What was your last 'wall-to-wall' album?

Quintus

Your last great cd purchase you happily spun undisturbed from start to finish, had a tracklist with no filler, every single cue a pleasure to listen to, a cd which you thoroughly enjoyed playing in its entirety. Name it!

Mine was probably The Phantom Menace OST.

Most recently, probably Goldsmith's Chinatown. Prior to that, Williams's Black Sunday, Poledouris's The Blue Lagoon (I know, it's been around on CD since the early '90s, but I just picked it up in 2009), Rubinstein's WarGames, and Mancini's Wait Until Dark.

I am tempted to say Lincoln but since the CD has not yet arrived I will say The Long Goodbye. And something before that was the The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold Volume 2: The Sea Hawk.

1999's The Phantom Menace, Quint? Really?

Scott Fields has aptly described the score as "a collection of great moments bobbing like ripe apples in tepid cider," and I don't think the original album presentation makes much of a case for its palatability.

Scott Fields has aptly described the score as "a collection of great moments bobbing like ripe apples in tepid cider," and I don't think the original album presentation makes much of a case for its palatability.

Back then I was still a major Star Wars fanboy and drank eagerly at the Williams font, even if it wasn't the most refined nor smooth flavour in the brewery. Nowadays though I can't keep Star Wars prequel music down, too bitter and gives me wind.

Back then I was still a major Star Wars fanboy and drank eagerly at the Williams font, even if it wasn't the most refined nor smooth flavour in the brewery. Nowadays though I can't keep Star Wars prequel music down, too bitter and gives me wind.

Eloquently put.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that, Quint, but 1999 was a long time ago in terms of how many CDs you may have bought since then. Unless you just bought it last week, it seems a long time to go back for your "last 'wall-to-wall' album."

I'd have to think about this question. It's a good one and a bit of a toughie. I rarely listen to CDs before I rip them, mostly because I've had a CD player damage one that I really didn't want to have damaged, so I want to be sure the files that I archive and put onto my iPod aren't similarly scratched. So I would consider "play entire CD's worth of files in digital format" to be an equivalent action.

Except I have ADD when it comes to music. I'll listen to a few tracks, then get bored and switch to something else. Even if it's a truly wonderful album like the Star Wars soundtrack or The Beatles' White Album, I'll get bored a few songs in or feel compelled to skip a track I don't like (Honey Pie, Wild Honey Pie, Spoiled Honey Pie, Paul Spat in the Honey Pie, and Revolution 9), or -- and this is what I feel the most often -- I'll feel guilty about listening to something that I've owned for years instead of one of my newer purchases that requires a justified listening, so I'll switch to one of those albums, but still get bored and flip over to something else entirely.

I'll have to think about it.

My last wall to wall. That I enjoyed regularly wall to wall: lotr, all.

I'll have to think about a pop wall to wall and something more recent

Truthfully, the last one I bought that I listened from beginning to end with little to no skipping was Debbie Wiseman's Arsene Lupin (I only skip the opening song) and Patrick Doyle's Man to Man. Even the more recent albums I love, I end up skipping a few tracks here and there.

Haven't really thought about this before, but publicist's choice of Mansell's The Fountain would go on my list too.

Cave and Ellis' The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford is another. I don't skip tracks when I listen to a score, so I'm going by scores that I love every track.

Star Trek V and The Shadow... I agree! I also add Batman Returns (complete). Not many people would agree, though.

Karol

No, I love LLL's release of Batman Returns. There was a stretch when I first bought it several months ago where that was about all I would listen to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the idea of a "wall-to-wall" listen of a two-disc "complete + OST" presentation like Star Trek V, The Shadow, or Batman Returns mean you listened to both CDs back-to-back?

If so, good job. I can't do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the idea of a "wall-to-wall" listen of a two-disc "complete + OST" presentation like Star Trek V, The Shadow, or Batman Returns mean you listened to both CDs back-to-back?

I would say I usually listen to both CDs through initially but afterwards skip the OST presentation on disc 2 and listen to the alternates etc. on that disc.

I typically move the alternates and source music ahead of the OST to be tacked onto the end of the complete score presentation, and then make the OST its own album. That way, I don't have to listen through the OST or tap forward to get to the extras, which I've invariably listened to a lot less than the OST.

I wouldn't know. I don't have much free time. But I think it'd be The Lord of the Rings Symphony.

The CD really irks me. I think the LotR symphony is something you'd truly appreciate and be stunned by when heard live. But on CD, it sounds like a bunch of cues patched together (which it pretty much is) and not to mention the performance errors aren't very pretty either. I'd rather just stick to the originals.

I would say I usually listen to both CDs through initially but afterwards skip the OST presentation on disc 2 and listen to the alternates etc. on that disc.

the alternates are in the OST Section!!

Well I thought I stated that quite clearly above. I listen to the actual chronological film score (most often complete on disc 1), then listen to the second disc, but only for the alternates and other materials and I tend to skip the OST presentation if it does not contain anything unique missing from the complete score.

Well I thought I stated that quite clearly above. I listen to the actual chronological film score (most often complete on disc 1), then listen to the second disc, but only for the alternates and other materials and I tend to skip the OST presentation if it does not contain anything unique missing from the complete score.

So you're saying you just ignore the alternate music on the second disc?!!