What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Because this is by far the greatest drunk acting of all time:

It's not actually drunken acting. It's Colm Meany happily having a beer and burping in a satisfied manner.

Both are textbook examples of bad screenwriting repealed by the technical brilliance of their respective directors. Though with a good deal of posters here, the lack of good dialogue and character development is akin to a badge of honor.

I've been constantly surprised by the Titanic script. The more I watch it, the more I think it's really, really good. When I first saw it, I found it the lame schmaltzy love story I was expecting it to be. Now I see the love plot as just the driving force of the film, and it works well enough for that. But how if manages to carry the 4 hour film, and how it actually takes us through the entire ship, twice, during the sinking, is perfectly done. I'll never be able to stand the modern day framing bits, though.

Jurassic Park, on the other hand, got worse with every viewing. I used to love it, despite its complete failure to live up to the book, but then I was only 14 when I first saw it. But the script is mediocre at best and lame at its worst, leaving out anything (other than the actual dinos themselves) that made the book memorable, cardboarding its characters, and culminating in a deus ex machina climax that never made sense to me. It's competently directed, I guess, but it looks rather ugly for long stretches. The dino scenes were amazing for the time, of course, and several of them still hold up terrifically. But that's not enough to save a film. And neither is Williams' brilliant score, which is one of his best both on album and in the film. I love the spotting in this (although some of it seems to have been helped by moving bits around during editing).

been constantly surprised by the Titanic script. The more I watch it, the more I think it's really, really good. When I first saw it, I found it the lame schmaltzy love story I was expecting it to be. Now I see the love plot as just the driving force of the film, and it works well enough for that. But how if manages to carry the 4 hour film, and how it actually takes us through the entire ship, twice, during the sinking, is perfectly done. I'll never be able to stand the modern day framing bits, though.

I have only seen it twice. The dialogue is atrocious, methinks.

been constantly surprised by the Titanic script. The more I watch it, the more I think it's really, really good. When I first saw it, I found it the lame schmaltzy love story I was expecting it to be. Now I see the love plot as just the driving force of the film, and it works well enough for that. But how if manages to carry the 4 hour film, and how it actually takes us through the entire ship, twice, during the sinking, is perfectly done. I'll never be able to stand the modern day framing bits, though.

I have only seen it twice. The dialogue is atrocious, methinks.

you're way to critical.

The Secret of Kells

Okay. This was interesting. Some visually arresting parts, due to deleting the effect of depth on purpose. The representation of the invading Northmen as almost grunting orcs is hilarious/intense (depending on how you look at it) and it works great. Lots in magic in some parts of the film. Maybe it would have been way cooler in Gaelic, but then it possibly wouldn't have been made :( However, not everything is great. The character of Cellach is underveloped, even after scenes hinting at more. The Aisling character has an abrupt closure, and the ending feels rushed and completely anticlimatic. Damn.

Porky's

Awful... not funny at all. It's hard to swallow that the director of Black Christmas was responsible for this piece of garbage. It's like an '80s Michael Bay's Transformers, only with less robots and more pubic hair. The guys are obnoxious horndogs, the women are stereotypes or stupid (or both), and it's plain ugly to look at.

Jaws and Jaws 2.

Ok, I understand I will be crucified for this, but I find Jaws 2 much more engaging than Jaws.

hide_zpscb1dd803.gif

Especially the 2nd part.

I cared more about the helpless kids threatened by the shark, than the 3 men that went with equipment and guns to get the shark (also the Quint character wasn't likeable to me at all)!

Also, I like the score more too with those impressionistic passages..

Is there anyone here that prefers the sequel too? :)

edit: In view of Stefan's post below, I'll rephrase:

Is there any other idiot here like me? :)

Jaws and Jaws 2.

Ok, I understand I will be crucified for this, but I find Jaws 2 much more engaging than Jaws.

hide_zpscb1dd803.gif

Especially the 2nd part.

I cared more about the helpless kids threatened by the shark, than the 3 men that went with equipment and guns to get the shark (also the Quint character wasn't likeable to me at all)!

Also, I like the score more too with those impressionistic passages..

Is there anyone here that prefers the sequel too? :)

edit: In view of Stefan's post below, I'll rephrase:

Is there any other idiot here like me? :)

Can we bring the banhammer down please?

Best to nuke Greece from orbit, its the only way to be sure!

Jaws 2 is an outstanding score, a totally splendid follow up to the first one with some furious action writing, interesting underwater music and a superb closing fanfare.

But it isn't quite as special as Jaws, which was simpler, more primal, and more special somehow.

Jaws is a masterpiece of character, scripting, acting, score, editing, and directing. One of the best movies ever made. Period. Jaws 2 is a fun dumb shark movie with a lot of screaming teenagers.

Jaws and Jaws 2.

I find it interesting that you use that word since the original has some of the most engaging characters ever recorded on film. The second, not so much.

Jaws is a masterpiece of character, scripting, acting, score, editing, and directing. One of the best movies ever made. Period. Jaws 2 is a fun dumb shark movie.

Jaws and Jaws 2.

I find it interesting that you use that word since the original has some of the most engaging characters ever recording on film. The second, not so much.

well, i found the situation more engaging.

Not the characters.

Surely the Dreyfuss character and Quint's are more engaging than those of the kids (though as I 've said the latter wasn't likeable to me)

Like Pubs said, it's all the the eye of the beholder. If filmmusic says Jaws 2 is the more accomplished movie of the two then who are we to say it's not?

He's talking out of his arse just to be contrary, we know that.

If filmmusic had said Alien Resurrection was "more accomplished" than Scott's Alien Alex would have gone to defcon 1 and begun another typical character assassination.

Like Pubs said, it's all the the eye of the beholder. If filmmusic says Jaws 2 is the more accomplished movie of the two then who are we to say it's not?

Now, I didn 't say that.

I said it was more engaging to me.

Now, I didn 't say that.

You obviously don't have a real grasp of movies.

Meh, circle of JWFan life init. Easy to ignore if you know how it works here.

Easy for you to say, with kids and a hot new fiancé to distract you!

Just waiting for Star Wars now and the circle will be complete.

Oh hang on it might be rubbish!

I really can't take Alex seriously anymore.

Not after he refused to consider watching Fury Road because too many people here loved it.

I don't refuse to see it.

Now, I didn 't say that.

Accomplished, engaging, better, ... Whatever floats your boat!

Now, I didn 't say that.

Accomplished, engaging, better, ... Whatever floats your boat!

I can think of a film as more engaging than another, but not necessarily better than the other.

I don't know. Maybe I didn't choose the right word?

I meant that I was more on the edge of my seat in Jaws 2 than Jaws.

So you're saying Jaws 2 is more of a thriller while Jaws 1 is more of an adventure movie?

So you're saying Jaws 2 is more of a thriller while Jaws 1 is more of an adventure movie?

Well, maybe.

Certainly its 2nd part with the kids is more terrifying to me than the 2nd part of Jaws.

Well, maybe.

Certainly its 2nd part with the kids is more terrifying to me than the 2nd part of Jaws.

Terrifying in that you were scared the really annoying kids wouldn't be killed? (Which fortunately proved to be correct)

Well, maybe.

Terrifying in that you were scared the really annoying kids wouldn't be killed? (Which fortunately proved to be correct)

:lol: