Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

aliens.gif

F**k yeah.

I do agree it's the least good movie of the series, I just DISagree that it's some kind of abomination unworthy of or inconsistent with the rest of the movies.  I happily count it as "canon" or whatever.

Watching Bridge of Spies just made me think how cool it would've been seeing Indy caught up behind enemy lines in Russia during the Cold War (albeit with much more action). The snowy surrounds would be a fresh locale for the series and more suited to Kaminski's cold visuals. Jungles and deserts are repetitive and a weird juxtaposition with Old Indy. Give him the fedora, a trenchcoat, add some film-noir visuals and send him to Russia to uncover a Soviet plot.

Part of the adventure in the original films was the tension of Indy going to dangerous locations facing death at every turn. Breaking into the Well of Souls, watching a ritual sacrifice in the Temple of Doom, going into Germany during the Nazi occupation. Nothing in KOTCS comes close to any of this. The Russians are never remotely threatening and the Crystal Skull protects them from any danger in the jungle. Geez, the tension is palpable.

I'm calling it now: Indy 5 will be set mostly in east Asia, probably China.  There's plenty of potential for cool "archaeological" stories there and every blockbuster franchise these days is trying to appeal to the Chinese market.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Watching Bridge of Spies just made me think how cool it would've been seeing Indy caught up behind enemy lines in Russia during the Cold War (albeit with much more action). The snowy surrounds would be a fresh locale for the series and more suited to Kaminski's cold visuals. Jungles and deserts are repetitive and a weird juxtaposition with Old Indy. Give him the fedora, a trenchcoat, add some film-noir visuals and send him to Russia to uncover a Soviet plot.

Part of the adventure in the original films was the tension of Indy going to dangerous locations facing death at every turn. Breaking into the Well of Souls, watching a ritual sacrifice in the Temple of Doom, going into Germany during the Nazi occupation. Nothing in KOTCS comes close to any of this. The Russians are never remotely threatening and the Crystal Skull protects them from any danger in the jungle. Geez, the tension is palpable.

Sounds cool. No, nothing in KOTCS comes close. It's just a crappy family adventure movie that looks like it was filmed on fake sets starring an ironically Disneyfied lead who doesn't kill anyone and gets married in a church at the end.

If he was part time in the 50s, he must be on unemployment benefits by the 60s, and probably suffering the effects of severe concussion after a lifetime of head punches.

If not, it would be nice to see him as a Professor in the field for a change. The post-teaser College scenes are pretty formulaic at this point. Mix it up!

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

If he was part time in the 50s, he must be on unemployment benefits by the 60s, and probably suffering the effects of severe concussion after a lifetime of head punches.

If not, it would be nice to see him as a Professor in the field for a change. The post-teaser College scenes are pretty formulaic at this point. Mix it up!

Wouldn't he just be retired and on an aged pension?

You're a pensioner?

Whole time. With a bad hip. But once you get me into a wheelchair I am unstoppable sonny!

Old_Indiana_Jones_by_George_Hall.jpg

Didn't they use San Fran setting in Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings already?

The new tag line will be "The Man with the Hat and a Whip and a Bad Hip is Back"

It should be in the Australian Outback where Indy must find an ancient Aboriginal boomarang artifact that holds great throwing power, and any army that wields this weapon is invincible. And the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation also wants it really badly, and Indy must beat them in the chase.

Why is Spielberg so dull and uninspired? Is there nothing that piques his interest or curiosity other than patriotism and Indiana Jones movies? 

Spielberg-Luxury-Yacht-3.jpg

1 hour ago, Drax said:

It should be in the Australian Outback where Indy must find an ancient Aboriginal boomarang artifact that holds great throwing power, and any army that wields this weapon is invincible. And the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation also wants it really badly, and Indy must beat them in the chase.

Perhaps they should try to change the concept by making Indy the bad guy and ASIO the heroes who try to stop a grave robber.

ASIO member:"Significant historical finds looting archaeologists. I hate these guys."

Indy: "It belongs in a museum! In Marshall College museum and they'll pay handsomely to me for procuring it!"

ASIO crew:" You do know it is Australian property mate?"

Indy: It belongs in a museum! *wheels away on his squeaky wheelchair at a snail pace*

ASIO crew:"Oh lordy! Let's give him a headstart so he can at least feel he has a chance to get away."

Well there'd be no shortage of creepy critters, although those are so much easier as CGI these days.

There can also be a sequence where Indy catches a lift in a kangaroo's pouch, goes cage diving with Great Whites (zomg, potential Jaws theme cameo!!!!111!!) and smokes a bong alongside a family of koalas.

After all, it was the 60s!

The man from the past faces the man of the future! Indy VS Mad Max!

How about Indiana Jones and the Shaman's Drum

Indiana Jones has to travel to the frozen northern reaches of Finland to find the legendary shaman's drum of incredible power that is said to be able to foretell the future. On his way he has to fight belligerent drunken Finns, Soviet Russian agents and frightened Swedish skiers who have accidentally strayed over the Sweden-Finland border into the wild Lapland. At the end of the quest awaits a final climactic battle with the evil shaman lord himself, who will not part with his drum!

Indy is reunited with his old flame Willie Scott who has been performing at Helsinki night clubs and things get complicated when jealous Marion follows the famed archaeologist on this arduous journey. Irina Spalko's twin sister Svetlana is also entangled in all of this!

So Indy watch out of fast ladies and slow cars, you're in for a ride!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Indy vs Petri Hiltunen!

There is no contest. Hiltunen would kick his ass!

He seems to be going all out on the losing his marbles routine in recent interviews, but the beard has to stay. Looks great on him. If it weren't for his dithering in the video I'd say he looks every bit the wise college professor...