What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I've done that a couple of times. I just pretend I'm still back in the days when VHS was the best thing going. (Yes, there was a time. . . .)

YouTube is great. It has a full screen button, often has good to decent quality, is often free, and often doesn't stop you from saving the file. If you don't bounce your nose off the screen, it looks fine.

Is the film in public domain or did you just support piracy?

Simply watching your DVDs and blu-rays should be illegal because you only paid for them once. The players' firmware should be updated so that it will only work when you have an internet connection and you will need to pay a fee each time you view a disc.

That's ridiculous. I paid for them so I can own them, and watch them as many times as I want. That's what ownership is basically, you do with it as you please.

Imagine having to pay for music every time you want to listen to it? You'd hate that right? :shakehead:

That would be the ideal way of listening to music. If you can't do that for John Williams' music, then you don't care for John Williams.

:lol2:

Unless you're not kidding, then

:pat:

So instead of convincing people to pay once for music (or movies or whatever) you want them to pay for it each and every time... Well that'll go well with everyone, especially those short on cash. Pirates ahoy !

Charging good citizens for the privilege of viewing content each and every time should not excuse or justify criminal behavior.

Movies are expensive to make and people aren't paying enough for the studios to recoup their losses. If people love entertainment, they will allocate more funds accordingly.

Why are movies expensive to make, because the stars have enormous salaries... Well, that's just one part of the total cost but you get my meaning.

Good for them of course, but why should we, normal folk, pay more because actors need their 5 villa's and 20 sports cars?

And I used to go to the cinema a lot more than nowadays, and even when I paid for a ticket and I loved the film, I would still buy it on blu-ray, dvd afterwards.

It makes no sense to make people pay more for something they own.

How to Train Your Dragon
One of my favorite movies. It has its flaws (occasional dumb humor, a mostly pointless romance subplot) but makes up for it in heart and extremely satisfying storytelling. That's not to say the story is wholly original or completely unpredictable but it's executed so well that it doesn't really matter.

Movies are expensive to make and people aren't paying enough for the studios to recoup their losses. If people love entertainment, they will allocate more funds accordingly.

Yeah, they go on making tons of movies every year out of sheer altruism.

I revisited Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and I can't really say that it holds up. It's such a dour experience, thanks in no small part to David Yates' bland visual style and the equally bland acting (Alan Rickman excluded). The Columbus films may have been cheesy at times, but at least they contained a certain joy. This movie feels like a constant dirge. The pacing of the movie is off too, with boring and unnecessarily long dialogue scenes scattered throughout the movie.

The score is pretty good but the quotes of Williams' themes feel out of place.

37218_large.jpg

Trully a great film in terms of production values that had the ambition of reviving the old epic Hollywood style of 40s-50s.

Every JWfanner should watch it, if not for the film, at least for Williams' music which soars and provides many hair-raising moments! (with the best of them being the Land Race).

I laughed, I cried, and I was amazed once again..

Far and Away = schmaltzy film with a schmaltzy score, terrible performances, ugly cinematography, goes on for what seems like 3 hours, although Chief O'Brien is in it and it may have "inspired" James Cameron's Titanic. And people think I'm a loon for loving Ewoks: The Battle for Endor!

Colm Meaney on TV is such a great guy, but I swear he plays an asshole in every movie he's in. (I may have only seen two, though, plus his Star Trek series.)

2 Guns - pretty enjoyable action-comedy-thriller thing with Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg, and Edward James Olmos and Bill Paxton in bad-guy roles.

Also features Paula Patton in just a pair of panties, about which I am NOT complaining. Hehehe.

Jurassic Park. It's a film with a great story, very good acting, the best score of 1993 and effects that hold up 22 years later.

Yea, when I went to see that in theaters in 2013 for its 20th anniversary run, I was very impressed by how well it holds up - effects, pacing, humor, story, characters. It's just fantastic. Hearing the score in an IMAX theater was awesome

I watched it because we keep hearing the theme used in Jurassic World.

Titanic is okay but it's no Jurassic Park...

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Yet another dirge of a Potter film. This one at least has the advantage of being well paced.
Nicholas Hooper's score has its moments but is pulled down by its underscore which feature an obnoxiously incessant glockenspiel part. Unless Williams openly refused, there was no reason not to bring him back for this film, considering his schedule was wide open.

Both are textbook examples of bad screenwriting repealed by the technical brilliance of their respective directors. Though with a good deal of posters here, the lack of good dialogue and character development is akin to a badge of honor.

Both are textbook examples of bad screenwriting repealed by the technical brilliance of their respective directors. Though with a good deal of posters here, the lack of good dialogue and character development is akin to a badge of honor.

To be fair Jurassic Park is far more entertaining and has some parts of more memorable dialogue than Titanic in general. It's also less unnecesarily long.