What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Yeah. Its also a fun movie to pop in on a night with a group of friends.

Don't think it has much revalue though. Never felt any reason to watch it again.

I liked the female lead, she was yummy.

I watched it twice, the second time to show it to a work colleague who likes horror movies and satires but never saw it. I probably won't watch it a third time, other than for the banter of the two main horror workers.

Saw INTO THE WILD again...and the end always cracks me up. Not a big fan of too much Eddie Vedder on the soundtrack but Emile Hirsch is wonderful in this, as is Hal Holbrook.

Fantastic, this one... Love everything about this film. And K-Stew is surprisingly good, some nice scenes with Hirsch.

Cabin In The Woods

Eh, I didn't care for it. I really admire the idea behind it, and it had some good parts and sequences... and I really admire the ending, especially the final shot.

I thought this was a blast. First I was like WTF with everything going on, but I could see the screenwriters having some crazy fun with their ideas, and for me at least it worked very well.

The Imitation Game - elegant, amusing and very moving biopic of Alan Turing, the mathematical genius who designed the machine (and in doing so, effectively invented the computer) that cracked the German Enigma codes during WW2, leading to the shortening of the war by 2 years and saving an estimated 14 million lives ... sadly, this was to cut him no slack at all with the authorities when his homosexuality was discovered in the early Fifties. This movie is testament to the fact that not every war hero necessarily 'sees action', or was treated anything like they should've been afterwards.

SNOWPIERCER

Pretty good action film with very strong cinematography and an original setting for the plot to unfold. The Korean director Bong Joon Ho clearly has a style that is striking, and as the story progresses, so does its visual style. From the muted and monotone colors of the opening scenes to something a lot brighter as we get to know more what happens on the train that pierces snow, on an endless cycle around our planet that is no longer habitable. And the oppressed people on the train begin fighting back for a chance at something better. The fact that the whole film takes place on a futuristic train travelling at insane speed around the globe, was enough reason for me to check it out. I like the director's The Host from a couple of years ago, which was a family drama disguised as a monster flick, so I knew at least he was able to make something totally original. Didn't really notice all that much of Beltrami's score, except for the end credits which was nice.

8/10

Did he make The Host? Hmm, I liked Snowpiercer better.

Contagion: I never felt what the movie was trying to sell. Standouts are Jude Law, Matt Damon and Cliff Martinez (another no woodwinds score). 5/10

download_zpsdb2e445e.jpg

Contagion had one major thing going for it... casting all these celebrities and making them feel as human as you next-door neighbor. Or that even these big stars are not immune to such a horrible virus.

Despite all these great actors in it, the movie felt small-scale and intimate and more realistic than say, Outbreak (which I also like but for different reasons).

Yes, Matt Damon was surprisingly human ...

Indencies (2010): Twins journey to the Middle East to discover their family history and fulfill their mother's last wishes. Denis Villeneuve's last movie before he went to Hollywood to make Enemy and Prisoners (in that order). The film's events are tragic, very tragic, Koray tragic, but that doesn't automatically make great cinema. In fact, when the drama is too pronounced and undeniable, movies are likely to become 'uninteresting', because the emotions they wants to extract from the viewer are way too obvious. The score wisely avoids the typical wailing woodwinds one comes to expect with movies set in the Middle East. 6/10

incendies-poster-0_zpsf987503a.jpg

Alex

Contagion: I never felt what the movie was trying to sell.

I had the same problem with it. It tried to do too much in too little time. I felt it should have focused on the science, which seemed the like the most interesting part to me.

Total Recall

MV5BMTc2MTU4ODI5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI2

Incredibly, this the first time I've seen the full unedited version. I had only seen it on network or cable TV. After the first 10 minutes it sails into non-stop high energy for the next 90.

"See You at the Party Richter!"

Total Recall (2012): I knew this movie was going to be bad but it was worse. There's nothing good about it and everything you see is ripped off. Total Recall: CSI would have been a more appropriate title. 1/10

JessicaBielandKateBeckinsale-Maxim2012-0

Alex

Scent of a Woman

Again, can't believe how i saw this now!

Al Pacino's greatest performance that I've seen!

And I loved too the general autumn-y atmosphere..

Chris O'Donnel reminded me a lot (in his expressions) of Ethan Hawk in Dead Poets Society.

Wasnt Scarface the beginning? He went from such a subtle actor to what he is today...

Maybe, but I I was relieved to see him less caricatural in Donnie Brasco.

He was a caricature of his caricature in Dick Tracy.

Yeah it's grotesque and funny at the same time.

You Will Meet A Dark Tall Stranger: I forgot that I've seen it. Still, it wasn't bad. It reminded me of a Mike Leigh film. Good acting in a movie that feels like a play. 6/10

You_will_meet_a_tall_dark_stranger_ver3_

Alex

On the back of the Jurassic World trailer and re-reading the book, Jurassic Park.

Found myself wishing it had been closer to the book in terms of Hammond and maybe even the grim violence wrought upon the characters but you can't have everything and what there is still remains a very good film. Bob Peck every time is a delight, that weariness he has towards the park, the slight smile as the T-rex gives up the chase on the jeep or the realisation before the raptor jumps him. Sam Neill is great, Laura Dern (Bryce Dallas Howard seems to be channelling her right down to her shout of "Run!"), Goldblum and of course Dickie Attenborough. Special mention to Samuel L. Jackson

Having not seen much of the JW thread and kept away from details I didn't realise JW was a continuation, being on Isla Nublar after all those years and so wonder what, if anything of the films will crop up in JW. Presumably Site B exists in some way.

Anyway, JP does the job right down to the end and that shot of the pelicans accompanied by the Theme.

And The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, driven by vivid technicolour, Roger Livesey's endless energy and charisma, the film remains profound moving. Personally, this is one of the best films made, if not simply from P&P's body of work.

He was a caricature of his caricature in Dick Tracy.

Great flick. Great friggin' flick. The guy is brilliant.

Yes, I love that film too and its aesthetics.

Especially coupled with the Roger Rabbit short, as I saw it at the cinema! :)

I don't know but back then, going to the cinema was a big event for me.

Was it because I was younger? Was it because we didn't know anything about a film besides a trailer and some promo photos here and there?

Probably both.

062407firstblood.jpg

3rd time I saw this from my newly puchased Bluray which is restored and much better than the US release.

What can i say about this movie? It's trully great! I think it will become a yearly tradition for me in early December (its plot is around Christmas and i love this winter setting in the forest)

Someone would probably expect an action b-movie, but it's not anything close to that.

Someone suggested that Stallone should be nominated for best actor Oscar. I don't remember who were nominated that year, but maybe he should. Especially for the ending scene..

And don't you love it when you can enjoy great action music too on top of a solid film? Well, I do...

By the way, have you seen the alternate ending?

I didn't know about it and just saw it now for the first time.

Wow, if they had used that there would be no room for sequels!

The tone of First Blood has always felt a little eerie and unsettling to me.

It might be the isolated wilderness combined with Rambo's descent into madness and depression.

There's a quasi-religious "man facing his creator" theme that permeates throughout, particularly at the end where Rambo places the responsibility of his failure on his superior.

The tone of First Blood has always felt a little eerie and unsettling to me.

It might be the isolated wilderness combined with Rambo's descent into madness and depression.

There's a quasi-religious "man facing his creator" theme that permeates throughout, particularly at the end where Rambo places the responsibility of his failure on his superior.

It's also visually bleak, the characters are mostly all disagreeable and it's basically grim as hell. Goldsmith's score captures the mood perfectly.

The Fighter: Sorta good, but, as usual, David O. Russell overdoes things, and unlike Stanley Kubrick, he does it without any kind of humor. It's actually very similar to the movies of Darren Aronofsky, who is the producer of The Fighter. Bale is amazing though. He completely disappears in his character. He was also the one who impressed me the most in Russell's American Hustle. 7/10

the_fighter450_zpsf65f3207.jpg

Alex

I was just playing Grand Theft Auto V and entered the movie theatre, when I stumbled on the ultimate movie for Alexcremers and Koray Savas to disagree over!

And for me to hate!

Glad you've finally got round to GTAV, Lee. What level are you on?

The Omen. As I said it's a mean film. It's unrelenting. Jerry's score is brilliant but unworthy of the Oscar it should have gone to Pino Donnagio's Carrie which might have been nominated had not Hermann died and needlessly been nominated twice for forgettable stuff. Still it's great because it's small and basic horror movie. The acting is better than I remember. David Warner is great. But then when isn't he.

Yeah because we dicuss them all the time here through the years. Seriously if he had not died one would have been nominated and Taxi Driver would have had one less nomination.

What does that have to do with anything?

We don't exactly discuss Psycho, Lawrence of Arabia or Exodus, all the time either! Are those scores forgettable stuff too?

Can you honestly call the Taxi Driver theme forgettable?

Ah but we do discuss those films and their scores and have through the years. I have no memory of the Taxi Diver theme I'm sorry to say. I'd put Carrie head to head against it anyday.