What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I posted "not missing much" because I think it's true. These are not pieces of great art, but they pass the time pleasantly. They have very little to say (as do most films) but they say it with flair. I kind of meant "not missing much" as a backhanded compliment. Watch them, enjoy them, forget about them. I will see "MM:FR" and I will enjoy it, as much as I will enjoy my popcorn that I shall eat while watching it, but I fully expect to forget both within a very short space of time. Ho hum.

kat-dennings-thor-2-chris-hemsworth.jpg

Thor

Wanted to re-watch this before finally seeing Thor 2. I didn't remember too much about it, and it turns out even after two viewing its not a superbly memorable film.

The best parts of the film are definitely the earth scenes. There's really good funny moments of Thor trying to fit in (like him smashing the cup down, getting hit by Portman's car - twice, etc), a decent action scene of him fighting a big robot, and a bunch of cool SHIELD scene of them trying to figure out Thor's hammer. It's interesting again seeing Jasper Sitwell knowing he's Hydra now. But what I really enjoyed were the scientist team - Jane Foster, Darcy, and Selvig. I liked their little rag-tag setup, their conflict with SHIELD, and all the one-liners by Kat Dennings. She has good comedic timing.

What fairs less well for me is all the outer space and Asgard stuff. The battles there are just kinda CGI blobs fighting each other mostly, and I didn't care as much for the drama about Thor or Loki taking over the kingdom, then not, etc. Good cast though - I always enjoy seeing Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, and Idris Elba. Loki's back and forth allegiances are fairly amusing. I still don't understand why Whedon wanted him to be the main villain in his big Avengers movie, or why he's a super popular character in general.

Overall, I do enjoy the movie. Its light and fun and full of interesting characters (I didn't even mention Coulson, Hawkeye, Fury, and Sif). After seeing it, I hoped that with all the exposition and setup of this world out of the way, a sequel could be a fun adventure with Thor finally settling into life on Earth. That's a Thor movie I would like more.

I didn't mind Hawkeye's appearance here. He works for SHIELD, its logical he'd be there.

He basically plays the same role in The Avengers before he gets possessed.

A real gem, a small masterpiece.

Sadly the last Ghibli film... :(

So beautiful landscapes and backgrounds generally (i fell in love with the house Anna got to for vacation), a proof that handdrawn animation can still move, contrary to some people's beliefs who have given up and release only computer animation now) and a bittersweet Thomas-Newman-like - at times - score..

The story is moving and not at all what it seems from the trailer (there are contanst complaints about lesbian content from people who haven't seen the film. To tell you the truth, I was also surprised seeing the various trailers)

If you do see it, I'd suggest to pick the original Japanese language than the English dub.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - the first 2 MM movies 'ploughed their own furrow', but the influence of the likes of Star Wars (as Max stumbles through a desert landscape with the sun setting picturesquely, I half-expected to hear a plaintive John Williams piece backdropping it) and especially Indiana Jones is pretty evident in this. Doesn't stop it being an enjoyable adventure flick, though.

Just finished watching Journey to the Center of the Earth (the 1959 version, not the subpar 2008 version).

I had no idea that Bernard Hermann wrote the score for it. His music really captures the vastness of the Carlsbard Caverns they filmed in and the sense of danger that comes with exploring unknown territory.

I had no idea that Bernard Hermann wrote the score for it. His music really captures the vastness of the Carlsbard Caverns they filmed in and the sense of danger that comes with exploring unknown territory.

It's my favourite Herrmann. I want the complete score.

You could buy the TT Bluray which has the isolated score for starters.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Journey-to-the-Center-of-the-Earth-Blu-ray/120306/#Overview

Mine too. I fell in love with it by listening to the absolutely wonderful suite on this cd:

R-2368843-1279987638.jpeg.jpg

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - the first 2 MM movies 'ploughed their own furrow', but the influence of the likes of Star Wars (as Max stumbles through a desert landscape with the sun setting picturesquely, I half-expected to hear a plaintive John Williams piece backdropping it) and especially Indiana Jones is pretty evident in this. Doesn't stop it being an enjoyable adventure flick, though.

I liked it too, on my first viewing from a couple of months ago. Not dated, or cheesy or anything, a good enough adventure film with likeable characters. And thrilling action. Which is why we watch these, huh?

His friend and producer of the first 2 films died and Miller's heart wasnt really in it as much apparently. He shot all the action scenes, which are first rate, but the rest was done by someone else.

The new one is undiluted Miller, who's heart was very much in it.

When you see bokeh circles in Avengers: Age of Ultron, it means it was shot with spherical lenses, which have circular pupils. As a result, they would have needed to crop the image to 2.35:1 to similate wideness.

When you see bokeh ovals in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it means it was shot with anamorphic lenses, which have cylindrical glass and an oval pupil. No significant cropping needed at all - the image is fixed at 2.35:1 when it's unsqueezed.

Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

Mad Max

I'm seeing Fury Road tomorrow, so thought I'd watch this one as a refresher, it's been too long. I forgot how bad the music was, dates it terribly. Also the glaring fact that Max and Jesse are horrible parents. Everything else is top notch ultraviolet action, though. Hard to believe Mel Gibson was only 21 in this.

So why are ovals better?

They just have that intangible indication of higher production value. Like they went to the trouble of shooting the movie with this exotic glass that can create a wider field of view at a longer focal length.