What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Just got done rewatching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Despite some retreading and a few too many jokes, this might be my favorite Indiana Jones movie. It's not as balls-to-the-wall crazy as the best parts of Temple of Doom but it makes up for it in consistency and the surprisingly touching emotional heart of the movie with Indy's relationship with his father.

It is the most emotionally resonant only crippled by the cartoon nazis though whom to choose to replace them? The russians in KOTCS i. e. were totally lame antagonists.

It makes the film too much of a replay of the first one. It is the 'deepest' but somewhat harmed by the perfunctory nazi villains. They are too light and could use a real good main baddie.

Don't forget that prudish Spielberg and Lucas had to be talked into some of the biggest laughs by Connery himself (that he also mounted Elsa, i. e.).

What was wrong with the Vogel and Donovan double act? No issues here, they were good slimy 2D villains. Belloq they weren't, but Raiders is in another league anyway.

Yes.

I always have a thought with Spalko in the fourth film. She's one of the better designed villains in the series, but they go absolutely nowhere with the character... But looking at her, she should have been the one that made us think "oh crap she's going to actually manage to kill Indy". The structure of the film and the Disney tone never allowed for that.

Now they can legitimately follow Austin Powers and make the villain dutch.

Funny that Myers didn't even speak dutch as the villain. Maybe it was south-african. :lol:

I'm not sure why it's seen as so much of a retread of the first one. It doesn't copy scenes from that one.

yes it does.

The Last Crusade is one of the greatest comedy films ever made.

and by greatest you mean one of the biggest groan inducing "comedies".

Spielberg has said that he thought in retrospect he'd made the Nazis in Crusade too 'light', but hoped that Schindler's List had redressed the balance.

He made the Nazis lighter than in Hogans Heroes. They were so not menancing.

I dunno, I thought the SS was quite competent and threatening on Hogan's Heroes.

It was the Luftwaffe and the Wehrmacht that were portrayed as bumbling baffoons.

Kind of like the Nazis in Danger Five.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Even though it's my least favorite of the 3 Indiana Jones movies, it's still awesome. It's definitely the most "perfect" movie of the bunch but the other 2 beat it in thrills and humor for me.
One thing that constantly surprises me is how little the classic "Raider's March" is used. It's not played in full until the end credits, with the theme for the Ark dominating the score.

Raiders blows the other 2 (great sequels) away imo. It's in a league of its own. What stands out most for me compared to the others is the tone, it's so brilliantly dry and every line of dialogue is inserted with an almost sneering precision. Unlike its sequels Raiders feels like a rollicking adventure movie with very grown up sensibilities. Kasdan's dialogue is a marvel of elegance, economy and wit. His contribution was as important as Spielberg's, Ford's and Williams'. My second favourite film, after Jaws.