What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Looking through 10/2017-2018 purchases now for tracks to add to my Halloween playlist.  Been a pretty sparse year for purchases for financial reasons, and even sparser for scores that are horror-adjacent, so I'll likely be able to listen to all "potential candidates" in one day - and I'm actually doubtful I'll find anything I want to use for my purposes.

Cloverfield Paradox (McCreary)

Justice League Dark (Kral)

Stranger Things S2 (Dixon/Stein)

Walking Dead (McCreary)

The Tale of Two Mummies multiple times

The Goldsmith one is a bit more of a majestic, classic adventure score that successfully balances on the fine line between grand and over-the-top, the Silvestri one is unashamedly over-the-top swashbuckling action. The Goldsmith is great either in pieces or on the whole, the SIlvestri one has great highlights but staggers and suffers at times as a whole. I did listen to MFBR about 10 times today alone, but I'd definitely say I prefer the first one.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino

Probably the score of 2018 that subjectively appeals the most to my dumb taste. At the very least, I'd wager it's my favorite thing Giacchino's done that's not for an animated film. For my ears, the main theme is one of his most interesting creations. 

Croc by Justin Scharvona 

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Screenplay by Sam Hamm.

I was always amused by this name because if you say it, in Polish it would mean something like "boor himself" (although spelling would be different). ;)

:music: Lost in Space by Bruce Broughton. Wish all rushed scoring assignments turned out as good as this one. While it isn't exactly a score of great dramatic depth or psychological insight, the writing is really strong all the way through and way above most stuff written these days with schedules 6 times as long.

Karol

Little Women by Thomas Newman

I liked this score much more than I expected to.  A joy to listen to, first of all.  And Newman's integration of his style with period flavor and typical cinematic lushness is done quite well.

Supergirl by Jerry Goldsmith

Overall, a score I liked a little bit less.  Which is not to say it does not have a lot going for it.  Obviously writing in the shadow of Williams's Superman. Goldsmith was able to craft an admirably distinct score.  The orchestral writing is absolutely superb, particularly in the brass and woodwinds.  The themes are also fantastic, sounding more like they belong in a classical piece.  At least I wanted to hear them developed further.  

But then there are the electronics.  Hit and miss for me.  Sometimes he gets the textures right.  Other times the electronics sound tacked on at best, funny and dated at worst.

I'm not completely opposed to electronics in orchestral film scores, but I'd rather they don't remind me of Mr. Robato.      

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Any love for Stewart Copeland's Spyro music around here?

Stewart Copland?  From The Police?

Not my cup of tea, the music.  But his brother did manage The Bangles, so I'll take a listen.

Crazy Rich Asians - Brian Tyler

Wow!! This was a pleasant surprise as I'm not an enormous fan of Tyler (although he does have some great moments). This score is the exact opposite of his action work but it's a really pleasant listen. The melodies aren't necessarily the most inspired but Tyler makes it up the lovely romantic sound. Also some nice big jazzy stuff - reminds me of Desplat's Secret Life of Pets and Giacchino's Incredibles

Here's a nice preview of two cues conducted by Tyler:

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Star Trek V

Good dynamic range on this one

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

It's a gloriously dry and dynamic recording.

Titanic

An official Bone-Dry Botnick Recording™

:music: Ready Player One. A very fine score by Alan Silvestri. The album might seem bit all over the place but it's no wonder since he works his way around so many pop songs in the film. In order to appreciate just how good of a job he did, you need to watch the film. The album probably requires some trimming and re-arranging the get the most out of the material.

Karol

First time I've listened to Goldsmith's Supergirl theme.

Absolutely wonderful! Do I listen to the full score or is this the main highlight?

4 minutes ago, Matt C said:

First time I've listened to Goldsmith's Supergirl theme.

Absolutely wonderful! Do I listen to the full score or is this the main highlight?

There's plenty more in that score to get goosebumpy and erecty about.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Botnick doesn't do dry. Well, rarely. Poltergeist perhaps, but even that's on the juicy side.

I just liked the sound Bone-dry Botnick.  I can’t think of a good word for wet that starts with B