La-La Land Announces Star Trek V (Complete)

Ollie

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys don't think if they were gonna release TMP, they would have done so BEFORE doing Star Trek 5?

I think if they were going to pick one to release first, they'd go with the one that's easier to license.

You guys don't think if they were gonna release TMP, they would have done so BEFORE doing Star Trek 5?

I think if they were going to pick one to release first, they'd go with the one that's easier to license.

I agree with Mr. Movies. Star Trek V's OST has been out of print for quite a while Jason, thus negotiation for a limited release probably wasn't that hard.

Star Trek The Motion Picture's 20th Anniversary is still in print and thus Sony still retains the rights for it. With that, it will probably a bit more difficult to negotiate a full release for.

It's here! It's here!

Man, this is marvelous. I don't care what anyone says, this score has my favorite version of Jerry's main theme and with the new mix it's awesome. Can't wait to hear the new goodies in the rest of the score.

I can't confidently say that it's my favorite rendition of that theme, as I do really like the TMP recording...but yeah, with the new mix, it is just awesome. It's at least a stronger contender for my favorite than ever before.

I agree with Mr. Movies. Star Trek V's OST has been out of print for quite a while Jason, thus negotiation for a limited release probably wasn't that hard.

Star Trek The Motion Picture's 20th Anniversary is still in print and thus Sony still retains the rights for it. With that, it will probably a bit more difficult to negotiate a full release for.

But is it out of print?

The complete score to Star Trek V is really a better listening experience than the old c.d.

Batman Returns doesn't really do much for me in any of it's forms

Listened to about the first 2/3 of the first disc. Fabulous stuff! Great classic Jerry Goldsmith scoring, excellent sound quality (IMHO). Tons of stuff not previously released, different versions than the OST. WELL worth it, IMHO.

After reading the booklet, I LOVE that one of my most favorite musical moments in the score was "improvised" in the studio by Jerry. The moment when everyone's staring at the main viewscreen on the Enterprise bridge, transfixed by Sha-ka-ree, and unseen to everyone is the Klingon Bird of Prey on the sensors... and the brief little quote of the Klingon theme right there, just blended into the score at the moment, just so perfectly (after it was felt the threat from the off-screen Klingons wasn't quite noticeable enough). Love it.

I love stories like that. Liner notes are sometimes as much of a reason to pick up an expanded release as the extra music

I'm so glad to finally have a full thematic breakdown. Got stuff pointed out that I hadn't really noticed before, and it all makes sense now. Even the "quest" motive coming back in the Next Gen scores.

After reading the booklet, I LOVE that one of my most favorite musical moments in the score was "improvised" in the studio by Jerry. The moment when everyone's staring at the main viewscreen on the Enterprise bridge, transfixed by Sha-ka-ree, and unseen to everyone is the Klingon Bird of Prey on the sensors... and the brief little quote of the Klingon theme right there, just blended into the score at the moment, just so perfectly (after it was felt the threat from the off-screen Klingons wasn't quite noticeable enough). Love it.

The majestic quote in A BUSY MAN? I bought the score in 1995 and needed the internet to tell me that it was the klingon fanfare 5 years or so later.

I like all the alternates on disc 1 more than the generally more polished album versions - i. e. the ratty electronic birdcries in the end title. This is Goldsmith in ultradynamic RAMBO/adventure mode and 3 or 4 cues aren't even in the movie. The NIMBUS III sequence plays better without, but the cue is a nice intro to Lawrence's theme. :cool:

I do agree the opening part of the movie "Nimbus III" plays better with out the score. All though I had wondered all these years if any music had been written for that sequence before "The Mind-Meld".

Eight days after getting my shipping notice I still have not had my delivery. :(

La La Land is only about 200 miles from where I live, so that means the USPS is bringing my package to me at a speed of less than one mile per hour. :angry:

Eight days after getting my shipping notice I still have not had my delivery. :(

La La Land is only about 200 miles from where I live, so that means the USPS is bringing my package to me at a speed of less than one mile per hour. :angry:

Also keep in mind it's nearing Christmas so the post offices are a lot more busier now than they were a month ago. It will be like this up until December 24th.

Star Trek V: The Search For God!

Comments and ruminations.

Strange how a complete score release can completely change the way you percieve a soundtrack.

It was posted here that the score is not that synth heavy, and indeed if you listen to the OST, it is not. but the new release has some wonderfully exotic, cookie 80's Goldsmith synths.

The variations on the Enterprise Theme are wonderfull, kinda a pity they are all so brief.

Why does EVERY variation of The Enterprise Theme in all Jerry's Trek scores sounds unlike those in TMP?

Incredible that Sybok's Theme eluded me since the mid to late 90's, and that it is now so very present....

Is it me or does the Quest Theme seem to take over from the Sybok Theme in the middle of the film? In the first part, Sybok's theme is very prominent, but (almost) absent in the end, while the reverse is true for the Quest Theme.

I think the Quest Theme taking over from Sybok's Theme reflects the focus of the movie.

Until they get to the Great Barrier (Didn't TOS establish this as being at the galactic rim? I guess there are two of them), the focus is on following or opposing Sybok. Once they get through the barrier, it becomes more about the quest, and Sybok is not as relevent dramatically.

The conflict/struggle gives way to the discovery.

It's just one of those movie condensing time moments.

I had thought, upon seeing the film, that the entity on the planet created a false barrier in order to trick them.

Yeah, but there is nothing in the film to support that. Actually the whole Sha-Ka-Ree thing could use a bit of explaining. How is is supposedly a vision created by Sybok? And how did "God" know about Sybok's vision etc...etc...

Jerry's score cuts trough the messy screenplay by being simply brilliant.

Staggering the the famous Klingong Theme Counterpoint in A Busy Man was a last minute addition.

Part of me wonders if Sybok had a connection, much like Spock did with V'ger.

The "god" was searching for someone to come and encountered Sybok's mind, so to speak.

Although it perplexes me how something s powerful could be obliterated by a Klingon Bird Of Prey.

I think it's best to just not think about the film at all. :P

The score, on the other hand, is growing on me with each listen. As you might guess from my user title, I'm kinda into Goldsmith right now. So I gave this score a whirl again yesterday. It's really interesting to compare it to TMP, which I also listened to yesterday. They're so clearly from different decades and different films. And to be honest, I like how this one is a little less...formal. TMP is great, of course, but there's always something slightly restrained and dignified about it, somehow. Star Trek V doesn't have that problem. I guess it just sounds a little more modern, and in a good way. There's nothing in it so brilliant as, say, "The Enterprise", but it's a fine score. And I looooooooooooooooooove the theme that's introduced in "The Mountain." That was the main reason I bought the OST in the first place, haha. It's awesome to get to hear it reprised in "Cosmic Thoughts."

And I looooooooooooooooooove the theme that's introduced in "The Mountain." That was the main reason I bought the OST in the first place, haha. It's awesome to get to hear it reprised in "Cosmic Thoughts."

It's not bad, but foreshadowing the more innocous melodies of the 90's. What i really fancy is how dynamic it is. You just couldn't do anything like that in a regular movie today...save for an animated movie and even there it would sound fishy.

They're so clearly from different decades and different films. And to be honest, I like how this one is a little less...formal. TMP is great, of course, but there's always something slightly restrained and dignified about it, somehow. Star Trek V doesn't have that problem.

Part of that is because of the tone of the films. TMP is a very very formal and wooden film were even the actors feel uncomfortable with each other. V, with all it's many faults is far more dynamic, with a casts that now shines in each others precence.

The other reason might be that before the 80's Goldsmith did not really do many of these "fun" scores.

Yeah, the two levels of seriousness definitely fit the films. I suppose it might have helped TMP to have a more "dynamic" score, but it also wouldn't have fit as well.

I know what you mean, publicist - it's certainly not the best melody ever written or anything. There's just something very pleasant about the way it sounds, especially in the opening sequence.

Yeah, but there is nothing in the film to support that. Actually the whole Sha-Ka-Ree thing could use a bit of explaining. How is is supposedly a vision created by Sybok? And how did "God" know about Sybok's vision etc...etc...

Jerry's score cuts trough the messy screenplay by being simply brilliant.

Staggering the the famous Klingong Theme Counterpoint in A Busy Man was a last minute addition.

I believe in the novel the entity somehow communicated w/Sybok's Mom a Vulcan Priestess, and to young Sybok himself. I no longer have the book but I think the novel started off w/the younger Sybok. Sorry it's been over 20 years. Maybe someone can confirm this. Oh still love the score. ;)

The variations on the Enterprise Theme are wonderfull, kinda a pity they are all so brief.

Why does EVERY variation of The Enterprise Theme in all Jerry's Trek scores sounds unlike those in TMP?

I think this particular theme was mostly meant for The Enterprise herself. Most of the time when we heard it on the screen it accompanied to the Enterprise being shown. Grant in the cue "A Tall Ship" it plays when the shuttle is entering the landing bay of the Enterprise but when the main theme first plays in the cue we see the aft quarter view of the Enterprise.

Same thing happens in Star Trek Nemesis, especially with the cue "Remembering Data / Drydock". When the main theme from The Motion Picture plays we see the Enterprise-E in drydock undergoing repairs.

I love the theme whenever it plays in Nemesis, it sounds incredible, especially in "Drydock".

I think the original TMP version was a lot more lyrical and romantic, whereas in the later scores it's played up much more for action, in cues like 'Red Alert' and the end of the Insurrection main title. Even the quotes in 'A Tall Ship' are pretty bombastic.

If you're looking for unrestrained power in TMP, try 'The Meld'.

Yes and no. It's hard to put this quality into words...it's still kinda there in "The Meld", too. It permeates the whole score. It's part of its DNA. If I'm in the right mood, it enhances my enjoyment of it, but if not, it kinda puts me off. I dunno, maybe it's just not 80s-ish enough.

Am I correct in stating that The Quest Theme debutes rather subltly in Without Help?

Sybok's Theme seems to have it's last statement in The Birth, though an rather oblique version of it can be heard in an Agry God, probably for the scene were he says goodbye to Spock.

Looove the final, warm and cozy "all well that ends well" of the Mountain Theme in Cosmic Thoughts.