What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Simpsons Movie.

Because The French Connection sucked. Still really like it. Loved the humour and was really surprised at how it’s still so relevant today: climate change, putting people in lockdown, ‘the US government having lost its credibility…’ The post-credit sequence at the cinema was definitely recorded with different microphones, though, and there was some bad editing going on with Burns too.

It's a really great score as well. I love discovering statements of themes after having been familiar with a score for years. I might forgive Zimmer his Man of Steel crime.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The score was mostly by Henry Jackman, Lorne Balfe and some others. I don't think Zimmer had that much of an involvement with the film, as he was busy with Pirates 3 from that same summer.

Those composers also worked on Pirates 3 ;) 

57 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Sure, but I think Zimmer was more involved with Pirates 3 than he was with Simpsons. 

Most likely. Jim Dooley was probably the main driving voice behind The Simpsons Movie, but both scores featured a variety of people involved. 

I subscribed to Disney +, so I tried some "Disney" movies....

Tim Burton's Dumbo..... eeeeeeeew, I stopped it in the middle. What a fail!

Mr Burton, you really did this with Dumbo's mother? Elephant skin shoes? Seemed out of place humour for me... Anyway, Devito is far too happy in this movie... and Colin Farrell... really?

57 minutes ago, AC1 said:

For the children, right?

For THE CHILD, for Baby Yoda only. But I will quit next month, and I will not even watch the rest of Season 2.  It's for fan boys, this series is more about easter eggs than about telling a story. 

And what is this kind of "hero" (he's not even one, he fights like a little girl!) who never remove his helmet, we see his face only 10 seconds in the whole series... that's ridiculous.  

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

For THE CHILD, for Baby Yoda only. But I will quit next month, and I will not even watch the Season 2 of The Mando.  It's for fan boys, this series is more about easter eggs than about telling a story.

Funny you should mention that. No Easter eggs are safe around Baby Yoda. 

Needed some light entertainment so I rewatched all four Scream movies this weekend. They're all really fun, third one being the weakest. It feels slightly too comedic and self-referential, even by this franchise's standards. Fourth one is a massive improvement. I actually really look forward to the fifth one now. Really daft stuff but never gets old.

Karol

I remember being dragged along by my then group of friends to see the first two or three, back in the day. I never understood the fuss, but they were fairly big movies at the time. 

I remember it was hard to convince a group of guys to watch 'As Good As it Gets' because 'Scream' was all the rage. Or 'Deconstructing Harry', which i finally gave up on till it came out on video.

I liked Road Trip but the european Trip thing was better. The Wes Anderson movies and others of that ilk dealing with precious american sensibilities (almost exclusively of rich and pampered people) were another headscratcher. 

It's all schlock, there is absolutely nothing to comprehend. I always enjoyed Neve Campbell in the main role. Very likeable. Among all the self-referential garbage, her earnestness helps to ground the whole thing (as ridiculous as it is).

Karol

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's all schlock, there is absolutely nothing to comprehend. 

You sort of try to explain away things in this way fairly often, wave away disagreeable criticism by implying dissenters are somehow overthinking it all. I just didn't think Scream was all that remarkable, or standout. These were quite big movies back then, and a lot was made about how smart they were. "Horror master" luvvie Wes Craven was after all the creator, so critics were quick to high five each other over how meta the setups and in-jokes were. 

I just found the movies gimmicky, over the top and quite predictable. Schlock doesn't necessarily mean good. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Needed some light entertainment so I rewatched all four Scream movies this weekend. They're all really fun, third one being the weakest. It feels slightly too comedic and self-referential, even by this franchise's standards. Fourth one is a massive improvement. I actually really look forward to the fifth one now. Really daft stuff but never gets old.

Karol

I rewatched 10 minutes of the first movie few weeks ago and noticed that I remembered it too well.

Bye bye, see you in few more years!

The Matrix

Haven't watched this since I was a teenager, back in the late 2000s. The movie remains great and, as an adult, I managed to appreciate the details and intrincacies of the script even more. Don Davis' orchestral-electronic-and-choir score is excellent, and gives an epic quality to the film. 

Despite some of the effects looking outdated, we're very lucky that this movie came out in 99. Had it been released today, it would be a Netflix series that would strain the plot throughout 10 episodes, and worst of all, the score would be mostly droning.

Yeah, its great.

Some of the performances could have been better, though. A lot of it comes off a bit wooden, and I would have preferred the green tint to be a little less pronounced. But otherwise? Its crackin'.

Momentum - aptly-named action-thriller in which James Purefoy's CIA man and his team relentlessly pursue Olga Kurylenko's ex-military bank robber for the USB-stick McGuffin that has fallen into her possession, which holds damning evidence regarding Morgan Freeman's Senator. 

Nothing earth-shattering, but rattles along well enough. 

lucky that this movie came out in 99. Had it been released today, it would be a Netflix series that would strain the plot throughout 10 episodes, and worst of all, the score would be mostly droning...mm

On 11/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, Edmilson said:

Oh man!

15 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It is, Richard. 

I'm not sure what it is about it. There's no action, no explosions, no "gee whizz" special effects. It's just seven people talking, and it is utterly compelling.

Lemmon said that it was the best cast he ever worked with: I believe him.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm not sure what it is about it. There's no action, no explosions, no "gee whizz" special effects. It's just seven people talking, and it is utterly compelling.

IMO, it's about survival. That's what all the characters are trying to do. Capitalism has turned the workplace into a battlefield.

Gladiator - Ridley Scott thrillingly and triumphantly brings the 'swords 'n' sandals' epic into the 21st century.

Cracking entertainment ... it's even got a Zimmer score from when he still gave a shit, lol. 

30 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

... it's even got a Zimmer score from when he still gave a shit, lol. 

How's that? I think he currently finds himself in a position where he no longer needs to constantly repeat himself and give the audience yet another typical Zimmer score. If only John Williams was of the same mindset. 

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

How's that? I think he currently finds himself in a position where he no longer needs to constantly repeat himself and give the audience yet another typical Zimmer score.

That doesn't help when what he serves us is shite.

The talented Mr Ripley.

Decided to watch this after Family Guy made a reference to it a couple of weeks ago which incidentally included a key plot point. I only started to get into it when the second half had started. Some things really don’t make sense, though. Did no one notice the difference between Dickey and Tommy’s voices? And why would Dickey’s father send a complete stranger to fetch his son? (I’m not buying the movie’s explanation.) The ending ruined it even more for me. It would have been great if they had ended with the private detective. All the actors are great, however.

The music is fantastic too. The highlight came when they mixed a Bach piece (played by Glenn Gould?) with Silent Night. Still hate jazz, though. 

barton%20fink%20fire.jpg

Barton Fink

Well-made, sumptuously shot, some great writing and yet it feels sort of empty. Like visual motifs and compelling ideas strung together without a real internal logic. I like it, though I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced by it.

Well, it's Coen brothers, so you get everything except meaningful depth. It's probably one of my favorite Coen movies and when I heard David Fincher is making a movie about a Hollywood scriptwriter, I immediately thought of Barton Fink.