What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

filmmusic, adding completely new sounds into an audio mix is far more offensive than making a film a little tealer while also restoring it to a stunning HD digital print.

I will always watch Jaws with the original mono mix and not the stupid new mix because of the ridiculous new sounds they added.

However, if a film that only existed in mono gets a 5.1 mix on a BD that doesn't actually change the sounds, I'd watch that.

We watched Twin Peaks and are now watching The X-Files in their new 5.1 mixes that didn't exist when the episodes first aired and they are fine by me.

filmmusic, adding completely new sounds into an audio mix is far more offensive than making a film a little tealer while also restoring it to a stunning HD digital print.

I'm sorry, when did I say that when I refer to a remix I refer to new sounds added?

There are different kinds of audio remixes in films.

Those remixes that just change the positioning of the various effects in space (without altering, changing , adding new sounds), and those that do add new sounds.

So yes, a remix that adds/alters sounds is as bad as changing colors, DNR etc.

I never said that you said that. I was responding directly to the question you asked me about Jaws' audio mix.

Also, when it comes to grain, the choice isn't always up to the director or the DP.

I recall an interview years ago with scorcese where he said that in the late 70's to mid 80's often production were forced by studio's to use lesser quality film stock because it cost less.

Lot of films from that era are grainy. Maybe not the high end productions by big name directors who had a lot of clout. But many films looked very noisy and if the Blu-ray release reduces that a bit without going too far, then thats great.

I never said that you said that. I was responding directly to the question you asked me about Jaws' audio mix.

Ah, ok I see..

So, you accept color changes and DNR more than audio changes.

It depends on the film, of course.

I dislike the audio changes to Jaws, but don't mind the color changes to Aliens.

Then there could be some other film with a million audio changes I don't even notice, but the color is wildly changed that I would notice.

Lot of films from that era are grainy. Maybe not the high end productions by big name directors who had a lot of clout. But many films looked very noisy and if the Blu-ray release reduces that a bit without going too far, then thats great.

I don't have a problem with "a bit" too! ;)

I have a problem with "completely"!

I dislike the audio changes to Jaws, but don't mind the color changes to Aliens.

Then there could be some other film with a million audio changes I don't even notice, but the color is wildly changed that I would notice.

True.

It's actually quite cool that we are able to discuss how colors, grain and sound mixes for home video correspond to how a film looked in the cinema.

I grew up on VHS, where grain wasnt an issue, colors were always a bit soft and it was a godsent to have stereo or Dolby Prologic sound.

Blu-ray is essentially the current VHS. Its not a niche medium, despite the high quality. Its a mass consumer format that tries to cater to as wide an audience as it can.

well, it depends eventually on what are your priorities..

Back in my childhood I painted a lot, and I would be either a painter or a musician.

So, I'm really sensitive I'd say regarding colors.

Of course I say again, this applies to films I love and have seen.

If it's something I haven't seen or know, I wouldn't care much probably.

eg. there was an instance of a film, theThief, that I saw the Criterion edition without knowing anything about the film or how it looked.

As i was watching it, i noticed that it was too teal, and I was sure that the colors were revised and wasn't like this in the 80s.

And I was right, when the Arrow release came that contained both the revised director's cut, and the original theatrical one.

Still, I don't know what color palette I prefer more in this film.

Probably I'll stick to the original again, although i first saw the film (and loved it) in the teal version.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5422&disc2=5423&cap1=50609&cap2=50619&art=full&image=8&hd_multiID=1497&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Tell me know, if this was a film that you adored , wouldn't you be angry with that radical color change?

It changes the aesthetics of the film completely!

Yikes, that is a very radical and gross color change. I mean, they are changing the color of people's clothes!

The changes to Aliens are not nearly that noticeable.

You like the version where everybody is wearing blue clothes more than the version where everybody is wearing a variety of different clothes?

as I've said in another forum, I think the relationship of directors now to current technology is like little kids with new toys!

They adore playing with it and trying different things, but sometimes they should know where to stop.

I love starting a lively debate on the boards. Makes me feel like I got something done with my day. . . .

For the record, I do think some of those shots in Aliens went a little overboard. (Mostly on LV426, though. I notice they didn't alter much of the early material, other than making it blessedly clearer.) It's not absolutely terrible in this case, but I can see where changing the color palette of a movie does alter its feel, and that isn't always going to be a good thing. If they'd tealed up the first Alien to that degree, I'd be through the roof myself.

That shot from Thief is straight-up egregious, though. Alters the entire mood of the scene. And they changed more than just the colors, too. If you look closely, you can see John Williams (bending over the body on the floor) is wearing a dark jacket over a gray shirt, not a black turtleneck. Some of these alterations just go way, way too far. . . .

as I've said in another forum, I think the relationship of directors now to current technology is like little kids with new toys!

They adore playing with it and trying different things, but sometimes they should know where to stop.

You could have said the same with Jerry and his army of DX7s, M1s, CE-20s, D50s, GS-1s, SY77s, OB-8s, Xpanders, JP8s, T-8s, Memorymoogs and Arp Quadras.

You could have said the same with Jerry and his army of DX7s, M1s, CE-20s, D50s, GS-1s, SY77s, OB-8s, Xpanders, JP8s, T-8s, Memorymoogs and Arp Quadras.

But that again is different.

Goldsmith didn't use those to interfere in previous existing material.

I meant directors that use the tools of current technology to interfere on their older films (change colors/contrast, DNRing them, alter sound design etc.)

The Ghost and the Darkness. While I can't say this film is absolutely terrible, the script cannot decide whether it wants to tell a true story, create an archetypical adventure or a horror movie. It's all of them and neither. And here lies the problem. Douglas feels sort of out of place in this (fictional, I was told) role of seasoned hunter. Val Kilmer is, on the other hand, quite likeable. The score is top notch, bringing just enough balance so that it satisfies all the requirements of its inconsequential script. It has some nice ethnic colours but doesn't succumb to the temptation of trying to convey so-called "authenticity". It would have failed badly, anyway.

Karol

The Ghost and the Darkness. While I can't say this film is absolutely terrible, the script cannot decide whether it wants to tell a true story, create an archetypical adventure or a horror movie. It's all of them and neither. And here lies the problem. Douglas feels sort of out of place in this (fictional, I was told) role of seasoned hunter. Val Kilmer is, on the other hand, quite likeable. The score is top notch, bringing just enough balance so that it satisfies all the requirements of its inconsequential script. It has some nice ethnic colours but doesn't succumb to the temptation of trying to convey so-called "authenticity". It would have failed badly, anyway.

Karol

I consider The Ghost and the Darkness and The Edge to be the best "man-eater" films ever. Minimal to none CGI. The terror that fills you when the main characters are in their path...damn!

The scene where Val Kilmer brings an untested rifle with him while hunting the lion remains one of my favorite theatrical experiences. When it went CLICK!, the guy sitting in front of us says, "OH SHIT!!!". We all felt it, he said it lol.

Or the scene from The Edge where Anthony Hopkins is fishing in the river and the camera just sort of reveals the bear staring at him...you just get that sick, sinking feeling inside when Goldsmith's theme is playing at that moment. "OH SHIT!!!" indeed.

Were there any other man-eater films that even came close to these two?

You gotta see White Buffallo if you like Ghost and the Darkness. Although the former is better in my opinion, I don't like how they make all triumphant in Ghost and Darkness when they finally kill both lions, despite what they to those innocent workers. I wish it would have been more reflective instead of "Fuck yeah we did it!"

I consider The Ghost and the Darkness and The Edge to be the best "man-eater" films ever. Minimal to none CGI. The terror that fills you when the main characters are in their path...damn!

This is why these movies were effective for me, the predators were depicted in very frightening ways, and in the case of the lions there's almost a sense of primal malevolence about them. I had respect for the lions! I think it takes a certain skill to achieve that in a movie.

I've started Family Plot (Hitchcock, 1976) yesterday... and I fall asleep.

Just kidding. That's a funny classic seventies movie. I will watch the second part today.

The music? Well... that's... harpsichord... seventies harpsichord.

Mad Max 2 - ahhh ... from the days when action movies weren't afraid to be for adults, weren't marketed to death, had good old gratuitous nudity, and didn't have CGI available to them or Health And Safety breathing down their necks so all the stuntwork had to be performed for real and at genuine risk to the participants.

:)

Mad Max 2 - ahhh ... from the days when action movies weren't afraid to be for adults, weren't marketed to death, had good old gratuitous nudity, and didn't have CGI available to them or Health And Safety breathing down their necks so all the stuntwork had to be performed for real and at genuine risk to the participants.

:)

Fury Road looks to continue that trend. Old-school action and stunts... for adults. Yes please.

Mad Max

Before seeing the new one I decided to go back tyo the original 1979 film, made for less the half a million Aussie bucks and only the second film from Australia to be shot with an anamorphic lense.

Mad Max is a rough, crude low budget exploration-like film, filled with off-kilter, weird characters opften spouting near nonsensical dialogue in a rather over the top fashion. It's far from a subtle film in terms of style, performances and even music (Brian May's symphonic score ius filled with blaring horns, pounding timpani and crashing cymbals, sometimes effective, sometimes too distracting)

The film however looks excellent, especially considering when it was shot and for how much. Miller makes the most out of his meager budget and the junk yard, recycled look of just about anything in the film helps to odd to the notion if a world in dire straits.

The film doesnt have as ,much action as the Road Warrior, but what there is has been impressively filmed. Usually car chases are rather dull to watch. We see thousands of them in films and TC. The ones here have a visceral quality that Miller would improve upon in his later Mad Max films.

The casting is decent, though the acting is rough and rather over the top. Villains and heroes alike seem obsessed with speed and declamatory speeches. But the characterizations are generally solid.

A very young Mel Gibson stars. He shows off his talent and burgeoning screen charisma. Though even he is still very rough around the edges. (just compare his performance in The Road Warrior just two years later)

As just over 90 minutes the film never bores, despite the fact that it hardly has any real story or plot. It's style over substance, but in a good way.

Miller made this solid action film on a shoestring, can't wait to see what he does with a huge budget....

*** out of ****

Dated movies are all movies not new.

A movie playing today can be more old-fashioned or outdated in style and ideas than a movie that is made yesterday.

I've never seen a Mad Max film.

I don't watch Flikken either.

I've started Family Plot (Hitchcock, 1976) yesterday... and I fall asleep.

Just kidding. That's a funny classic seventies movie. I will watch the second part today.

The music? Well... that's... harpsichord... seventies harpsichord.

I must admit I had a hard time trying to finish it.

Finally, not a very good movie, a lot lot lot of unnecessary filling!

Now there is Always I want to see again... never saw it again since it's original release.

6721.jpg

Labor Day (2013) Director: Jason Reitman

This is a superb film, featuring flesh and blood characters and real human emotions. I was stunned at the honesty of the storytelling and the performance of Kate Winslet, she delivered one more worthy of an award. And even with zero makeup and looking her most depressed during the film, she was absolutely confident and completely in tune with her character. The apple does fall far from the tree when the son of goofball comedy director of Ghostbusters and Twins can deliver such a heartfelt drama, I could not keep it dry in the end, a sign that the film touched me in a profound way.

Oh and there are two Spielberg references and one clear as day 'Music by John Williams' shot. You simply can't miss it. I couldn't help but raise a smile. I wonder who Jason's real hero was when he was a kid... Clearly not his dad. :D

9/10

I don't understand why action filmmaking gets automatically characterized as "not missing much" by default.

I like the concept. It's a mutation on the idea of an "adventure film" (an admittedly wide genre that's my favourite anyways) that kind of started developing in paralell. I think that's interesting.