. Plus it has the blaster beam.

Alice. And for good measure (and to get over the 20€-free-shipping mark) I ordered "Annotated Alice" (containing the original and "Through the Looking Glass") as well. About time I finally read it. :)

I hope Dracula is re-issued by the specialty labels, or I may feel like an idiot for passing up the used OST for $40 at a local used CD shop.

Skipping the $30 Spartacus OST was a no-brainer with the rumoured complete score on the horizon.

Received my Lo Chiamavano King, which I won on eBay. It's a CDR, fantastic.

Hmm, well I contacted the seller. She had 1 negative feedback involving the same issue, and on that feedback she offered the buyer a refund. I asked if she would give me the same offer, and she unexpectedly did. So I got my $13 back, and she told me to keep the CD because she doesn't want to sell it again if it's indeed a CDR.

I'm on a roll with great prices for FSM boxes! After my $120 Bernstein Box 2 weeks ago, I've now won the OOP MGM Treasury set for just $125 plus $8 shipping on ebay! I had ordered this set when it was first released but had to sell it off for cash, I'm glad to have it back now, and for original retail no less! I now have the whole collection so far. :D

Bought How to Train Your Dragon and The Dish from Amazon digital, and received Eraser. It sounds remarkably like Volcano, particularly in "Need a Lift", but the 90s guitar firmly gives this score a different personality.

Creation by Christopher Young

I just bought it today. I heard the clips before, but it didn't make much of an impression. But after listening to it twice I find it to be quite lovely. This not the kind of music that you'd normally think of as interesting. But I'd give it a chance. It's a real slow-burner. Well worth checking out.

Edge of Darkness by Howard Shore

I can't quite decide whether I like it or not. Depends on the mood, I guess. Either way, it is both interesting and uninteresting, depending on how you look at it. As expected from Howard Shore.

Karol

Some new stuff recently:

Evelyn Evelyn - the brilliantly bizarre debut album by Evelyn Evelyn, "produced" by Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley.

Supersunnyspeedgraphic, The LP (Ben Folds) - bit of a mixed bag, but none of it is bad, and there are at least two songs which on their own are easily worth the price.

The Last Castle (Goldsmith) - not really any more interesting than I remember from the rather boring suite Goldsmith performed with the LSO in '03. He must have liked it for putting it on the programme, but for me it'll likely be a dust collector

Poltergeist II (Goldsmith) - replacing my CDR of the old release. Still not very excited by it, although it does have a few moments.

The Spiral Road (Goldsmith) - good! Much more accessible than I've come to expect from early 60s Goldsmith. Excellent sound quality, too.

The Goonies (Grusin) - it's ok. I've never seen the film, so there's no nostalgia connection. After two listens, it sounds mostly nice but unremarkable. The best bits seem to be the Steiner cues (although I can just go back to the original score for that, or to Gerhardt's suite, which is the best - it's nice how Grusin worked the Superman theme into it though) and the alternates.

The Glass House (Young) - typical Young, with a couple of really good moments.

A Little Princess (Doyle) - wonderful! Hard to describe in any other way than that is sounds like a balmy summer evening. I want the old Doyle back.

Charles Gerhardt conducts the music of Lee Holdridge - outstanding! I have to keep picking up Holdridge albums blindly, so far they're all great. This one has lots of good stuff, but East of Eden and The Great Whales have truly awesome themes. The best disc in this film music bunch.

Creation by Christopher Young

I just bought it today. I heard the clips before, but it didn't make much of an impression. But after listening to it twice I find it to be quite lovely. This not the kind of music that you'd normally think of as interesting. But I'd give it a chance. It's a real slow-burner. Well worth checking out.

Edge of Darkness by Howard Shore

I can't quite decide whether I like it or not. Depends on the mood, I guess. Either way, it is both interesting and uninteresting, depending on how you look at it. As expected from Howard Shore.

Karol

I think Creation is an excellent score. Young's best in a long long time. Edge Of Darkness is also pretty good IMO.

I think Creation is an excellent score. Young's best in a long long time. Edge Of Darkness is also pretty good IMO.

It's Young's THE VILLAGE. Eventually, every composer should have one!

I was rather surprised by

frontdd8.th.jpg

A darkly romantic score with solo soprano and a haunting classical feel - like a cross between Vaughan Williams and Horner's STAR TREK II theme (with a melancholic vibe).

I think Creation is an excellent score. Young's best in a long long time.

I like it more than his horror music or his two superhero scores. And more than The Shipping News. Which in fact means this is his best for me. :D

Karol

I think Creation is an excellent score. Young's best in a long long time.

I like it more than his horror music or his two superhero scores. And more than The Shipping News. Which in fact means this is his best for me. :)

Karol

By "long long time" I meant since The Shipping News! ;) I don't know which I like more yet.

Received The Goonies by Dave Grusin

Received Eraser last week.

Annoyingly, the liner notes are slightly too big for their holder. Getting them back in place took some very gentle pushing to not damage them. I'm afraid to take them out again. Tight fit indeed.