What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yeah I understand your affection for the album version, but it is also one of the Horner most shameless examples of plagiarism.

Karol

that plagarism bullshit is so fucking old, save it for someone else please.

Lionheart.

I listened to this countless of times and it never gets old or stale! More like the opposite, it gets fresher the more I listened to it!

I'd love to see this turn up in Tadlow's Goldsmith recording project. Though it hardly will - my idea would be to replace the synth horns with decent brass (I have a feeling that they're mostly there because the real orchestra's brass wasn't up to the task).

Yeah I understand your affection for the album version, but it is also one of the Horner most shameless examples of plagiarism.

Karol

that plagarism bullshit is so fucking old, save it for someone else please.

I'm a big fan of his, but that doesn't mean I need to stay ignorant to some obvious things. As the matter of fact, not to be bitchy, I'm going to show you exactly what I mean (at 23.30):

That's why the film version is better, I reckon.

Karol

sorry but I can't watch it here and I won't watch it at home. I'm sure your proof is anything conclusive anyways.

why don't one of you who always brings this shit up go to Mr. Horner and talk to him about it. confront him, and do the same with John too, afterall Indy 4 accused him of plagerism yesterday.

sorry but I can't watch it here and I won't watch it at home. I'm sure your proof is anything conclusive anyways.

why don't one of you who always brings this shit up go to Mr. Horner and talk to him about it. confront him, and do the same with John too, afterall Indy 4 accused him of plagerism yesterday.

What I think is that he might not be even aware of it. That's how creative mind works and anyone who ever tried to write anything knows that - you subconciously recreate some of the things that existed before. But the fact is way too many people notice it, so there must be something to it, you have to admit...

It is a tired subject, though. I'll give you that.

Karol

The plagiarism in Stealing the Enterprise is too big to ignore. It has always bothered me quite a bit, specially since I was familiar with Romeo and Juliet before ever listening to ST III. And Horner does have a strong precedent with Prokofiev quotes

"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it was a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing
gum wrapper and unlock the secret of the universe."

Yesterday I listened to all three complete scores for Back To The Future as well as Star Trek The Motion Picture.. I'm currently listening to Intrada's wonderful release for Star Trek VI.

Breaking Bad. Still one of the best TV composers/scores out there, I hope for a Volume 2 from Dave Porter.

I love the show so much, and the music seems effective when I hear it on the show, but it's just too ambient for me to get into. It doesn't do anything for me.

Breaking Bad. Still one of the best TV composers/scores out there, I hope for a Volume 2 from Dave Porter.

I love the show so much, and the music seems effective when I hear it on the show, but it's just too ambient for me to get into. It doesn't do anything for me.

Yea. The show is amazing and the music in it is great while you're watching, but I would never be compelled to listen to it on it's own.

peter_pan.jpg

PETER PAN - Benjamin Wallfisch

A nice little gem written for a stage production, only released digitally so far. It's more stately and elegant than HOOK & Co., although hints of plum fairy music in the Tinkerbell parts are a distant reminder. The general mood is more related to something like BUCKBEAK'S FLIGHT filtered through a good James Newton Howard blender (it's not that far from JNH's PETER PAN minus the sugary parts). Some of the more impressionistic cues (i.e. for the mermaids) have that mysterious siren-quality i often missed in the more workmanlike Hollywood scores.

9547.jpg

FIRST LOVE - John Barry

Been there, done that. Typical strings-vs.-flute romantic Barry with some upbeat e-bass and jazzy source cues being the only vitalizing shot in the arm. It's nice and pleasant in that 'i have the main title on some compilation and it's quite enough' kind of way, meaning that a complete releases is rather pointless, on the other hand: who but a Barry completist would buy it anyway?

Yea. The show is amazing and the music in it is great while you're watching, but I would never be compelled to listen to it on it's own.

I don't think I paid attention to the music at all. As in, it didn't make me pay attention to it.

Now that I think about it, that's a disappointing aspect of the show.

Serenada Schizophrana, Standing Operating Procedure, Mission: Impossible, Sommersby, The Wolfman and Batman Returns. My six favourite works from Danny Elfman. :)

Karol

Well you have 2 or 3 of my favourite Elfman in that list. Great stuff. :)

Is one of them Mission: Impossible? That score is the first I heard from Elfman, and for me it's still his best. He did a great job on re-using Schifrin's The Plot (and adopting his "military percussion"), and developing it into a motif in his score. I also like his use of ethnic percussion here, which is very experimental i.m.o. A 5-star score for me.

I just picked up the Varèse Sarabande Out of Africa. It's quite lovely and to my ears sounds superior to the OST (as well as having some additional cues, several of which I don't believe are even in the film).

Has anyone else heard this?

Yared's rejected score for Troy is one of the most engaging works composed in the last decade. It's rejection is one of the most stupid things to have happened with director/producer/composer relationships.

Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

This score is still quite a revelation, the electronic rhythms and synths are blended seamlessly with the orchestral performers. The electronic parts are complex, engaging and makes for a superb ambient soundtrack by itself. But with a big orchestra behind it, it gives depth and life to the electronic parts -- and I'm still amazed at how organic it all feels as a whole. "Sea of Revelation" is fast becoming my favorite cue of the album next to "Finale"... but the entire score is still amazing.

If Disney actually gets that Tron Legacy sequel up and running, I can't wait to see what Daft Punk will write for that.

Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader - David Arnold

I think people really underrate this score, since it doesn't hit those highs Stargate and Godzilla do, but it captures that Narnia sensibility better than Gregson-Williams did in the first two films. Arnold does more than pay lip service to Gregson-Williams by integrating his theme several times, and arranges it properly (especially that grand Stargate arrangement in "High King and Queen of Narnia"). "Opening Titles" really sets up that magnificent original theme and the last three cues (especially "Time to Go Home") cap off the album beautifully.

Oh there's nothing wrong with this score per se. It is well thought-out, develops half dozen themes and all. But at the same time it just feels... I don't know...empty? Hard to put my finger on why this might be. I listen to it every now and then, but this work is just not a soaring triumph that it should have been.

Back to the Future by Alan Silvestri

Certainly less polished than his latter works, a work of composer still trying to find his feet in Hollywood. Still, a very entertaining and admirable score.

First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith

Not at all what I expected. I knew the (excellent) theme before, but the rest was a great unknown to me. Not quite an all out action as most people say, more of an tense hunting suspense. And brilliantly realised at that! It seems to merge the contemplative side of Patton (well, some of the trumpet writing recalls that score for me) with the tribal brutality of Planet of the Apes (not that avant garde, though). I'm amazed how captivating he makes it sound in the end. Impressive.

Silverado by Bruce Broughton

Another tense and brutal action score. A western at its grandest and film music at its most fun!

Karol

Great score. Not exactly what you'd expect of an Arthurian adventure but the score has great moments.

The show is crap though.

Far and Away by John Williams: I am glad I revisited this gem of a score. It contains both a brilliantly foot tapping ethnic spirit and orchestral sweep and grandeur of the epics of old. Gorgeous central love theme that is old fashionedly developed in true Hollywood style from humble beginnings to the unabashedly romantic heights it attains in the end credits and Maestro even weaves some robust and brassy heroism for the Americana moments in the story, the conquering of the Oklahoma territory glowing with unbridled musical glory and excitement. Truly a spine tingling musical journey and a strong album mixing of various ethnic elements, themes and moods into a wonderful 65 minute listening experience.

A Good Day To Die Hard

A by no means a masterpiece of any sort. Mostly a wall-to-wall action scoring. There is nothing original or unique about it, but it manages to do two things: honour the legacy of its series and not repeat any material from the previous one. Apparently, they were going for the 70's sound in this one. Hence, the rusted swagger is back. But these stylistic licks are merely colours over the typical modern action. Fun.

Here is an example of how Beltrami treats Kamen's material this time around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePKkVXhoFMA

Jane Eyre

I'm thinking of buying the LLL next week, paired with The Fury.

Karol

The Fellowship of the Ring Rarities by Howard Shore: I decided to take a listen of all the wealth of alternates and rarities from Fellowship of the Ring. All by themselves they form almost a second parallel take on the narrative through the entire score if you line them all up from the alternate Prologue to the Breaking of the Fellowship. It is fascinating to hear the different approaches and ways Shore and the film makers looked at the story but also those wonderful Theatrical Edition pieces that did not naturally make it on to the CRs.

And now it is time to take yet another listen of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. :)

Double Williams feature: two wonderful overlooked scores Empire of the Sun and Family Plot. The latter is slowly climbing up to become one of my favourites.

Karol

I wouldn't say either of those are overlooked at all! Though, it is true that neither made the top 20 scores as voted on by JWFanners this year, hmmm.....

Franz Waxman's Bride of Frankenstein,

The rerecording isn't up the what's heard in the film but it is a nice approximation.

Jason, I think Empire of the Sun would have been in the top 25 had I counted that far down. Family plot got one or two votes, certainly not many.

Great score. Not exactly what you'd expect of an Arthurian adventure but the score has great moments.

"Not what you'd expect of an Arthurian adventure"? And what would you expect, Merciful One? I think the score fits the Arthurian legend perfectly.

It's not as rowdy or bombastic a score that you'd expect of a more swashbuckling Arthurian adventure (I'm thinking "Robin Hood" level here Messenger). Instead, the Danna brothers approach in a more lyrical fashion, even hinting at some various ethnic colours in percussion as such. In that sense, it is a unique entry into this genre. None of this takes anything away from the score, which I admire very much (one of my favourites of the year, although it didn't make the top 10 then).

I think I might listen to it again today. The choral work is absolutely sublime.

The show is crap though.

Oddly enough, I found myself enjoying it a bit more on my second viewing. Yes, it has many flaws, the main one being a very uneven cast (beginning with the guy playing Arthur. They should have replaced him with the guy playing his brother) and some episodes where the main plot went nowhere, but on the whole, it wasn't nowhere near as bad as I remembered it. The production design was overall pretty good, and the impressive Ireland's vistas were a joy to behold.

I'm convinced that if that show had been renewed for another season, that second season would have been a major improvement. But I guess we'll never know!

I'll admit I enjoyed Eva Green's performances. Joseph Fiennes was largely inconsequential. But the boy who played Arthur, it made me cringe. Every scene with him and Guinevere made want to turn off the show because the poor lad can't act. So that's a huge detriment. Other than that, a lot of the plot just comes off as being silly. It doesn't really do a fine job of selling the idea of Arthur's destiny and the realm of Camelot and etc. some of production design is good, but nothing particularly impressive.

I would be curious about what they would have done for a second season.

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith (might be my favourite score of his, it's kind of like L.A. Confidential, but better)

Deep Blue by George Fenton

Quo Vadis by Miklos Rozsa

And all three Rachmaninov's (Rachmaninoff's, if someone prefers this version) symphonies (under the superb direction of maestro Ashkenazy). Two and a half hours of bliss.

Karol