What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Watching all 6 to prepare for Dead Reckoning next week.

That opera sequence is incredible. I can't get enough of it.

As are the chase in Morocco and through London.

2 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Watching all 6 to prepare for Dead Reckoning next week.

As are the chase in Morocco and through London.

There are a lot of good M:I movies. (We just watched the first one last week.) But RN is just next level.

Rogue Nation is by far my favorite of the franchise. It's just so good.

My rank of the M: I movies would be something like:

1. Rogue Nation;
  2. Ghost Protocol;
  3. The first one from 96
  4. Fallout;
  5. M: I 2;
  6. M: I 3;

I've finished rewatching all of the M:I movies now, so here's my ranking:

1. Rogue Nation

Everything is perfect here from the stunts to the story passing by the music. McQuarrie succeed to give a very classy action film espacially in the opera, even though the Maroco's sequence remains my favourite. All actors are terrific Fergusson and Harris are a great addition to the cast.

2. Fallout

I find that the music sums up the film well: much less subtle but very effective IMO. McQuarrie action sequences are still perfect with the Paris sequence being the best one of them. The cast is still top notch, with Cavill giving a nice villain. I also really like the addition of the White Widow which add a very classy sequence.

3. M:I 3

Apart from the photography which is oversaturated the movie is really great. I love Benji's introduction who's now my favourite character. The best sequence of the movie is probably the one in Rome (which, now I write it, makes me realize that my favourite sequences of all this movies are the action scenes from the middle of the movie)

4. M:I

I rank this one above Ghost Protocol even though those two are very close for me. Langley's sequence is an absolut masterpiece of directing, hence the fourth place. The cast is overall great even though I can't stand Jean Reno. The music is really great, certainly the second best one of the franchise.

5. Ghost Protocol

The movie is overall very good with a great action sequence and cast (the Abu Dabi sequence is wonderful) but the movie lacks an interesting villain which makes the whole story a bit forgettable. The addition of Renner is really welcome (too bad he didn't do much after that one)

6. M:I 2

The only movie of the franchise I can't stand. There's a lot of good ideas plot wise here but it's far too long with unnecessary sequences and too many pigeons! I know John Woo likes doves, but there were too many of them, which after a while is distracting and boring, same for slow motion. About Zimmer's score, well, like his attempt with James Bond, it was kinda meh and pretty forgettable

I can't wait to see Dead Reckoning, part. One

10 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

even though I can't stand Jean Reno.

I'm not the only one. Yaaay. Hahahah

My ranking is very simple.

1. Fallout (the action scenes in this are some of the best ever and Cavill is so great)

2. Rogue Nation (Rebecca Ferguson is such a strong addition and the seque ces are phenomal)

3. Ghost Protocol (Love the Dubai & Mumbai sequences)

4. M:I 3 (Love Rome & Shanghai + Seymour Hoffman.

5. M:I (Enjoyable, the Langley scene is iconic, but the rest gets a bit convoluted to me)

6. M:I 2 (can't stand it. The slomo, the doves and Thandiwe Newton is completely wasted)

18 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've finished rewatching all of the M:I movies now, so here's my ranking:

1. Rogue Nation

Everything is perfect here from the stunts to the story passing by the music. McQuarrie succeed to give a very classy action film espacially in the opera, even though the Maroco's sequence remains my favourite. All actors are terrific Fergusson and Harris are a great addition to the cast.

2. Fallout

I find that the music sums up the film well: much less subtle but very effective IMO. McQuarrie action sequences are still perfect with the Paris sequence being the best one of them. The cast is still top notch, with Cavill giving a nice villain. I also really like the addition of the White Widow which add a very classy sequence.

3. M:I 3

Apart from the photography which is oversaturated the movie is really great. I love Benji's introduction who's now my favourite character. The best sequence of the movie is probably the one in Rome (which, now I write it, makes me realize that my favourite sequences of all this movies are the action scenes from the middle of the movie)

4. M:I

I rank this one above Ghost Protocol even though those two are very close for me. Langley's sequence is an absolut masterpiece of directing, hence the fourth place. The cast is overall great even though I can't stand Jean Reno. The music is really great, certainly the second best one of the franchise.

5. Ghost Protocol

The movie is overall very good with a great action sequence and cast (the Abu Dabi sequence is wonderful) but the movie lacks an interesting villain which makes the whole story a bit forgettable. The addition of Renner is really welcome (too bad he didn't do much after that one)

6. M:I 2

The only movie of the franchise I can't stand. There's a lot of good ideas plot wise here but it's far too long with unnecessary sequences and too many pigeons! I know John Woo likes doves, but there were too many of them, which after a while is distracting and boring, same for slow motion. About Zimmer's score, well, like his attempt with James Bond, it was kinda meh and pretty forgettable

I can't wait to see Dead Reckoning, part. One

I think you have it correct! Well, not sure about where Ghost Protocol fits.

I haven't seen III since it was in the cinema, but I remember thinking it was such a step up from 2 and Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of the best bad guys ever. If it was a better remembered movie he would rank with Hanibal Lecter and The Joker. Oh, and I loved how they tried to make the masks make sense.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was the best thing about the third one, but overall I found that movie very meh and with an ugly cinematography. Not even Giacchino was inspired.

The second one is at least dumb fun. And Fallout is the Tenet of the Mission: Impossible movies: well directed, but with such a convoluted, incomprehensible plot that makes it very hard to enjoy it, at least for me.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

And Fallout is the Tenet of the Mission: Impossible movies: well directed, but with such a convoluted, incomprehensible plot that makes it very hard to enjoy it, at least for me.

On the contrary I found the plot quite simple: Cavil just wants Harris ressources to rule the world (traditional bad guys motivation).

28 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I'm not the only one. Yaaay. Hahahah

Curse of Knowledge. How often when you talk to your… | by Srinidy Ravi |  Medium

;)

For what it's worth...

1/ MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE THE ONE WITH THE TRAIN

2/ MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE THE ONE WITH  THE TALL BUILDING 

3/ MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE THE ONE WITH REBECCA FERGUSON IN A BLACK BIKINI 

4/ MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE THE ONE WITH PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN

5/ MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE THE ONE WITH ALL THE PIGEONS

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Partly it's ridiculous. When a high ranking Austrian politician goes to the opera, they just go to the opera… there's none of the fancy security shown in the film). And the geography in Vienna is very confused (especially Benji's subway route). But even with those caveats, you get a much better feeling for the location than you did in Quantum of Solace's Bregenz sequence (which was highly anticipated in Austria and at least for me a total disappointment). And dramatically, the entire sequence works exceptionally well.

(Let me balance this with a shout out for the London location work in Fallout, which seems to make sense for the duration of the entire sequence).

It's hard for me to rank the MI films, or to a degree pointless. The first one is a very classy, very De Palma (and thus in any case very impressive) spy thriller that works very well, but has little to do with what the franchise would become. All I remember about the second one is that it seemed utterly forgettable (which everybody seems to agree with). The third one I remember liking, but because there's (apparently) no decent Blu-ray for it, it's been ages since I've seen it.

And then the modern series starts (unless it did with the third one, but that seems to be more of a bridge/precursor for what's to come, and most people seem to think much less of it than of the later ones). Starting with Rogue Nation, the series has turned into a consistently entertaining action franchise with enough plot to not feel flat and always spectacular action sequences that easily beat the Bond franchise at its own game. One reason perhaps why I like the general approach of the Craig films, because the focus on the character (and Craig's acting) at best gives them something that the MIs never attempt, even though it's only done successfully in about half of his films.

As scores go, the first one works very well in the film (as usual for De Palma), though I never felt the need to listen to it on its own. The second one, from what little I recall (from the film, and from the live performance at Hollywood in Vienna a few years ago) represents everything I dislike about Zimmer - that it probably fits the film says more about the film than about the score. The first Giacchino is tedious, but his second is one of his best scores. Kramer's score is excellent, probably the best in the series. Balfe's score is two hours of trailer music turned up to 11 (and I find it hard to stand trailer music for the duration of a trailer).

Very much looking forward to the new one.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

As scores go, the first one works very well in the film (as usual for De Palma), though I never felt the need to listen to it on its own. The second one, from what little I recall (from the film, and from the live performance at Hollywood in Vienna a few years ago) represents everything I dislike about Zimmer - that it probably fits the film says more about the film than about the score. The first Giacchino is tedious, but his second is one of his best scores. Kramer's score is excellent, probably the best in the series. Balfe's score is two hours of trailer music turned up to 11 (and I find it hard to stand trailer music for the duration of a trailer).

Agree on everything about the scores, except with what you said about the first one, which is one of my favorite Danny Elfman scores ever. 

My rank of the M: I scores would be something like:

1. Rogue Nation by Joe Kraemer;
  2. M: I 1 by Elfman;
  3. Ghost Protocol by Giacchino;
  4. M: I 2 by Zimmer (even though I haven't heard it in ages and only remember the Injection track);
  5. M: I 3 by Giacchino;
  6. Fallout by Lorne Balfe (like you said, it's two hours of trailer music epicness)

It's great...except for the fact that they turned a 5/4 piece of music, into a 4/4 piece of music :lol:

Speaking of the London locations for ROGUE NATION, when Rebecca Ferguson goes to see Simon McBurney, on the South Bank, she walks south across Westminster Bridge.

Then she walks east towards Westminster Bridge :lol:

Ranking the scores?

Top-to-bottom:

Elfman 

Kraemer 

Giacchino - tall building 

Giacchino - Hoffman 

I've not seen FALLOUT.

MV5BMzVjNzI4NzYtMjE4NS00M2IzLWFkOWMtOTYw

Extraordinary film, with an amazing role for Dustin Hoffman. (By the way, today it's Tom Cruise's birthday)

The thing is, I don't understand the nomination for best score. I think this is one of those instances that the other nominations dragged together the score too.

I would put in its place other scores like Yared's Camille Claudel which is a masterpiece, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Cinema Paradiso, The Land before time, Willow. So many to choose from.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Speaking of the London locations for ROGUE NATION, when Rebecca Ferguson goes to see Simon McBurney, on the South Bank, she walks south across Westminster Bridge.

Then she walks east towards Westminster Bridge :lol:

I had nightmares of the (excellent) Bourne car chase in Paris where he's teleporting across the city between shots... :D

Flight (2012)

Look it's a Denzel tour de force or whatever that cliche, bullshit saying is.  But It's going to be good simply because of him...and it was.

The movie was marketed heavily as a plane crash film.  It is most certainly not. Even though the plane crash sequence is probably, from a technical aspect, the best part of the movie.

After that, which is basically 30 minutes into the movie, it turns into a really dark character study of addiction.  But because we witnessed his heroics, we never truly hate him. Which I think is okay.

The ending is really good as well.  Felt relieved to know he finally put all his demons to bed.

Which I think is a great way to tell the story of a highly functional alcoholic...rock bottom needs to be hit to finally make a change, and you think the crash would have been it.  But it wasn't and I think that makes for a better story.

Would recommend just for the plane scene alone. 

It's currently free on YouTube btw

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

The thing is, I don't understand the nomination for best score. I think this is one of those instances that the other nominations dragged together the score too.

I would put in its place other scores like Yared's Camille Claudel which is a masterpiece, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Cinema Paradiso, The Land before time, Willow. So many to choose from.

It was nominated but who won?

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It was nominated but who won?

yeah, I know. Another score, I don't "get" why it won, but of course I have not seen the film.

Milagro. It doesn't even have a proper soundtrack.

I love The Accidental Tourist but I'm a JW fan. However, when looking at things in an unbiased way, Cinema Paradiso should have been the winner. It's a score that happily exists outside the context of the film and that has found its way into the repertoire of many performers, classical or popular. 

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

I love The Accidental Tourist but I'm a JW fan. However, when looking at things in an unbiased way, Cinema Paradiso should have been the winner. It's a score that happily exists outside the context of the film and that has found its way into the repertoire of many performers, classical or popular. 

Perception outside of the film is perhaps a valid criterion for a Grammy (or any primarily music-related award), but not so much for an Oscar. For that, the inherent qualities of the music and what it does for the film should count.

But that's still an argument for Cinema Paradiso, which certainly is a very important part in making the film what it is (not for nothing did Tornatore stick with Morricone until his death).

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perception outside of the film is perhaps a valid criterion for a Grammy (or any primarily music-related award), but not so much for an Oscar. For that, the inherent qualities of the music and what it does for the film should count.

"Should" but it's rarely the main criterion.

I didn't know you held the Oscars in such high regard, Marion.

Lady Bird (2017)

image.jpg

Good but got a bit too mellow at the end of the movie. 6,5 /10

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

"Should" but it's rarely the main criterion.

I didn't know you held the Oscars in such high regard, Marian.

I don't, generally, although I do appreciate their symbolic significance as a (warped) public measure of success, and what winning one may mean to the winners personally. But "when looking at things in an unbiased way", as you say, the scores that *should* win a film award shouldn't be based on whether it has developed a life of its own outside the film.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

What film will you be watching tonight on the 4th of July?

Although I live in Greece and we (apparently) don't celebrate this here, I'm thinking of watching

MV5BNjUxYzliZjUtZTcyZS00NjQ2LTkxZWMtMzg5

It's crap like 90% of the stuff Emmerich directed, but JW's score is wonderful.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:01 PM, Edmilson said:

Not even Giacchino was inspired.

When was he ever? 

On 3/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, filmmusic said:

I have seen only the first 2.

I lost interest afterwards. Generally I'm not into franchises.

I haven't even seen the last 2 Harry Potters.

I only liked the first. Then it became a Tom Cruise ego trip with over-the-top craziness. Still more enjoyable than the Bond movies. 

Currently re-watching this beautiful film. 

IMG_9597.jpeg

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's not bad, but it is wildly historically inaccurate.

Ps, Sorry to say that JW's score does almost nothing for me.

Which historical film is accurate?:P Most are inaccurate, but that doesn't diminish their value, whatever that is.

Yeah, the score is not among my favorite Williams too.

We watched Independence Day 2. It wasn't as bad as I remembered. It certainly extrapolates out the first one in some fascinating directions. But it doesn't have a patch on the first one in terms of charm and heart.

So, I watched eventually The Patriot.

The thing with this film, though quite good in the technical side of things is that I don't care much about the characters (the good guys).

However, the bad guy, makes you feel something about him. (hatred I mean)

I would welcome an expanded release of the score, maybe I could appreciate it more then.

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ps, Sorry to say that JW's score does almost nothing for me.

I love the main theme and the score too, it really needs an expansion in the near future. 

24 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't care much about the characters (the good guys).

The scene where Mel’s daughter runs to him saying she will talk he just don’t go away always gets me. Beautifully emotional scene.

Air Force One

Still a terrific popcorn flick. This was when Oldman was complaining that he was only getting cartoon villain roles but when he took any independent roles he was still playing messed up psychos. Nice that he figured that out. (I need to get back to watching Slow Horses.)

This was back when Ford was my hero. And watching this I remember why. There is an emotional core to be sure and he's good at it, but he also knows when to be charming and when to wink.

And I love this score. I don't know what parts McNeely did. But he did a terrific job because they all sound like Goldsmith. I'm pretty sure that the reasons that some people don't like this score are all the reasons that I love it. Free Flight is a standout (when most of the hostages escape with the parachutes). It's got that Goldsmith transition from scary tension to excited tension to "Ahhhh, let's just listen to the theme for a few moments!"

The main theme is kind of the third iteration in the First Knight / First Contact / Air Force One cycle.

Terrifier, the first one. Love the Hacksaw scene and the practical gore was.

Terrific.  Last week watched Evil Dead Rise. Okay but not as good as the 2013 remake. The cheese grater scene ...omg

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Air Force One

Still a terrific popcorn flick. This was when Oldman was complaining that he was only getting cartoon villain roles but when he took any independent roles he was still playing messed up psychos. Nice that he figured that out. (I need to get back to watching Slow Horses.)

This was back when Ford was my hero. And watching this I remember why. There is an emotional core to be sure and he's good at it, but he also knows when to be charming and when to wink.

And I love this score. I don't know what parts McNeely did. But he did a terrific job because they all sound like Goldsmith. I'm pretty sure that the reasons that some people don't like this score are all the reasons that I love it. Free Flight is a standout (when most of the hostages escape with the parachutes). It's got that Goldsmith transition from scary tension to excited tension to "Ahhhh, let's just listen to the theme for a few moments!"

The main theme is kind of the third iteration in the First Knight / First Contact / Air Force One cycle.

Agreed, it's a fun film (only slightly undermined by the dire CGI FX at the end) but the score is terrific fun... you might find this of interest:

9 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agreed, it's a fun film (only slightly undermined by the dire CGI FX at the end) but the score is terrific fun... you might find this of interest:

I never thought the crash was as unacceptable as so many people did. It's not fantastic but they were trying something ambitious. OTOH, the model work in this movie is astounding. I still think the 747 is the loveliest airplane to ever take to the skies.

Thanks for the video. I didn't realize that Courage was still working at this point.

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I never thought the crash was as unacceptable as so many people did. It's not fantastic but they were trying something ambitious. OTOH, the model work in this movie is astounding. I still think the 747 is the loveliest airplane to ever take to the skies.

Agree with the model work being great (even if the trajectories of the planes isn't all that realistic at times) but I still think the ending is pretty poor. They should stuck to models for that or done it with a big fireball or something so that it obscured the water element. Or even had it crash on land, something more like the Enterprise crash from Generations.

8 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Thanks for the video. I didn't realize that Courage was still working at this point.

Apparently so! But the video shows you how deft Jerry was at switching between scenes and levels of intensity without losing the overall shape of the cue. All the little motifs and ideas that he builds up so cleverly interwoven, even when doing a last minute replacement score.

Such an impressive (and loud) track. Love it (and also love the Newman's score, not sure if it's a popular or unpopular opinion).

Last night I watched TEMPLE OF DOOM. It aged a lot, way more than RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. The sound mix of the iTunes version is all over the place and it didn't help with Kate Capshaw's constant screaming. The overall movie is poorly written, goofy, and frankly quite cartoonish in its last half-hour. It was, for a long time, my favorite Indy movie, but now… probably not anymore. There are some incredible scenes (the mine carts, the first ritual), but for me, it doesn't hold up very well.

6 minutes ago, iamleyeti said:

it didn't help with Kate Capshaw's constant screaming.

She does scream a lot. But I take her screaming over PWB’s insufferable feminist Helena any day of the week. 

2 hours ago, JTW said:

She does scream a lot. But I take her screaming over PWB’s insufferable feminist Helena any day of the week. 

I just watched that movie. How is she feminist?

I've come to like Temple of Doom far more than when I saw it opening night. But that leaves a LOT of room for it to not be very good.

Mission : Impossible - imminent release of the 7th movie has me in the mood to rewatch some of the earlier flicks. More of a 'spy thriller with occasional setpieces' (those being the opening mission-gone-wrong in Prague, the Langley high-security computer vault 'heist' and the climactic train/'copter action) than a full-on action blockbuster, this nonetheless does enough to set up the franchise pretty neatly.

Interesting to note that this had a 'McGuffin' of a list of deep-cover agents on a computer disc/hard drive falling into the wrong hands a good 16 years before the Bond franchise did (Skyfall).        

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I just watched that movie. How is she feminist?

I wonder. By not screaming constantly? By not needing to be constantly rescued by Indy?

Temple of Doom is suspicious in many aspect - the impotent, backwardly natives needing to be rescued by the white man, the colonial soldiers saving the day, and Willie as the stereotypical hysterical (look up the original meaning of the term) woman. I'm willing to overlook them because it's still a fun film and I imagine people at the time "didn't know better" (although perhaps they should have). But if Helena is considered particularly feminist (which still wouldn't be a bad thing), Temple of Doom would by relation be super racist and super misogynistic.

40 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

By not screaming constantly? By not needing to be constantly rescued by Indy?

Willie acts like any normal person, especially a woman would if they got dragged into an extreme situation like that. Let’s be honest, I’m a man and I would be screaming and whining and crying all the time if I had to go through what Willie did. :)

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

How is she feminist?

There are dozens of reviews about DoD on YouTube elaborating on Helena being an insufferable feminist way more eloquently than I could. I can give you several links if you like.

37 minutes ago, JTW said:

There are dozens of reviews about DoD on YouTube elaborating on Helena being an insufferable feminist way more eloquently than I could. I can give you several links if you like.

Those sound like the sort of videos I actively avoid. Can you sum up? Is it because she was a woman and... Did things?

I'm sure Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a feminist, and her character may well be outside of what we see in the film, but I don't see her in any way portrayed as particularly a feminist or not a feminist. Neither did I find her insufferable - she was one of the best things about the film.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Those sound like the sort of videos I actively avoid. Can you sum up? Is it because she was a woman and... Did things?

What sort of videos do you actively avoid? The ones where people say that Helena is an insufferable feminist and explain why? If you're not interested in their opinion and explanation, why should I explain the same thing to you? :)