What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Medal of Honor: Airborne by Michael Giacchino

Definitely my favourite from the series. It sounds like fully formed Giacchino, unlike most of the previous three. And the end credits track is by far his best arrangement of the main theme. Is the La-La Land box coming out or not? I like this one and Frontline and I wouldn't mind to own the first two (why not?). I don't care for the rest though. But the price tag is encouraging.

Karol

Definitely my favourite from the series. It sounds like fully formed Giacchino, unlike most of the previous three. And the end credits track is by far his best arrangement of the main theme. Is the La-La Land box coming out or not? I like this one and Frontline and I wouldn't mind to own the first two (why not?). I don't care for the rest though. But the price tag is encouraging.

Karol

Late March/Early April is the word.

Karol

My favourite of his MoH OSTs. If I could buy this one alone (on CD, not digitally), I'd on the spot.

Innerspace

Love this one. It's got a lot of heart. I know the miniaturization sequence was temped with The Natural, and that theme was re-arranged a little to form the basis for the main theme for Innerspace, but I don't care. It's still soooo Goldsmith, working in that heartfelt Americana mode he perfected in the late 80's (Explorers, Star Trek V, Hoosiers). The synth works pretty well in this score. I like how synth effects are used as leitmotif. The high pitched chirping for the chip, and the metallic clanging for Mr. Igoe (and his snap-on appendages). I know Star Trek V gets a lot of deserved praise, and I think if you enjoyed that, you'll find a lot of similar energy in Innerspace, but with a more spritely, comedic twist.

The OST of Innerspace was the first CD I ever got, with about 30 minutes of score, and the other half of the CD filled by pop songs. Worst of all, the Goldsmith section always ended on a bit of an abrupt segment. It's so great to have the proper conclusion to this score on the LLL disc. "Disengage" is particularly spine-tingling. It just soars. :up:

Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

A somewhat lightweight fantasy score with a number of highlight moments; it's a pleasant 45 minute listen.

Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

A somewhat lightweight fantasy score with a number of highlight moments; it's a pleasant 45 minute listen.

Scorenotes.com gave it 10/10. Preety good, I guess ;)

This score is one of the reasons why film music continues to inspire and dazzle me.

I wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer.

Yup. I watched the film yesterday and liked what I heard (even though it was mixed very low). Immediately afterwards I ordered the CD.

Karol

Yup. I watched the film yesterday and liked what I heard (even though it was mixed very low). Immediately afterwards I ordered the CD.

Karol

Most scores these days fall short. This one has exceeded my already high expectations. I don't remember me being that exicited listening to a score for the first time since Prisoner of Azkaban.

I always find it interesting when things are given 10/10. Is that relative to other scores which would have a similar score? Should it be? It doesn't leave much room.

Well, for me it always means "helluva score, you won't be disappointed" rather than "next Swan Lake or 9th Symphony..."

I always find it interesting when things are given 10/10. Is that relative to other scores which would have a similar score? Should it be? It doesn't leave much room.

Well, for me it always means "helluva score, you won't be disappointed" rather than "next Swan Lake or 9th Symphony..."

Same. I think that's the point of the high ratings.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban complete score promo in high resolution 5.1 audio

For about 37 seconds I thought this was a serious post before I read the above posts... Sad face.

Innerspace

Love this one. It's got a lot of heart. I know the miniaturization sequence was temped with The Natural, and that theme was re-arranged a little to form the basis for the main theme for Innerspace, but I don't care. It's still soooo Goldsmith, working in that heartfelt Americana mode he perfected in the late 80's (Explorers, Star Trek V, Hoosiers). The synth works pretty well in this score. I like how synth effects are used as leitmotif. The high pitched chirping for the chip, and the metallic clanging for Mr. Igoe (and his snap-on appendages). I know Star Trek V gets a lot of deserved praise, and I think if you enjoyed that, you'll find a lot of similar energy in Innerspace, but with a more spritely, comedic twist.

The OST of Innerspace was the first CD I ever got, with about 30 minutes of score, and the other half of the CD filled by pop songs. Worst of all, the Goldsmith section always ended on a bit of an abrupt segment. It's so great to have the proper conclusion to this score on the LLL disc. "Disengage" is particularly spine-tingling. It just soars. :up:

This was one of my grails, I had the original album as well.

There was a wealth of cues left off the original album I wanted to hear away from the film, The Cowboy, Transformed and Retransformed were 3 of those. Plus we get more of the love theme.

The Agony And The Ecstasy by Alex North/Jerry Goldsmith

Frost/Nixon and Inception by Hans Zimmer

Live Free Or Die Hard by Marco Beltrami

Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull by John Williams

Milk by Danny Elfman

Medal Of Honor and Medal Of Honor: Underground by Michael Giacchino

Karol

Rango by Hans Zimmer

The best score of the year gets one of the worst releases in a long time. The "Rango Suite" is pretty much the only listenable cue. If there is a god, the recording sessions for this baby will someday reach my hard drive.

Who would have thought, eh? ;)

The Red Canvas by James Peterson

A good, big, bold, brassy, old-fashined antidote for most stuff these days. Still can't believe this has been written for a dopey 2009 film. I simply can't. It's like Miklos Rozsa reincarnated. Literally.

Moby Dick by Christopher Gordon

Another great throwback. Probably even better.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind by John Williams

Yup, you guessed it! Better than two above combined. :)

Karol - waiting impatiently for Copernicus' Star.

Just listened to Mark McKenzie's The Great Miracle yesterday, it's an absolutely gorgeous score!

Written for large orchestra, boys choir and chorus. It's a work of tremendous merit.

You MUST check it out! It's on itunes and Amazon, sadly not a physical CD release.

- Tim

Gave ROTJ a listen after redoing the edit. A spectacular score, with so much going on. I ache for a proper remastering.

Although this has reignited the age-old personal battle of which is best: Ewok Celebration or Victory Celebration? I'm still not sure. I wonder what we would think if the latter was the one from 1983.

I really loved the Victory Celebration, until one day on a trip to L.A., I heard a Mariachi Band playing in the street, and it sounded just like it. It's still a fine composition, with some genuine emotion in it, but the earthly connection removed any otherworldly texture for me.

Medal of Honour - European Assault: Christopher Lennertz

It starts promising enough but then sort of wanders through the short album. It's not bad material at all, it's just not Giacchino good.

I really loved the Victory Celebration, until one day on a trip to L.A., I heard a Mariachi Band playing in the street, and it sounded just like it. It's still a fine composition, with some genuine emotion in it, but the earthly connection removed any otherworldly texture for me.

:lol:

I would love to hear that version.

I cannot disagree more about the action sequences. I love Courage's use of the Nuclear Man Theme....that theme gains momentum wonderfully (and I think that's partially due to the way Williams wrote it, partially due to the way Courage adapted it).

I agree. I think Ken Thorne did a great job of adapting Williams' material but Superman IV is the best sequel score to the original film. I think Courage did a great job.

Medal of Honour - European Assault: Christopher Lennertz

It starts promising enough but then sort of wanders through the short album. It's not bad material at all, it's just not Giacchino good.

After Giacchino's excellent work I was somewhat disappointed when I got Lennertz first MOH score.

and the classical symphonic orchestra doesnt? ;)

mm i think he is saying the mariachi sounded extacly like victory celebration (instrumentation) not a mariachi arrangement of the music.

though victory celeb is more similar to brazilian bossa nova - samba than mexican mariachi music, i think ???

An Ewok Mariachi band. Adorable yet creepy.

Stargate: Deluxe Edition

Very nice score, with a slight stylistic nod to John Williams.

Prepping for the expanded ID4. :)

Have you never listened to these before?

I've only just ordered the ID4 Expanded (99.9% Complete), but I'm familiar with the OST (my copy is lost to the mists of time).

I've had Stargate DE for a long time, but haven't listened to it for a while.

Arnold's best.

I've only just ordered the ID4 Expanded (99.9% Complete), but I'm familiar with the OST (my copy is lost to the mists of time).

I've had Stargate DE for a long time, but haven't listened to it for a while.

Arnold's best.

It's my favourite too.

and the classical symphonic orchestra doesnt? ;)

mm i think he is saying the mariachi sounded extacly like victory celebration (instrumentation) not a mariachi arrangement of the music.

though victory celeb is more similar to brazilian bossa nova - samba than mexican mariachi music, i think ???

To be fair, mariachi and Victory Celebration has almost no relation, instrumentation-wise. :P

If I remember correctly, mariachi bands feature 2 trumpets, 1 or 2 violins, and 3-4 guitars of varying sizes.

I do agree though, I get a more bossa nova vibe from it too.

While I do like Stargate, I consider both ID4 and Tomorrow Never Dies better

I consider them Arnold's TOP3, but scorewise I am fond of Stargate the most. Pity CoN:VoDT hasn't lived up to that standard.

I don't think it is. The highlights are pretty good, and the middle section that people say drags really isn't bad, you just have to pay attention to the details in the music to get the most of it.

So is this the first official David Arnold let-down?

Karol

I guess so, given the expectations I had, although I can't say I don't like it. It has it's moments, but too few to rank it among his best. It's not among his worst, either.

I listened to this album quite a bit now and I think a major problem with it is the fact that, for the most part, it's not really a traditional fantasy score. It is much more modern. I couldn't help but think I was listening to a Bond score during the final battle.

Karol - who kind of likes it actually (but not so much)

I listened to this album quite a bit now and I think a major problem with it is the fact that, for the most part, it's not really a traditional fantasy score. It is much more modern. I couldn't help but think I was listening to a Bond score during the final battle.

Karol - who kind of likes it actually (but not so much)

Godzilla was preety modern, too, but it was much more engaging and overall better-written score. I also prefer QoS' action music to VoDT's. On the other hand, Arnie's Narnia wins with its quiter, lyrical parts. They are the strongest asset of that score.

Godzilla was modern, yes. And I like it too. But CON3 is an entirely different beast. But then I should have known. After all HGW's scores were modern too.

But still, as you said, there is a lot to listen to anyway. Like following the development of 5-6 themes (motifs?) throughout.

Karol

Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

Wonderful score, intimate chracter moments mixed with ballsy themes and orchestration (thanks Shirley).

Lover's Prayer - Joel McNeely

A lovely subdued romantic work. It's definitely one of the best scores that McNeely ever wrote (far better than his temp track action scores or his lightweight kiddie scores).