The Muppets (2011)

Jay

The first teaser poster for "The Muppets" has been released:

muppetsposter1568x84155.jpg

It's also worth noting that the film will be accompanied by a new Pixar short starring Toy Story characters. Possibly living in their new home from the end of TS3?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sooooooooo excited for this. Perfect timing as well. My daughter will be about 5 months so there should be plenty of merchandise I can get her. From what I have read, they are keeping it very true to the old days. I am especially glad Fozzie gets lots of FaceTime here. They have completely neglected him since Henson passed. I hope there isn't too much full body in the movie, though.

Even with the massively awesome talent behind this film (Kermit, Miss Piggy, etc), I have almost zero interest in seeing it. I am almost totally unfamiliar with the "franchise" (can't think of a better word for it at the moment, sorry), apart from generally knowing it exists. Maybe the creepy horribleness of the green frog are detracting from any desire to see it, too. I don't know, it just does nothing for me. I'll probably try to listen to the soundtrack at least, and maybe one day it'll be a rental, but I just have so little interest. Which is somewhat strange, considering how big a fan I am of a lot of the characters involved.

It's to my great detriment that I still have never seen The Muppet Movie. I always was a huge fan of The Great Muppet Caper, though, and adore the soundtracks for both. I don't think I've seen Muppets Take Manhattan for 20 years.

But I think the entire franchise has been steadily going downhill since Henson passed. The magic is gone. I'm not sure how I feel about a new movie being made this long after their heyday. Somewhere between "an Indy film after 19 years" and "a live-action Smurfs movie that follows the Enchanted formula."

The fact that a 20-something year here has to ask "what" a Muppet is...<shudder>.

I mean, I grew up on the Muppets, I was teased in second grade because I still liked Sesame Street, and I still hold a lot of fond memories for the characters.

But is it so wrong that I also think this is hysterical? Maybe it's the fact that Elmo supplanted Kermit as THE face of the Muppets, and I can't STAND Elmo.

Even with the massively awesome talent behind this film (Kermit, Miss Piggy, etc), I have almost zero interest in seeing it. I am almost totally unfamiliar with the "franchise" (can't think of a better word for it at the moment, sorry), apart from generally knowing it exists. Maybe the creepy horribleness of the green frog are detracting from any desire to see it, too. I don't know, it just does nothing for me. I'll probably try to listen to the soundtrack at least, and maybe one day it'll be a rental, but I just have so little interest. Which is somewhat strange, considering how big a fan I am of a lot of the characters involved.

Hey!! :)

I'm looking forward to this one myself. Been a Muppet fan since I was a kid in the 70s/80s. The Muppet Show, The Muppet Movie, and The Great Muppet Caper mainly, I like some of the "spin-off" stuff too (Fraggle Rock, Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas, etc). Not sure the wife'll wanna go. She makes fun of me because occasionally a Muppet song pops up on my iPod during shuffle mode. Whatever. If our daughter was a few years older, I'd probably have no trouble convincing her to go. I have a feeling it's in good hands, though, with Jason Segel behind it. All the interviews I've read where he's talked about the film, he sounds like he wants to be incredibly faithful and true to the whole Muppet universe. Not a reboot, not a reinvention, just good ol' traditional Muppet stuff.

Who doesn't like The Muppets?

:thumbup:

What worries me is that Frank Oz doesn't seem to be involved. Or has he dropped out earlier? I haven't seen any of the recent Muppet movies.

The fact that a 20-something year here has to ask "what" a Muppet is...<shudder>.

He was quoting Family Guy

He was quoting Family Guy

Actually I think it was from the Simpsons. Unless the Family Guy ripped the joke off the Simpsons.

D'oh! My bad.

Lisa: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, it's not quite a puppet, but man...

[laughs hysterically]

Homer: So to answer your question, I don't know.

Muppets are great because they stay firmly on their side of the uncanny valley. You just have to accept a fictionalized world where large frogs and pigs walk upright, talk, wear clothes, and get it on.

Now as for the people in the Zemeckis-like motion-captured movies -- Polar Express, Beowulf, the upcoming Tintin -- those are creepy.

I don't understand why the Food Network hasn't picked him up. HE is the original Food Network star.

Giada, Claire, Marcela, and the Swedish Chef. I wouldn't be able to look away.

It's also worth noting that the film will be accompanied by a new Pixar short starring Toy Story characters. Possibly living in their new home from the end of TS3?

Apparently there will ALSO be a short film attached to Cars 2 this year. That one's called "Toy Story Hawaiian Vacation"; Nothing seems to be known about the one attached to The Muppets

http://www.slashfilm.com/toy-story-short-run-the-muppets/

But I think the entire franchise has been steadily going downhill since Henson passed. The magic is gone. I'm not sure how I feel about a new movie being made this long after their heyday. Somewhere between "an Indy film after 19 years" and "a live-action Smurfs movie that follows the Enchanted formula."

That is completely Michael Eisner and Disney's fault. In a nutshell, Eisner loves them, bought them for Disney. However, the love for the Muppets did not go over well with the bean counters. While accountants where in the process of ruining Disney for many years, they could never figure out to make money off the muppets. So they let them languish in obscurity for many years. Now that John Lasseter is back and more creative people are given more control, we are starting to see things like this now. And to that I say, hallelujah!

I mean, I grew up on the Muppets, I was teased in second grade because I still liked Sesame Street, and I still hold a lot of fond memories for the characters.

But is it so wrong that I also think this is hysterical? Maybe it's the fact that Elmo supplanted Kermit as THE face of the Muppets, and I can't STAND Elmo.

Elmo is of the devil.

Fozzy, Rizzo the Rat and Pepe are my favorites. You really are missing out.

And I pity you. ;)

It's to my great detriment that I still have never seen The Muppet Movie.

You simply HAVE TO SEE IT.

The best Muppet film.

Even if you just see it for the number of famous cameos (and there are a lot of them).

-James Coburn

-Mel Brooks

-Dom Deluise

-Steve Martin

-Bob Hope

-Elliot Gould

-Telly Savalas

and the list goes on and on...

(The best cameo is at the end, not to give it away).

Now that John Lasseter is back and more creative people are given more control, we are starting to see things like this now. And to that I say, hallelujah!

Like the Muppets singing Bohemian Rhapsody? Maybe we should have known they were quietly staging a comeback all along.

If that's the level of insane talent behind this movie, we're in for a treat.

Hey!! :)

;)

Fozzy, Rizzo the Rat and Pepe are my favorites. You really are missing out.

And I pity you. ;)

Just to be clear, I was kidding. The Muppets are great, though I haven't seen many shows (and none of the films). Still - big fan of the John Cleese one! :)

Never mind the new movie, when are they going to release season 4 of The Muppet Show on DVD? It's been 3 years since season 3 got released! I want the Star Wars episode.

Screw that, I want the Muppet Babies released already!:angry:

I'm with Wojo on the Elmo thing. And Scrappy Doo is another one who can burn in hell.

Ok, confession time. When I was little my favourite toy was a Roosevelt Franklin muppet that my sister got for me when she was on holiday in Spain. I took it on holiday, on days out, everywhere. Indeed there are very few photographs of me as child without my right arm disappearing into Roosevelt Franklin's legless torso. I still have him and although he's a little tatty now, he sits proudly atop the crates that I keep my football programmes in.

:unsure:

I saw that trailer before Pirates 4 this weekend, and cheered when I saw "The Muppets." Like, hands in the air, loud "wooh-hoo" cheered. I knew there was a movie coming, but I didn't know who the human players would be.