Star Trek Into Darkness SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

It didn't bother me they looked somewhat different. Loved their helmets. Their little ship was ugly as hell.

I want Star Trek back on TV. I don't want this alternative version back on TV. I want the next Star Trek tv to take place after the events of Voyager and Deep Space Nine. I want a new adversary. One that isn't all powerful like the Borg but superior in numbers. I still want the Cardassians, Romulans, and Klingons present and I want to see more of the Breen. Lots more.

i second this regarding Trek being back on TV! I watched an interview with someone....I think someone who worked in the Trek TV series and that person said Trek had done a lot better on TV and it's true.

I too would love a new show with the time period Joe described. The events after the Dominion war....seeing what happens if the Federation eventually tries to form an alliance since Odo cured his people...etc...

Regarding the Klingon ship designs....ya I forgot to mention that. Those to are ugly as hell.

You guys are way too picky. It stil looks like Star Trek. The designs are no more bland than any previous Trek.

What did you guys think of the look of future Earth? Or at least, future San Francisco and future London.

I loved it, mixed in a bit of future and current. Loved the cable cars in San Fran. Loved the hospital design in London.

You guys are way too picky. It stil looks like Star Trek. The designs are no more bland than any previous Trek.

No we're not,

aesthetically it was ugly, that may be by design, who knows but one thing is clear Klingon vessels in the past were anything but ugly. They we weird, but not ugly, the original Klingon Battle Cruiser (first seen as a Romulan vessel) is every bit as beautiful as the Enterprise.

As far as future earth I liked it. It makes no sense not to have cars in the future. While the idea of instant arrival is sometimes appealing, traveling is still a exciting time. London and San Francisco looked like Gene Roddenberry would have hoped.

I'm not even a Trek fan (I've only seen J.J.'s films) and I thought there were a lot of bland designs.

I liked future Earth though.

Did anyone else have AOTC Coruscant chase flashbacks in the final fight on the air car?

And why did they re-freeze Khan instead of making him stand trial? I might have missed it, but where are they keeping Khan and his people? Are they to be launched back into space on the Botany Bay?

Did anyone else have AOTC Coruscant chase flashbacks in the final fight on the air car?

The car bit reminded me a bit of c3po in the conveyor belt

And why did they re-freeze Khan instead of making him stand trial?

Who said their wasn't a trial before he was frozen?

Anyway, they clerly kept him alive so he could be the villain again in Star Trek 3 :P

I get him wanting to let the film unfold without a lot of advanced knowledge, but he should've just said something to the effect of, "I don't want to say what's going on one way or the other [Delorean90 note: this should also include not saying if there's a canon villain or not], because I don't want to contribute to a pre-reveal. Go see the damn movie if you want to know anything beyond the basic premise."

Also, take this with a grain of salt, because IMDB is the only source I have at the moment, but supposedly they were trying to figure out initially whether the crew faces another villain, or if it would deal more with space/nature/the unknown. With the five-year mission set up, I strongly suspect the next film would be more along the latter lines, and automatically put us in a more specifically Trek realm. Let's hope they don't just turn it into Avatar.

The way I see it, here were your three options:

1. You suspected it was Khan, and you knew they would pull your leg to protect their silly Mystery Box secret.

2. You didn't care to begin with.

3. You suspected it was Khan and then naively believed JJ and co. Now you're pissed.

I picked 4. I couldn't believe they would go back to Khan--on the second film of this iteration, no less!--and thought it must be John Harrison or someone NOT KHAN but then started hearing the notion enough that when it turned out to be Khan I was kind of okay with it because it seemed like they were doing something different with him and at first it was and then he ended up just being an asshole and they didn't even give him a real payoff with the family issue and even though I liked the movie I'm kinda starting to get pissed NOW because there seems to be some real missed opportunities.

WHEW

EDIT: OH MY GOD, HOW DID THIS NOT HAPPEN? I'm reading Harry's review on AICN, and he pointed out that when Spock melds with Khan, it shouldn't just be a transfer of pain; Khan should realize that his crew is okay. Man, that would've been so much better. Damn.

That would be cool.

But that would require Damon Lindelof and JJ Abrams know how to end a story effectively.

They are both in the top 90% of the craft when it comes to the beginning and middles, the first acts and second acts. Third acts they both drop the writing and directorial balls.

Apprently there's debate as to whether or not Praxis was already destroyed in timeline.

When Kirk and co approach Kronos, you can see what appears to be a chunk of a planet broken up orbiting.

Also, I wandor if the helmsman (lady) who took Chekov's place was Deltan? ;)

I can see Praxis exploding earlier. That makes logical sense. Consider the Starfleet response to Nero. Super-duper-torpedos and giant ship. Now imagine a warrior race's response to having their fleet obliterated by Nero (in the first film). They would overmine Praxis to rebuild their fleet stronger. Environmental disasters of the Praxis variety are ticking time bombs, it's completely conceivable overmining at a rapid pace would fast-track a disaster.

I approve. And I loved the shot in the movie, absolutely gorgeous.

Well Khan basically admitted everything leading up to the events of Into Darkness were a result of Nero.

Apprently there's debate as to whether or not Praxis was already destroyed in timeline.

When Kirk and co approach Kronos, you can see what appears to be a chunk of a planet broken up orbiting.

Also, I wandor if the helmsman (lady) who took Chekov's place was Deltan? ;)

I don't know if she's a deltan but on Law and Order SVU she played a transgendered murderer who killed a transgender youth's father who was not accepting of his son/daughter choice.

Saw the movie. Liked it, thought it could have been a bit grander and varied. Really enjoyed the prologue, but then after that the whole thing takes place in two locations in like one day. It feels like a TV episode, which is probably a good thing for most of you. I've never seen anything Trek besides Abrams' films.

I didn't consider that broken up planet around Kronos to be Praxis, interesting thoughts on that guys! I can accept that for sure.

BTW regarding the Klingon ships they instantly reminded me of ships we see at the beginning of the 1998 movie Lost In Space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXghOvuvl4

Skip to 1:12 into the clip and you'll see what I mean. It's almost a rip off of the design.

Saw the movie. Liked it, thought it could have been a bit grander and varied. Really enjoyed the prologue, but then after that the whole thing takes place in two locations in like one day. It feels like a TV episode, which is probably a good thing for most of you. I've never seen anything Trek besides Abrams' films.

then you have not really seen Star Trek.

yea, I pointed that out earlier..... other than the opening prologue and the ONE scene on Kronos, the ENTIRE movie takes place on Starfleet ships or on Earth.

I hope the next film has more variety to offer

I didn't consider that broken up planet around Kronos to be Praxis, interesting thoughts on that guys! I can accept that for sure.

BTW regarding the Klingon ships they instantly reminded me of ships we see at the beginning of the 1998 movie Lost In Space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXghOvuvl4

Skip to 1:12 into the clip and you'll see what I mean. It's almost a rip off of the design.

As soon as I saw that I thought it's probably Praxis, or perhaps Q'uonos has been attacked by the ship in Oblivion.

then you have not really seen Star Trek.

Just giving some insight to my opinion.

you should check Star Trek out, it's only lived for nearly 50 years and has hundreds and hundreds of hours of viewing availability, not to mention other forms of media.

Star Trek 2->4 is a fun little trilogy and easily enjoyed by anyone who hasn't seen anything else Star Trek

The scores for 1-3, 5 and 8 are all pretty awesome

You still should check out certain episodes.

Star Trek: The Corbomite Maneuver, The Menagerie, Balance of Terror, Space Seed, Errand of Mercy, City on the Edge of Forever(one of TV's greatest single episodes of all time), Mirror Mirror, The Doomsday Machine, Immunity Syndrome, The Enterprise Incident, Paradise Syndrome, Day of the Dove, Tholian Web, Elaan of Troyius, Requiem for Methuselah.

Star Trek the Next Generation: so many...Measure of a Man, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds 1&2, Inner Light, All Good Things. and so many more

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: again so many great ones. Melora, The Maquis, The Jem Hadar, The Abandoned, Defiant, Way of the Warrior, Little Green Men, Empok Nor, Valient, Dogs of War, What you Leave Behind.

Lots of good stuff in Voyager and Enterprise too. Enterprise ends with what is really a Next Generation Episode.

You still should check out certain episodes.

Star Trek: The Corbomite Maneuver, The Menagerie, Balance of Terror, Space Seed, Errand of Mercy, City on the Edge of Forever(one of TV's greatest single episodes of all time), Mirror Mirror, The Doomsday Machine, Immunity Syndrome, The Enterprise Incident, Paradise Syndrome, Day of the Dove, Tholian Web, Elaan of Troyius, Requiem for Methuselah.

Star Trek the Next Generation: so many...Measure of a Man, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds 1&2, Inner Light, All Good Things. and so many more

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: again so many great ones. Melora, The Maquis, The Jem Hadar, The Abandoned, Defiant, Way of the Warrior, Little Green Men, Empok Nor, Valient, Dogs of War, What you Leave Behind.

Lots of good stuff in Voyager and Enterprise too. Enterprise ends with what is really a Next Generation Episode.

Joey, I noticed you mentioned your desire to have Trek back on TV in the original universe. I agree. That's where it belongs.

I read somewhere the other day that CBS owns the rights to the TV shows and any future shows as well as all merchandising of those properties . Only Paramount owns the movie rights of these new movies. Which is why there wasn't more merchandise for 2009, because CBS was still producing products of the original cast. Paramount wanted them to stop it so they don't "confuse" people, but paramount wouldn't meet CBS' demands. Which I say, good for them.

So basically CBS can create a new show anytime they want. Considering all the money they are spending to update the old shows, I'm surprised that one isn't being put on the air anytime soon.

Sent from Tapatalk

Me too.

It had so much to like and so, so much to dislike.

Score and cast are both great, though.

Me too.

It had so much to like and so, so much to dislike.

Score and cast are both great, though.

In either case, if his Star Wars is anything like it then I'll be happy. That universe doesn't need as much... logic.

Karol

Plus they'll be free to make their own villain instead of re-using one from from 31 (46) years ago

Plus they'll be free to make their own villain instead of re-using from from 31 (46) years ago

Let's hope not. There could always be a cloned emperor or Vader. Established in the EU comics and books.

Sent from Tapatalk

In either case, if his Star Wars is anything like it then I'll be happy. That universe doesn't need as much... logic.

What? You haven't seen the prequels or what? You're seriously tempting fate there.