What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I prefer the Tim Burton Batmans, The Rocketeer (you could argue this isn't a superhero movie, but I'd prefer it anyway), Batman: The Movie (1966) and Superman: The Movie/Superman II.

I dug that the Raimi Spider-Man movies didn't take themselves so seriously and had an appreciable amount of campiness, but they also had a pretty boring protagonist, forgettable music, terrible love interest and weak villains.

I actually prefer the Elfman's Spider-Man scores to his Batman scores, which were pretty dull apart from the main title music. I completely disagree with you about the villains! Doctor Ock is one of my favorite movie villains and Green Goblin isn't too bad either. I see why people hate Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane but I'm fine with her too.

I prefer my heroes to be insane, darker almost anti-heroes that murder, drive the greatest vehicle of all time and have a similarly mental love interest with big hair. And my villains to be Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, or a perverted Danny Devito spewing black goo from his mouth. :wub:

Bruce-Selina-Batman-Returns-bruce-wayne-

It looks and feels like a Batman movie. The Nolan flicks look generic and bland.

I love this film.

But... really?

Karol

Generation gap. It's like with Bond. Each generation was brought up with a different one.

It looks and feels like a Batman movie. The Nolan flicks look generic and bland.

I love this film.

But... really?

Karol

Generation gap. It's like with Bond. Each generation was brought up with a different one.

I was brought up with the Brozza flicks but I vastly prefer the Rog filums.

I love this film.

But... really?

Karol

I was brought up with the Brozza flicks but I vastly prefer the Rog filums.

... says the guy who was brought up with Burton Batman movies and who prefers them over Nolan Batman movies.

BTW, I'm talking about generations, not one individual.

Alexandre

It's a weird, Frankenstein monster of a movie. So many great things in it. So many lousy things. Watching is always a weird experience. Like banging miss Universe only to realize she has syphilis

I prefer my heroes to be insane, darker almost anti-heroes that murder, drive the greatest vehicle of all time and have a similarly mental love interest with big hair. And my villains to be Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, or a perverted Danny Devito spewing black goo from his mouth. :wub:

Bruce-Selina-Batman-Returns-bruce-wayne-

I hate that movie... you might as well have dubbed it Penguin & Catwoman for all the focus it has on Batman. My biggest beef with it is the fucking Penguin character, which was done better in the 1990s animated series. And then the over-the-top production design, a big insult to Anton Furst. And then there's that climax. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's penguins with rocket launchers. That belongs in a Roger Corman film, not a studio film like Batman Returns.

It looks and feels like a Tim Burton film, but it sure as hell ain't a Batman movie.

It looks and feels like a Tim Burton film, but it sure as hell ain't a Batman movie.

When I was a kid, I didn't know what a "Tim Burton movie" looked like. It just looked like a Batman movie to me.

I like how it's still the most polarising Batman movie ever made.

To a degree, I can see why Batman Returns is loved by some. Not a fan of the revamped Gotham city, but the camerawork is beautiful. And Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman is a fetishist's wet dream. The way Pfeiffer plays her begs for a better movie to put her in, she would tear it up with Jack Nicholson's Joker. Or even in Nolan's Batman movies.

But every time Danny DeVito's Penguin shows up, I gnash my teeth. And Walken annoys me too.

It's a weird, Frankenstein monster of a movie. So many great things in it. So many lousy things. Watching is always a weird experience. Like banging miss Universe only to realize she has syphilis

What movie are we talking about? lol

Nice review, definitely agree about Simmons and Teller, and that the economy of the whole thing is really impressive. No wasted moments and it has a ton of punch for such a small scale.

Though I will point out that this is actually Chazelle's second film. His debut was Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench, an interesting little film in its own right.

What movie are we talking about? lol

Batman Returns.

The Two Towers
Drags a little in the middle but the ending battle more than makes up for it. Gandalf's appearance at the end is one of my favorite "hell yeah!" moments in movies.

I'm fine with the extended edition of this one (Return of the King on the other hand...) if only for the inclusion of the wonderful Merry/Pippin food scene at the end.

I realize that penguins with rocket launchers is ridiculous, but it makes perfect sense in the context of the film.

Ehhh... don't really see it that way. If Burton wanted to do a homage to the 1960s TV series, then penguins with rocket launchers would've been right at home with, say, the anti-shark spray. But the tone of BR is inconsistent. It wants to be a sexed-up Gothic Christmas pseudo-fantasy with Batman in it, but the penguins just ruin it.

Well this isn't Batman, but I watched for the first time yesterday the biopic Erin Brockovich. I liked Thomas Newman's work on that film, and the film in general.

You may now continue discussing Batman :P

Watched Mulholland Drive, after many many years. It's still really engaging. My memory of it was pretty accurate.

Karol

Love that movie

Watched Mulholland Drive, after many many years. It's still really engaging. My memory of it was pretty accurate.

Karol

Love that movie

It is his best. Curious that it was developed as a pilot for television series and about the first 90 minutes was that and the rest was added later. It works very well indeed.

Karol - who needs to revisit Blue Velvet soon

I actually prefer Lynch when he is in his 'normal' mode. His zany movies strike me more and more as gimmicky.

vlcsnap-2013-12-25-21h13m53s125_zpsef2lv

Who is with me?!

Alex

Not for me!

Or me.

The penguins are fucking hilarious, and perfectly fit with the film's comic non sequitors. It's that strange mix of post-modern sleaze and camp pulpiness that makes the film so compelling.

It's my favourite Batman movie. What breaks it is the odd pace, not the penguins.

Not for me!

Or me.

The penguins are fucking hilarious, and perfectly fit with the film's comic non sequitors. It's that strange mix of post-modern sleaze and camp pulpiness that makes the film so compelling.

It's my favourite Batman movie. What breaks it is the odd pace, not the penguins.

And that it makes very little sense.

But then, all the other three are equally as dumb. Probably even more.

Batman Returns is much more clever film, though. It has an actual content, beyond its comic book origins. More adult at that. And some artistic direction. It might not have anything to do with the source material, true, but is a lot of fan. The silent film/German expressionism nods are really cool. And they go beyond Max Schreck name.

Karol - who loves occult symbolism references on Schreck's ball costume

Yeah, that was quite funny. And Ice Princess subplot. Some of the dialogue is really naughty. I don't know how they got past studios censors.

I love the political satire of Batman Returns. It's probably the best thing about it.

And yeah, Elfman at his best. That too.

Karol

The world of Batman Returns is a pretty awful place, where the majority of men are chauvinistic pigs and majority of women are just nitwits. It's very much a man's world filled with corporate greed and repression. It's not unrealistic, but it's not exactly subtle in its misanthropy. Bruce and Selina break away from the social norms and they're the weirdos. Aristocracy forges the "villains" in this film, who are really tragic characters. Socialite Pee-Wee and Simone cast out the deformed baby (analogy for intolerance/unacceptance), Max (the true villain of this film) literally pushes Selina over the edge. Bruce is the only person using his wealth for good, but even he's a flawed character. He kills numerous people and perhaps hypocritically attempts to pass judgement on Selina later in the film for attempting to kill Max, reminding her that the laws of their society in fact still apply to them. Of course, he could be trying to save her from becoming more like him, and you have to wonder just what sort of laws actually exist in such a place. This is a film with serious layers. Great flick. Great friggin' flick.

vlcsnap_2015_06_11_17h26m50s91.png

Plus, Batman KILLS PEOPLE! And it's AWESOME!

Those two are among his most normal. Mulholland Drive actually makes sense, more or less.

Karl

Hmm, it's widely considered to be one of his 'brainfuck' movies, crocs.

No, it's not. It actually makes complete sense. You just need to watch it carefully. Unlike The lost Highway and Inland Empire. Now, these are bonkers.

Karol

No, it's not.

Karol

You're the only one who thinks Mulholland Drive is considered to be a conventional movie like The Straight Story or The Elephant Man. The latter two use a straightforward narrative where you don't have figure things out to make sense out of it. Nobody puts Mulholland Drive in that category. Nobody, crocs.

pp-flagrum4-tm_zpsoynkas6t.jpg

You know what you have to do ...

Alex

The only thing I remember from Mulholland Dr. is how every time the movie starts to drag, Lynch throws a random lesbian sex scene at the viewer. Huh?