Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

FIVE!

Sure, it's the least of the 4 but it's still a joy to watch.

There are far worse things out there than Indy 4, that's for sure. Its main sin is that it doesn't really know what it wants to be. But then, with all those screenwriters...

Karol

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

This is just getting in the way of the Moctezuma movie...

Ok, Indiana Jones and the Revenge of Moctezuma.

Two birds with the same stone.

And it references the situation in RAIDERS' sword duel from the basket game!

I assume the Indy news just means they have to live in a reality where Marion and he are/were married and they have a son, but it should still follow the anthology style and have a completely separate story.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Maybe, but MONTEZUMA is the "English" word for it that they're using in their film title.

I imagine they'd want to film the whole thing in English :( Which would be, well, a waste of some elements of the setting.

I know Spielberg shot Schindler's List in English but in that case I don't care. Tintin in English was a little weirder but it worked in the movie.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

I imagine they'd want to film the whole thing in English :( Which would be, well, a waste of some elements of the setting.

I know Spielberg shot Schindler's List in English but in that case I don't care. Tintin in English was a little weirder but it worked in the movie.

I agree it would be cooler if they went the Mel Gibson route in PASSION OF THE CHRIST, and even more relevantly in APOCALYPTO -- using the original (or at least an approximation) language at the time.

• 2 months later...

Because Han Solo died in Episode 7.  So Spielberg just wanted to say he wouldn't do the same.

Yeah, but Han Solo was almost a bit of a secondary character. Even in Empire, where he gets the most prominent role, they get rid of him before the end.

Karol

The concept of Indiana Jones allows for SO many stories. They should have pulled a James Bond on it years ago.

I'd love for the original team to stick with it, but I guess that's not going to happen and we can consider ourselves lucky that'll get another shot.

Hopefully they won't "modern movie syndrome" whatever comes next!

After Harry and Steve's send-off movie, I have no problem with a new series of 1930-1940s set Indy adventures.

There are so many artifacts, locations, etc he can go looking for, the stories are endless... and much better suited to a less modern world.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Bog Iger says Disney will reboot Indiana Jones after Spielberg's fifth film

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bob-iger-interview-star-wars-905320

Here's exactly what he said about that (apologies for the weird formatting):

You have another Lucasfilm property, Indiana Jones, and Steven Spielberg has agreed to make a fifth film. Will there be an Indiana Jones universe, eventually, like Star Wars?

Not like Star Wars, no. But we hope … right now, we're focused on a reboot, or a continuum and then a reboot of some sort.

Reboot? You've got Harrison Ford for this movie, and then the presumption is there will be a younger …

Well, we'll bring him back, then we have to figure out what comes next. That's what I mean. It's not really a reboot, it's a boot — a reboot. I don't know.

THR has been using the term "requel" for these sequels that reboot the franchise.

Requel. (Laughs.) We [got] Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film. But then what's the direction? I've had discussions about what the direction is, [but] I don't want to get into it.

But you do see making more films?

Yes, I do. I don't think it reaches the scale of the universe of Star Wars, but I see making more. It won't be just a one-off.

Also, there's this on Rogue One:

Should Star Wars fans be worried about Rogue One doing reshoots?

I've seen Rogue One. I've seen not only an edited picture but I've seen significantly more footage than was even in that picture. That's actually going to be a fine film.

4 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I saw this news earlier and was meaning to post it, but then I saw you'd beaten me to it! 

Terrific news, it wouldn't feel quite right without him. 

So we have Spielberg, Williams, and Lucas! :joy:

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Bog Iger says Disney will reboot Indiana Jones after Spielberg's fifth film

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bob-iger-interview-star-wars-905320

At first, I was kinda mad at Disney about this. 

But I quickly warmed to the idea because it will mean that Williams, Spielberg, Ford, and Lucas work together on the last original timeline film, which is how it should be. 

Although are the filmmakers really that limited if they keep the current timeline? It seems like there would still be a lot of room to tell interesting stories.

5 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I don't mind because my expectations are already as low as they can be since Koepp came on board. 

I kind of agree, but I don't exactly know why. I love The Lost World's script, even though most people bash that film. But it seems like the majority of the films he's written have been stinkers and Crystal Skull was inexcusably bad. But mostly everyone should have been fired after that fiasco. And by fired, I mean sacrificed to Kali in the fucking Temple of Doom. Williams can score, but he has to promise it won't be layers upon layers of dull and complex dissonance and atonality and the same old modern Mickey Mousing action music overloaded with xylophones and upper woodwinds.

3 hours ago, Will said:

At first, I was kinda mad at Disney about this. 

But I quickly warmed to the idea because it will mean that Williams, Spielberg, Ford, and Lucas work together on the last original timeline film, which is how it should be. 

Although are the filmmakers really that limited if they keep the current timeline? It seems like there would still be a lot of room to tell interesting stories.

Yeah, I agree. There is this increasing tendency in Hollywood to just reboot instead of investing the time to make a worthy sequel (ex. Spider-Man.... twice). It gives me chills thinking that Star Trek V was almost the last Star Trek film to feature the TOS actors before rebooting. With bad reviews and a terrible box office performance, it definitely should have been, but the studio instead allowed for one last send-off, and thank God they did. Not nearly the same scenario in this case, but comparable in that I'm glad we're not ending the series with KOTCS. I respect Disney for pushing forwards with a sequel, and not just opting for the reboot route. Of course, if Spielberg comes to you wanting to make another Indiana Jones movie, you can't really say no, right? And it's not like KOTCS didn't make a lot of money at the box office so... I'm probably placing respect where maybe none is deserved. I dunno. I just think it's cool we're getting one last one from those four, just as you mentioned. I'm rambling. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, Will said:

Terrific news, it wouldn't feel quite right without him. 

Call me crazy, but I actually feel better knowing that Lucas will be involved. It kinda made me sad thinking of Lucas sitting at home retired while Spielberg and Co. were off making an Indy film without him (especially after that picture of him eating noodles all by himself surfaced a couple months back :(). If it wasn't for Lucas, we never would have had Indy in the first place, so I say he deserves to sit at that table with the other big boys. As you said, I like the idea of Williams, Spielberg, Ford, and Lucas being involved in each entry.

He got that retarded (not quite) aliens idea out of the way at long last.

Here's to hoping that clears his plate for a more Indiana Jones-ey story instead.

9 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Call me crazy, but I actually feel better knowing that Lucas will be involved. It kinda made me sad thinking of Lucas sitting at home retired while Spielberg and Co. were off making an Indy film without him (especially after that picture of him eating noodles all by himself surfaced a couple months back :(). If it wasn't for Lucas, we never would have had Indy in the first place, so I say he deserves to sit at that table with the other big boys. As you said, I like the idea of Williams, Spielberg, Ford, and Lucas being involved in each entry.

Yep, it's absolutely better to have Lucas involved. I wish he could have executive produced TFA as well. Overall I rather enjoyed KOTCS, actually. 

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Seriously? Lucas' involvement is a good thing?

Since when?

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The man is a genius.

Fixed.

7 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

From a certain point of view.

The correct one. 

10 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I respect Disney for pushing forwards with a sequel, and not just opting for the reboot route. Of course, if Spielberg comes to you wanting to make another Indiana Jones movie, you can't really say no, right? And it's not like KOTCS didn't make a lot of money at the box office so... I'm probably placing respect where maybe none is deserved. I dunno. I just think it's cool we're getting one last one from those four, just as you mentioned. I'm rambling. Sorry. 

I'm not sure how much "respect" Disney really deserves...

You're naturally going to make more money with an Indy film that has Spielberg and Harrison Ford's name attached to it over a reboot with a new team of nobodies. Just makes more commercial sense.

1 hour ago, Will said:

Yep, it's absolutely better to have Lucas involved. I wish he could have executive produced TFA as well. Overall I rather enjoyed KOTCS, actually. 

Fixed.

The correct one. 

The Prequels and KOCS has showed that whatever talent the man might have had is long gone.

*clears throat*

I kinda, uh, thought Revenge of the Sith was, ya know, pretty good.

And I think it's evident that everyone wasn't exactly on their A-game with KOTCS. Sure Lucas came up with aliens, but Spielberg nuked the fridge.

2 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

*clears throat*

I kinda, uh, thought Revenge of the Sith was, ya know, pretty good.

And I think it's evident that everyone wasn't exactly on their A-game with KOTCS. Sure Lucas came up with aliens, but Spielberg nuked the fridge.

Revenge Of The Sith *might* be the best of the prequels. That still doesnt change the fact that it's a boring, ponderous, silly, ineffective piece of cinema.

And everyone SHOULD have been on their A-game for KOCS. I don't mind the Nuke The Fridge stuff at all. At least at that point the film is still fun.

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Prequels and KOCS has showed that whatever talent the man might have had is long gone.

While I have only watched each SW OT and PT film once, at this time I actually prefer the prequels to the originals. The originals are more fun, but the prequels are more interesting and emotional, IMO. They tell a tragic, beautiful, and intriguing story. Some hate the prequels because of their political complexity, but that's what I love about them. And ROTS is the most emotional film of the original six, and my favorite. 

The key is to look at the prequels as part of a larger story as opposed to as individual films. That's what Lucas intended the Star Wars saga to be (at the time he was making the prequels) -- one story told in six episodes. 

By the way, it's hard to say whether it was actually Lucas's intent to make SW a ring composition, but the Ring Theory is certainly an immensely interesting read. I read all 8 pages of it, and I think others should too before they go prequel-bashing.

Because if this is what Lucas intended, then the prequels deserve to be placed at the pinnacle of filmmaking achievements:

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring-composition-chiasmus-hidden-artistry-star-wars-prequels/