What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

Das Boot, first watch, DC. Wow.

I haven't seen it in 25 years, but it's a hell of a thing.

I listen to the score rather often. You know, I don't think I've ever heard once pushback for this synth score in a WWII film! 

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I listen to the score rather often. You know, I don't think I've ever heard once pushback for this synth score in a WWII film! 

Listened to both the OST and the rerelease today - and again I'm angry and confused. They're both streaming but I can't buy them, is the newer one chronological, are there really differences between it and the "album tracks" at the end, why put dialogue and SFX over them when that just sounds like pure assholery, are they missing cues only present in a finalised mix, but then why are they called album cues and how did they make a full remixed DC, arrgh

On 20/08/2022 at 4:32 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe, Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, and the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So, say it once, say it loud: "I'm black and I'm proud".

A typically joyous, and life-affirming film from Parker (he even has a cameo), with a very energetic cast. It gets better with age.

As well as the cameo as the record producer, a previous Parker film appears via a prominently displayed standee in the scene where the lads are having a discussion in the video shop. 

12 Angry Men

Working my way through quite a lot of movies I have never seen.

This was a great start. Loved it. I love everything related to courtrooms in film.

The 12 men, lead by Henry Fonda, were all outstanding. And I loved that the film took place in basically one room.

All the character development for quite a few men in just 90 minutes took my by surprise.

Wonderful stuff. Next one tomorrow

The Godfather Epic (1901-1959) (*****)

I was recovering from a cold this weekend, and spent all of Sunday watching the 7-hour Godfather Saga. This is the version that combines the first two films in chronological order and dates back first to broadcast TV in the 1970's, then as a series of VHS releases, and most recently on HBO in HD (which is the version I watched). I admit that I have a weakness for this version, and while cinema & Godfather purists will disagree, it's my preferred way of watching these films. While I acknowledge that alternating young Vito's & Michael's stories in Godfather II is certainly more cinematically artistic, I find there's something deeply satisfying watching the story unfold chronologically. By the end you feel like you've watched more than just a couple movies, but rather been on a long, multi-generational journey with this family. Vito's story, in particular, attains an immediacy, and agency to it, when told as his own story rather than one which exists to contrast Michael's. And all the reincorporated deleted scenes only serve to flesh out the story further.  

Highly recommended (if you can find it)

The Godfather: The Death of Michael Corleone (***)

After finishing the Epic, I watched this new cut of Godfather III. I did find it to be considerably more intelligible, plot-wise, than the original, and it now feels more like the "Coda" Coopola intended it to be, rather than a tacked on third chapter. This is an improvement in itself, IMO, b/c the third one never felt like it fit with the first two.

All that said, it remains a deeply flawed film, which continues to suffer greatly from Robert Duvall's absence & Sofia Coopola's presence, and for this reason I revisit it infrequently.

40 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Yesterday I watched the UNCUT version of Psycho on Bluray.

My God... UNCUT... we talk about two extended shots representing what...  5 seconds more to the whole movie?

ROTFLMAO

Psycho Uncut? Does this mean that she lives? 

On 22/08/2022 at 9:53 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

The Godfather Epic (1901-1959) (*****)

I was recovering from a cold this weekend, and spent all of Sunday watching the 7-hour Godfather Saga. This is the version that combines the first two films in chronological order and dates back first to broadcast TV in the 1970's, then as a series of VHS releases, and most recently on HBO in HD (which is the version I watched). I admit that I have a weakness for this version, and while cinema & Godfather purists will disagree, it's my preferred way of watching these films. While I acknowledge that alternating young Vito's & Michael's stories in Godfather II is certainly more cinematically artistic, I find there's something deeply satisfying watching the story unfold chronologically. By the end you feel like you've watched more than just a couple movies, but rather been on a long, multi-generational journey with this family. Vito's story, in particular, attains an immediacy, and agency to it, when told as his own story rather than one which exists to contrast Michael's. And all the reincorporated deleted scenes only serve to flesh out the story further.  

I think it was called 'The Godfather Saga' here. The linearity isn't a problem, per se, but it sure drags (and not only in spots) without the time jumps.

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Greta - passable Neil Jordan thriller, in which Chloe Grace Moretz befriends Isabelle Huppert only for the latter to unfortunately turn out to be a full-blown loon.

Hehe, I remember that movie, cheesy fun

39 minutes ago, publicist said:

I think it was called 'The Godfather Saga' here. The linearity isn't a problem, per se, but it sure drags (and not only in spots) without the time jumps.

Yeah, it was originally called the Saga on network TV, then Epic for the first VHS release, then "The Godfather Trilogy" when they tacked on Part III for yet another VHS release, and finally the Godfather Epic again for the unedited HD version that showed up on HBO out of nowhere (which did not include Part III).  Sadly, there's never been a Blu-Ray or even DVD release of either the two or three film edit, and there likely never will be.

And that's way more than you probably wanted to know, and way more than I thought I knew about this. ROTFLMAO

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

And that's way more than you probably wanted to know, and way more than I thought I knew about this. ROTFLMAO

I can add my bit of sad trivia, it's the version you watch when it dawns on you they destroyed the brilliant german dub of Part 1 for a mediocre modern 5.1 'redub', which is the only thing showing nowadays. 

When I was a kid, there was an ad for Megaforce that was published on the back cover of LOTS of comic books.  

4C9CEF7C-6A8B-4624-8801-1E08911EFC30.jpeg

I saw everything theatrically back in 1982, so I’m not sure how this got by me.   I’m also not sure why I waited 40 years to check it out.  Got the new Australian Blu Ray. 

Wow, what a Turkey!  Why was Persis Khambata in this only to be told despite her mad fighting skills she was a woman and would distract the team!?  Why was Henry Silva in this to be the bad guy whose crimes were sort of nebulous, and was only ostracized from Megaforce because he didn’t give Barry Bostwick his lighter back?!  This movie was terrible, and I have a feeling the bonus features will be more interesting.  I do think somewhere in here is the DNA for what became the modern GI Joe mythos.   I laughed out loud a few times, but wanted it to be a little more bonkers and less strategically muddled. 

Like everytime I watch Blade Runner, I want a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.

Then, I want to play with an old Atari console too!!! :mrgreen:

Oh they’re not even in the same league, World Crime or otherwise. 

I actually loved Barry Bostwick’s hammy Adam West on cocaine style performance. I just wish they’d swung just a little higher.  And given Persis Khambata something to do.  And made Henry Silva really evil instead of simply coked out. 

15 hours ago, Andy said:

When I was a kid, there was an ad for Megaforce that was published on the back cover of LOTS of comic books.  

4C9CEF7C-6A8B-4624-8801-1E08911EFC30.jpeg

I saw everything theatrically back in 1982, so I’m not sure how this got by me.   I’m also not sure why I waited 40 years to check it out.  Got the new Australian Blu Ray. 

Wow, what a Turkey!  Why was Persis Khambata in this only to be told despite her mad fighting skills she was a woman and would distract the team!?  Why was Henry Silva in this to be the bad guy whose crimes were sort of nebulous, and was only ostracized from Megaforce because he didn’t give Barry Bostwick his lighter back?!  This movie was terrible, and I have a feeling the bonus features will be more interesting.  I do think somewhere in here is the DNA for what became the modern GI Joe mythos.   I laughed out loud a few times, but wanted it to be a little more bonkers and less strategically muddled. 

Yet another from the long 'always saw it on the video shop shelves back in the day, never got round to renting it for whatever reason and I wish it would crop up on TV somewhere so that I don't actually have to part with money to see it' list. 

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yet another from the long 'always saw it on the video shop shelves back in the day, never got round to renting it for whatever reason and I wish it would crop up on TV somewhere so that I don't actually have to part with money to see it' list.

Any more films on that list, Sweep?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I feel the same way about MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE.

I haven't seen it since the theater 35 (!) years ago, but MotU was surprisingly good. Beat the hell out of Superman IV.

My Ice Pirates is still in the shrinkwrap.  Yeah, I blind buy things. 

Masters of the Universe had some decent production design, but sadly abandoned the fantasy world for Earth, for budget reasons.  In other words, it started out really cool. 

Somehow even a flawed piece of crap like Megaforce has a certain charm when you try to see the intentions and struggle to put big ideas on screen. 

On 24/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, Andy said:

Why was Persis Khambata in this only to be told despite her mad fighting skills she was a woman and would distract the team!?

Um, because despite her mad fighting skills she'd distract the team? She is Deltan after all.

Her oath of celibacy is on record.

Airplane! - still a strong contender for one of the funniest films ever made ... so many different types of gag (puns, slapstick, surreal, visual, parody, aural) all thrown into the mix, and the vast majority of them 'land'.    

In StaWaz the France French dubbers changed the name of Chewbacca to Chiquetabac (chew tobacco), C-3PO to Z-6PO (that's the french speaking model!) and Jabba the Hutt to Jabba "Le forestier" (Hutt.. hunt... a cabine? In the forest?... ok, he must be a forester!)

I bet that CE3K has Laçombe saying "Ze belong 'ere Mozambique" :lol:

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Airplane! - still a strong contender for one of the funniest films ever made ... so many different types of gag (puns, slapstick, surreal, visual, parody, aural) all thrown into the mix, and the vast majority of them 'land'.    

It is among the funniest films ever made. 

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I bet that CE3K has Laçombe saying "Ze belong 'ere Mozambique" :lol:

Do you wonder why we see that very tall Alien coming out of the spaceship at the end of the movie, then she goes away very quickly, and we don't see it again?

Well, in a censored scene, Lacombe said to her: Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?

Saberspark on Twitter: "Question time Twitter: what's something from a  movie that scared you as a kid? For me, it was the tall alien from Close  Encounters of the Third Kind. That

Always Be My Maybe': Ali Wong & Randall Park Bring Heart & Plenty Of Laughs  To Netflix's New Rom-Com Champion [Review]

Always Be My Maybe

The rare romantic comedy that isn't just disposable and formulaic; It's pretty well done on all fronts.  The best bit of comedy comes from an extended cameo from Keanu Reeves playing an exaggerated version of himself, and the romantic plot while still following the usual path of them being together, falling apart for some dumb reason, then coming together at the end after one or both of them have some personal growth is all present, but still done in an actual fresh way here.  Not bad!

It's on netflix

Paycheck - Movies on Google Play

Paycheck

Hehe, I saw this film in the theaters when it came out, but have forgotten everything about it since then.  I only re-watched it because of the expanded release of its John Powell score, and I was glad I did for that reason; Knowing the context for the music made me appreciate it all that much more.

The film plays with some fun ideas - Ben Affleck is a "reverse engineer" who gets hired by tech companies to figure out how a competitor's product works so they can make their own, then wipes his mind of all hid time spent there so there is no liability.  When he "wakes up" from his most recent job and finds his promised money gone and his possessions replaced by curious items, he has to figure out what he got up before the wipe and what tech he was involved with....

but it's all depicted in pretty over-the-top manor, with some crazy motocycle chase kind of thrown in and just a too action-heavy sensibility given to a story that doesn't really have much action to it.  I wonder what attracted John Woo to this story?

Uma Thurman is pretty good as the love interest, and Aaron Eckhart is a good bad guy.  Paul Giamatti, Colm Feore, Michael C Hall, and Jor Morton all show up too!  It's really silly and forgettable I can't recommend it.

It was free on Paramount+ when we had it, nicely timed for us

Whenever I listen to that score, I picture Ben Affleck on the top of a pig, trying to escape his enemies, a scene that was scored by Powell's epic, energetic music ROTFLMAO

(there's also another meaning for the word "hog", but I won't say it here in order to keep the forum family friendly)