"Star wars in Concert" - Official Thread

Didi

It was the foulest, most disgusting, over commercial, money-sucking enterprise that I've ever had the misfortune to witness.

I'm guessing you missed TRANSFORMERS 2.

No. Sadly I didn't.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the foulest, most disgusting, over commercial, money-sucking enterprise that I've ever had the misfortune to witness.

The music is relegated to the background behind the risible video & laser wank that surrounds it. I would rather remove my own eyeballs with a teaspoon than go anywhere near this vomit inducing suckfest ever again.

Surely it must be better than the LOTR symphony?

Not to speak that there are these entire "score performed live" shows around the world, which are probably the most awesome film music shows out there. I mean, the scale of the thing. Star Wars show doesn't compare. Even for someone who doesn't exactly love LOTR it's mind-blowing.

Karol

No, it's fine, if a tad unimaginative.

As much as I admire Mauceri, his compilation of cues for the suite is a mess. LOTR has a lot of "filler" material which is fine in the context of the full score because it does a good job at connecting cues and themes. But when those cues are dropped and the filler material left over in places, the whole thing gets very drawn out. I'm pretty sure the orchestra was rather bored much of the time. Add to that the horrible amplification (I don't think I've ever heard a quality orchestra sound this bad) and I'm glad I got my ticket for free.

You do not like it?

The music is relegated to the background behind the risible video & laser wank that surrounds it. I would rather remove my own eyeballs with a teaspoon than go anywhere near this vomit inducing suckfest ever again.

How does it feel to be so much better than everyone?

You do not like it?

Chill down boy, better leave your arrogance at home. It won't help if you are insulting everyone who likes the symphony with this

rude and inappropriate comment.

Chill down boy, better leave your arrogance at home. It won't help if you are insulting everyone who likes the symphony with this

rude and inappropriate comment.

Maybe I missed something, but where is the insulting part?

Karol

You do not like it?

I've been trying to cut down on telling people they need to get laid but I'm really restraining myself here. I do not understand this last post at all but I suppose you found something really irritating about it, so that's fine.

I really, really enjoyed this concert. I wanted to hate it but it had me in tears. So magical!

Mr. Ware has been around the boards long enough to give his opinion.

If he doesn't like it then I imagine there is a good reason. I too passed on seeing because I wasn't interested in the program or setup.

• 3 months later...

Well, it was fun, Anthony daniels was great, the show is a little short, and i would have liked williams to create concert arrangements of some themes that dont have one, like qui-gon, general grievous...i would have made one of AOTC 'the arena' - to little clone wars presentation in the story. I missed true concert versions like han solo and the princess, jar jar and the ewoks.

But since I cannot afford Williams concerts since i have not the luck to have been born in New York, califonia or Massachussets, this has been the closest thing i will problably ever be at one. So i can only thank the producers and everyone involved in this spectacle. Very special thanks to George Lucas. Period.

Well, it was fun, Anthony daniels was great, the show is a little short, and i would have liked williams to create concert arrangements of some themes that dont have one, like qui-gon, general grievous...i would have made one of AOTC 'the arena' - to little clone wars presentation in the story. I missed true concert versions like han solo and the princess, jar jar and the ewoks.

But since I cannot afford Williams concerts since i have not the luck to have been born in New York, califonia or Massachussets, this has been the closest thing i will problably ever be at one. So i can only thank the producers and everyone involved in this spectacle. Very special thanks to George Lucas. Period.

I was there too :lol: at the 6pm showing, enjoyed it very much.

Ignoring some aspects of how I'd of prefered it, I'm just very grateful to of heard some of the music that is most dear to me performed live.

I was happy that the 2nd half started with 'Through the Window' (The Duel/The Clash Of Lightsabers ...whatever you want to call it).

It should however be illegal for young children to attend :)

You guys went there? I went to the 10 pm performance and covered the event for El País and Cadena SER. Didn't think to ask here if people were going.

I was impressed by the performance of the orchestra -- an almost uncanny imitation of the original recordings. Which means it sounded cold and heartless for the most part, but still an impressive feat from a technical point of view.

Yeah i was amazed about some pieces sounding like the originals. Cold and hearless? Never thought that bout the Williams' versions ...

I went to 6:00 pm.

Damn..i thought nobody was going since nobody responded to my announcement. We could have made a little JWFan meeting... :lol:

Yeah i was amazed about some pieces sounding like the originals. Cold and hearless? Never thought that bout the Williams' versions ...

I went to 6:00 pm.

Damn..i thought nobody was going since nobody responded to my announcement. We could have made a little JWFan meeting... :)

I know Luke, a shame ...I didn't even think to check this thread, glad you enjoyed it though :lol:

Cold and heartless? Definitely not the same versions I've been listening to then.

Cold and heartless? Definitely not the same versions I've been listening to then.

Nor I.

Yeah, heartless is not the correct word. On hindsight, I meant "Surgically cold and methodical." I felt no spark. But maybe it was because the music always felt to be second to the images and the narration.

Nor I.

Yeah, heartless is not the correct word. On hindsight, I meant "Surgically cold and methodical." I felt no spark. But maybe it was because the music always felt to be second to the images and the narration.

ah, but you mean the show is the one cold and heartless (since they try to emulate another performance), not the original recordings?

then its ok. :)

I Love the Show ;).

I went to see at The O2 Arena In London (Premiere) last year in April. Went to see it again about 2 weeks ago in Sheffield, then went to Manchester to see it for a 3rd Time last week.

I thought Dirk Brosse and the RPO did an amazing job. I want to see it all again and again. The Imperial March made my hairs stand on end everytime!

I saw it last night in Lisbon and I thought the performance was absolutely top notch. I was particularly impressed with The Asteroid Field and The Forest Battle

I saw it last night in Lisbon and I thought the performance was absolutely top notch. I was particularly impressed with The Asteroid Field and The Forest Battle

There was a Portuguese narrator?

I agree that the performances were top notch, yet it was the encore that really sounded special for me -- no filmic distractions and was really only about the music, much more free of constrains.

There was a Portuguese narrator?

It's antiny daniels talking in english with subtitles. He greets and farewells in local language, at least in spain.

I loved the encore. For me, It was a little snippet of how a true concert is :)

I see the performance in Bercy (Paris) on March 17, 2010 ! It was great, a spectacular show with the wonderful narrator Anthony Daniels, very very nice ! I'm just quite deceived by sound : to digital movies one, while we expect a more operatic or grand hall sound... so we can't heard some instruments... But except this, it was a wonderful experience ! You can see few less than 200 pictures here :

The Exhibition : exhibition

The 1st part (Anakin's saga) : Anakin's saga

The 2nd part (Luke's saga) : Luke's saga

And the great finale : Finale

See you for next News from France !

Waaa?

I'm flipping the channels and I see a 2 hours slot for Star Wars In Concert on PBS (description: Combines the music of Star Wars performed by a live symphony orchestra with specially edited footage from all six Star Wars films)

but I'm just too late and I missed it

So it seems the TV was recorded for TV...anyone saw this?

Waaa?

I'm flipping the channels and I see a 2 hours slot for Star Wars In Concert on PBS (description: Combines the music of Star Wars performed by a live symphony orchestra with specially edited footage from all six Star Wars films)

but I'm just too late and I missed it

So it seems the TV was recorded for TV...anyone saw this?

Please do not joke. Where do you live???

PBS did air a "making of" special but it was only 30 minutes.

Saw Star Wars in Concert this night in Antwerp, Belgium. Was absolutely amazing. Will never forget it.

No I live in Belgium now ;) Only took an hour to get there. Had thought I was going to be home in Scotland to see it but I wasn't, was lucky to get tickets. Anthony Daniels spoke in French and Dutch which was amusing, he did a good job of it :P

Does Padme = MissPadme?

Miss Padme if you want to be formal ;)

MissPadme the member? Nope, this is the only account for moi.