Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary OST (Digital only release)

Sharkissimo

How honored JW must be to be mentioned in the same post as Molly Ringwald and Stone Sour :P

Great news!

Now only if they released JP and TLW in complete form someday. :)

Does anybody know if all files on HDTracks.com are available world-wide?

From what I have read, you have the options of downloading the music files for sale there as WAV, FLAC, AIFF, or ALAC. Pretty cool!

Since the Amazon release date is also tomorrow, I wonder if Apple screwed up by releasing it early two weeks ago? Or if they paid extra to have 2 weeks of exclusive rights?

I have no idea how much it will be.

Browsing the site a bit, they have one other John Williams OST - the Cowboys OST is $11.98

They also have a Williams-related City of Prague Compilation album for $11.98

Michael Jackson's Thriller is $17.98 in 88khz/24bit, or $24.98 in 176khz/24 bit.

So who knows

They also sell The Hobbit SE for the reasonable price of $21 and The Dark Knight Rises at a ridiculous $25 (more than twice the initial cost of the CD). In both cases, individual tracks are $2.98. A premium price for FLAC I spose.

It will likely be cheaper during the first week it's on sale than it will be after that, too

Great news everyone!! HDTracks will have this for sale tomorrow! FINALLY, a lossless download will be available! I think their files are all available world-wide as well?

That *is* good news.

The same quality as CDs (or higher).

mp3s, and the format Apple sells, are lossy formats, meaning in order to keep the file size down, they removed parts of the audio. Some people can hear the difference, some can't.

With a lossless format, the file size is still smaller than a raw WAV file, but there is no loss in quality at all.

Definitely am excited they are indeed releasing it in lossless format. :D Still not the CD release it deserves, but the closest we'll get. Who knows? Maybe it'll still happen. :)

That quote of course is in reference to the consequences of a site like that (including all the rest like iTunes) only offering their downloads within the United States and other regions. What is the real purpose? Do they realize they could make more money releasing it to EVERYONE at the same time, and that it just aggravates the fans of the material? I'm not even affected here (I live in the U.S.), but I have been through this sort of thing before with films not being released in my region and other things like that. It's incredibly frustrating not knowing WHEN or even IF you will be able to buy such desired item, when many other people are able to.

Just tried to subscribe to HDtracks: "For the time being, HDtracks only sells to U.S. Residents"

I was able to register last night with no problems (and I'm not in the US).

Whether I'll be able to buy the album is another matter.

I can't find it either and I'm in the US.

I wonder when they put their new releases up for sale?

As of right now, this album is still not up for sale on HDTracks for me. I just realized that their Facebook post yesterday said it was going on sale "this week" and not "tomorrow", so who knows when it will actually go up.

And everyone, I'm sure it will be available for sale outside of North America eventually, no question. Everybody likes making money, including Universal. There's no way they are planning on selling this to only North American consumers.

The album is now available on HDTracks. The 96kHz/24bit version costs $17.98 and the 192kHz/24bit version costs $24.98. Now that the amazon mp3s are up as well, we can confirm that all three retailers are selling the four bonus tracks as album only purchases.

So how much better really is the first one to warrant such a price increase? Just wondering.

Maybe because it is available in lossless format?

amh1219 and Turbo thanks for the notifications! :)

No, I mean there are two lossless formats here. Is the differences in sound between the two that much greater?

Oh my bad. BloodBoal is correct most people shouldn't be able to tell the difference, I can't.

Hmmm... quite a pickle then. However, either way, if you listen to the sound clips, the unreleased tracks do seem to sound MUCH better than they did on iTunes, at least that is my first impression. Can't wait! Now just gotta decide which one...

Hmmm... quite a pickle then. However, either way, if you listen to the sound clips, the unreleased tracks do seem to sound MUCH better than they did on iTunes, at least that is my first impression. Can't wait! Now just gotta decide which one...

Remember that the iTunes version is AAC 256k. Genuine lossless tracks will sound better than 256k files.

Great that we get the lossless release. In my opinion the new (Edit: Itunes) mix sadly is not as good as the original soundtrack mix.

The power/oomph in certain tracks is reduced due to the overall increase in loudness while still employing some digital equalization resulting in a limited dynamic range. This can be heard with good audio equipment/ good headphones. There were some examples posted in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

I for one noticed it by comparing the first statements of the Island Theme in "Journey to the Island" at 1:20. To do that you need to reduce the overall volume of the new mix to OST volume levels and compare both moments. The new mix has a bit more deep bass but lacks clarity and oopmh/power in the percussion and cymbal hits. Also there is less of a volume increase between the former part of the track and the big Island Theme statement.

That means the new mix has increased the overall volume and also increased the volume of the part till 1:20 but the Island Theme part is now less prominent cause of the louder lead in.

I would recommend using only the OST mix if possible for best audio quality. Just add some bass on your sound systems equalizer and increase the volume a notch. For a good edit the three out of the four unreleased tracks have to be reduced in volume (via an editing program like Sound Forge) to match the OST mix. The Stalling Around track already has volume levels on par with the OST.