Shia LaBeouf acknowledges Indiana Jones 4 was disappointing

Jay

he's not willing to forget about what he says were rampant problems with Indy 4 -- and he doesn't expect fans to, either."I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished," LaBeouf said, explaining that this upped the ante for him before he began shooting the "Wall Street" sequel. "If I was going to do it twice, my career was over. So this was fight-or-flight for me."

Meeting with reporters Saturday on a terrace at the Hotel du Cap, he had some strong, confessional words about his acting in the film, which he said he felt didn't convince anyone that he was the action hero the movie claimed him to be. "You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven [spielberg, who directed]. But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple."

LaBeouf said that he could have kept quiet, especially given the movie's blockbuster status, but didn't think the film had fooled anyone. "I think the audience is pretty intelligent. I think they know when you've made ... . And I think if you don't acknowledge it, then why do they trust you the next time you're promoting a movie." LaBeouf went on to say he wasn't the only star on the film who felt that way. "We [Harrison Ford and LaBeouf] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted."

LaBeouf added, "We need to be able to satiate the appetite," he said. "I think we just misinterpreted what we were trying to satiate."

Asked whether this was difficult to say, given his deep relationship with Spielberg, LaBeouf continued with the directness.

"I'll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I'm not out of line. And I would never disrespect the man. I think he's a genius, and he's given me my whole life. He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/05/shia-labeouf-wall-street-2-indiana-jones-steven-spielberg.html

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say, that's the most refreshingly direct thing I've heard in mainstream Hollywood for a while! ;) He literally said "Steven dropped the ball" regarding Indy IV. And he's right. As soon as I left the theater on premiere night, I knew there had to be an Indy V. The series deserves to be redeemed, and it's up to Harrison to play up the vigorous action hero (regardless of his age) this time, rather than blatantly signposting over and over again that -- YES, INDIANA JONES IS OLDER NOW.

Yeah, I saw this. Shifting the onus to Spielberg is right I guess, since it should have been Spielberg's job to reel Lucas in with his bullshit. Props to LaBeouf for coming out with though. It could be the nail in the coffin for Indy 5 though, considering he also dropped Ford's name.

An interesting move on his part. Very cool to be open and honest about one's shortcomings or failures. I actually disagree with him, though - I thought he did a pretty good job with what he was given. As far as I'm concerned, most of the problems still came down from Lucas, Spielberg (to a much smaller degree), and to the collective cast and crew who didn't or couldn't convince them to change things.

Moot point for me, though, really...I still like the film, despite its abundant flaws.

Glad to see he acknowledges this. To me Indy 4 was Close Encounters Of The Third Kind meets Indiana Jones. I mean it had some decent parts but over all I felt like Lucas and Spielberg were trying too hard. I wouldn't have any doubts if Ford agrees with LaBeouf. I'm hoping that Indiana Jones 5 never gets made.

Actually, this makes me want Indy V all the more. I don't think the desire and interest in another film that has been expressed by cast and crew is all just BS, and I think if this honesty and frankness can be taken to heart and real thought to where they messed up is taken, it could be much improved. Not only that, there is much more to like in KOTCS than people give it credit for. Everytime I watch it, I know exactly what bugs me about it, and I still can't help enjoying it. That's saying something right there. I admire LaBeouf's honesty in expressing this, and I hope that they take this into Indy V.

Still, Shia LaBeouf was far from the worst thing in Indy 4. I'm not sure why he's taking the blame

Shia LABeouf ,Harrison Ford and John Williams didn't drop the ball

George Lucas,Steven Spielberg and the screen writer dropped the ball

Don't forget he's saying this whilst promoting the Wall Street sequel, which I imagine is a mostly different clientele from the Indy films. I imagine he's trying to convice people he can pull off the Wall Street role by owning up to his own faults in a film that is considered average (or below) by many. All that aside, I agree that LaBeouf wasn't the worst thing about the film - I was also for the idea of Indy's son, but it needed to be done with more conviction, which is the screenwriter's fault.

I concur with KM, Shia did the best he could, with the mess of a script he had to work with. Spielberg had dropped the ball way before this though, and George Lucas can just fuck right off, forever.

Kudos to Shia for being frank; I imagine this will annoy Lucas much more than Spielberg though.

Also, I don't buy into the 'fans' opinion that Lucas is the main reason why this movie is such a fuck up; no - blame and responsibility lies on the shoulders of Spielberg - the all powerful director. It is he who made a mess of Indy IV, directly and indirectly (the approval of Koepp's rewrite?) and if he suddenly feels sheepish and even disliked because of the reaction of the Indy faithful, then maybe making this movie did him the world of good.

I think people are much too critical of KOTCS. Expectations were too high - viewers need to be more realistic. I for one was satisfied - I felt like I was along for the ride again with Indiana Jones on one of his trademark adventures; that's all anyone could really ask for. The only scene that I really didn't like was the the monkey vine scene. I'm not a fan of Shia LaBeouf in general but he did a decent job (going into it I was afraid he would ruin the movie for me since he kind of gets on my nerves). All of the Indy movies incorporate supernatural elements, and since this one took place in the 50's it was only logical that aliens would be involved. Nothing was too far off from the canon. The opening sequence with the nuke was classic. KOTCS still ranks above Temple of Doom out of the four films in my book.

I think people are much too critical of KOTCS

I disagree.

KOTCS still ranks above Temple of Doom out of the four films in my book.

I strongly disagree.

It wasn't as horrible as some people here make it out to be though. Still better than a lot of the "popcorn" movies coming out (same with the SW prequels)

I'd rather have a mediocre Indiana Jones movie than something like Sherlock Holmes or Robin Hood to look forward to

Personally, I think Shia's Transformers is a better made and more enjoyable movie than Indiana Jones 4. I'm hardly a fan of the Transformers franchise (haven't seen the sequel), but at least Bay's effort was cohesive and competent.

It's a trick. He's actually saying "but the next one is going to rock, you'll see". They are asking for forgiveness ever since Temple Of Doom.

Still, Shia LaBeouf was far from the worst thing in Indy 4. I'm not sure why he's taking the blame

Shia LABeouf ,Harrison Ford and John Williams didn't drop the ball

George Lucas,Steven Spielberg and the screen writer dropped the ball

I agree. Ford and LaBoeuf did a more than decent job. Still, I enjoyed the movie for what it was, i.e. a child-ish popcorn movie with at least three or four sequences worth the ticket price.

Also, I wouldn't be too harsh on Spielberg, as he probably made all the things he could to make the film less cringe-inducing. The big problem with Indy IV is the inconsequential scriptwriting and a general lack of propulsion in the narrative.

And John Williams is probably the single crew memeber who made it out of this with his full dignity intact.

People who complain should watch Transformers before they watch Indy 4.

Then they will see that Indy 4 is not that bad. :P

And John Williams is probably the single crew memeber who made it out of this with his full dignity intact.

;)

I put the blame with Spielberg mainly - he had the power to say no to some of Lucas' stupid ideas, but also he's changed as a director, and doesn't seem to be as snappy as he was when he made the first three.

Shia did the best he could with the material IMO. Nothing wrong with his performance.

I don't think Williams dropped the ball entirely. I do think though that the creative requirements of the film ventured into areas that I think other composers are more skilled at (i.e. prolonged sequences of little activity).

I put the blame with Spielberg mainly - he had the power to say no to some of Lucas' stupid ideas, but also he's changed as a director, and doesn't seem to be as snappy as he was when he made the first three.

In ten years you'll say Spielberg doesn't seem as snappy as he was when he made the first four (or five ... or six).

It was a mediocre score for a mediocre movie.

But a mediocre JW score is still worth having, IMO.

Williams has been mediocre for the same amount of time as Spielberg. His last great score was Spielberg's last great movie: Saving Private Ryan. The rest have been mediocre or crap (WOTW, Minority Report, basically anything with Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks).

It was a mediocre score for a mediocre movie.

But a mediocre JW score is still worth having, IMO.

Williams has been mediocre for the same amount of time as Spielberg. His last great score was Spielberg's last great movie: Saving Private Ryan. The rest have been mediocre or crap (WOTW, Minority Report, basically anything with Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks).

;) Nice to hear your opinion, but I bet many would disagree.

A.I. is an awesome score. And Minority Report too.

Not to mention the Spielberg-produced Memoirs of a Geisha.

In what way is SPR better than those? It's leaden americana drenched in pathos with almost none of the gusto that made something like BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY so noteworthy. It's such an unoriginal approach to the film at hand it almost hurts.

AI is absolute torture (the film). Just abysmal. I had forgotten about it.

Catch Me If You Can....The Terminal....ugh. I just don't know what Spielberg has been thinking in the last 15 years. They all suck.

AI is absolute torture (the film). Just abysmal. I had forgotten about it.

Catch Me If You Can....The Terminal....ugh. I just don't know what Spielberg has been thinking in the last 15 years. They all suck.

Hmmm, it's not all black and white, you know. Just because it's not a HUGE blockbuster success like E.T., Jaws, Raiders, or Jurassic Park, doesn't mean it's all crap.

I for one like MR, AI, CMIFY, and even WotW.