Another Spielberg possibility: Robopocalypse

Charlie Brigden

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know... I mean, Spielberg did two films back-to-back two years ago. I think he wants to rest a bit after hitting all the press junkets promoting Lincoln and trying to up its Oscar chances.

Besides, Variety says that the studio wants a smaller budget and that the script 'isn't quite ready.' Those issues sound suspiciously like the ones that temporarily grounded Disney's The Lone Ranger for six months before they started shooting... seems like it's happening with Robopocalypse again.

Joey is quite right: there's zero warmth in Kubrick's masterpiece. Not sure what his point is, but he's quite right nonetheless.

my point is it's a kubrick film but it's not a masterpiece. It's an overrated visual film that becomes less relevant as it ages. That is my opinion. I've watched the movie many times. Trying to find what others see in it. My opinion hasn't changed in 30 years. My initial response to the film was different because I was 9 and it probably had the best effects of any films up to that point (I was wrong about that, King Kong and the Invisible Man have better, as does War of the Worlds).

I still think the shuttle is nice.

I agree with Joe, except visually I think it's still great.

The use of classical music grinds the film to a halt. Alex North's original music should have stayed put.

Alex North's original music is nowhere near as cool as the music selected by Kubrick.

However I don't know which transformations that score would have gone if they had kept working on it.

becomes less relevant as it ages.

???

it probably had the best effects of any films up to that point (I was wrong about that, King Kong and the Invisible Man have better, as does War of the Worlds).

Um, no.

Alex North's music was too good for the film. And it's certainly much better than listening to the blue danuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

My loss? I got that superb Strauss and Ligeti in the film. I couldn't be happier!

If I had to put a composer to score that movie it would Herrmann, Goldsmith or Williams, and it couldn't be any of them. So...

the music is fine but it does not match the scenery or visuals. North's score was better.

Not really. For example, the North main titles I mentioned doesn't have a tenth of the strength that the final music has.

The music doesn't match the scenery? I know you're serious, but dear gods. The Blue Danube is more musical and melodic than North's piece, plus it has the waltzy, balletic quality to it that matches the sweeping movements of the ships. Most of the Dawn of Man part is better without music. The scary, modern pieces of music for the alien material are classic. (JW could have gone all Close Encounters on this film.) I could say that the piece when we first see the Discovery might be a tad too sad for what it is.

I think you're just clinging to whatever you can to critizizing something of this film.

your support of it seems obsessive.

as for Robo, I wonder if the stinking carcass that World War Z appears to be prompted this "postponement"?

both films have the same structure, no central characters, no focus, both stories are constructed like a basketball tournement, by the time you get to the end nothing resembles what began.

Someone put up a sweet video of the 2001 opening synched with Williams' The Planet Krypton on YouTube but it seems to have been removed. It was PITCH-PERFECT. It was spooky just how well it lined up with the images, down to the last second.

Someone put up a sweet video of the 2001 opening synched with Williams' The Planet Krypton on YouTube but it seems to have been removed. It was PITCH-PERFECT. It was spooky just how well it lined up with the images, down to the last second.

I've actually thought on that. If I had to choose it would be my next option after the Strauss :lol:

I remember the opening scene of Kick-Ass was tracked with both pieces.

Spielberg himself has said that he is not dropping out of Robopocalypse, but that:

“(In terms of the delay), I found another way to tell the story,” Spielberg told Deadline this morning. “I had an epiphany and I only have had these a couple of time during the course of my work and whenever those voices occur, I need to listen to them. I found another way to tell the story, it’s a much more personal story for me. I let my cast and crew go make other movies, while I take a half a year to get it to the place that I need it.” Spielberg would not go as far as saying whether he’ll take on another picture before he gets to this. “I don’t know,” he said. “I’m going to wait until March when I’m going to redevelop it.”

Well, that's a little comforting. At least we know there's another Spielberg project in the works. But he better hurry, JW isn't getting any younger.

Alex North's music was too good for the film. And it's certainly much better than listening to the blue danuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Thats because it was overused and referenced and parodied and homaged sooo many times after.

I doubt anyone outside Austria had ever heard of The Blue Danube before 2001.

I'm not sure a good script will help that much. It's better than a bad script, of course, but I've not been affected by Spielberg's voice, style or storytelling in the longest of times. Heck, I find it hard to even rent his new movies. I still haven't seen Tintin, War Horse or Lincoln.

I hope the final script is good :mellow:

Everyone else here is hoping for mediocrity.

I prefer to want things to be good. Specially since Spielberg is not doing Interstellar anymore. At least give us a good robot flick.

the music is fine but it does not match the scenery or visuals. North's score was better.

"Never let a good score go to waste!", that's my motto, and that's why parts of North's "2001" ended up in "Dragonslayer".

Yeah, I thought it was just one bit of music (the waltz). But there is more than that.

Karol

• 2 years later...

Apparently these are concepts for the movie, I found on a local site so I don't know how reliable it is, but here they are...

yqNt9HH.jpg

oY9AMKl.jpg

gISadjk.jpg

jInb21e.jpg

2kz2L7o.jpg

eXTbNxO.jpg

NL74Z2N.jpg

I quite like the third one -the green one- but the others not so much, honestly.

Gotta wonder what happened to this one. Was months out from production with key cast almost signed, then Spielberg walked because he wasn't happy with the script.

Weird.

Wonder what he'll tackle after BFG. He moved on from that other film about the journalist taken hostage, didn't he?

I thought he was re-planning how to do it because of budget reasons. I think originally it was going to be much more expensive, but then Spielberg decided to re-think the whole concept to make it with a cheaper budget. Although I'm not sure, could be the other way around.

Isn't he supposed to be doing Ready Player One?

Honestly, I'd rather not have that one happen. We already have Star Wars 8 for Willliams to score and RP1 would distract him from that.

Honestly, I'd rather not have that one happen. We already have Star Wars 8 for Willliams to score and RP1 would distract him from that.

Hopefully both can happen in a satisfactory manor.

Rian Johnson is following Giacchino on Twitter, it must be a sign!11! :(

Edit: Ok, maybe not, he is following everyone.

Rian Johnson is following Giacchino on Twitter, it must be a sign!11! :(

Edit: Ok, maybe not, he is following everyone.

That's not nice! My heart stopped! ;-)

• 2 years later...