Bob Hoskins has died

Quintus

A very warm actor, who could turn on the intensity and danger on a whim.

Indeed.

The Long Good Friday remains the best British gangster film ever made. Often imitated, never bettered. Harold Shand appearing on screen to this music...one of THE great film entrances:

He made a great Iago also in a BBC adaptation. Tremendous actor. RIP Bob.

There goes another great actor from the world.

I also remember him from Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Hook.

He will be missed.

A very warm actor, who could turn on the intensity and danger on a whim.

Yes, I was just watching his Pennies From Heaven mini-series a couple weeks ago and he was a great creep, but one who was always teetering on the edge of a certain naivete. Wonderful balancing act.

RIP

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/apr/30/bob-hoskins-dies-felicitys-journey-mona-lisa

Bob Hoskins: forget Mona Lisa, Felicia's Journey was his masterpiece

Bob Hoskins' appeal lay in a chirpiness forever on the edge of explosion. Yet his most powerful hour came playing a man with genuinely unsettling intent beneath that cuddly exterior

[...]

In 1999, his moment arrived. His best performance, in my view, was as Joe Hilditch in Atom Egoyan's Felicia's Journey — a role with all the emotional force, unsentimentality and power to disturb that Hoskins showed in Dennis Potter's work for the small screen. The film is adapted from a novel by William Trevor, and Hoskins plays Joseph, a decaying bachelor who lives in a big, musty, fusty house in Birmingham: he owes his income and this place to his mother, a telly chef from the Fanny Cradock age. Joseph befriends a young runaway, Felicia (Elaine Cassidy), a 17-year-old girl who has come to the city from Ireland. With subtle intensity, Hoskins shows how Joseph is part predator, part victim: he does not have overt designs on young Felicia, but clearly wants something from her, something that he cannot explain to her, to us or to himself. His stare is deeply unsettling: is it malevolent? Is it indicative of a man in pain, in need of someone to confess to, or a man taking a good long look at a world with which he has become entirely disgusted? Egoyan was the right director for Hoskins — not requiring from him sentimental comedy or trad gangsterism, but something more, something opaque and complex.

Bob-Hoskins-in-Felicias-J-008.jpg
A 'deeply unsettling stare' … Bob Hoskins in Felicia's Journey

Here's a before-and-after animation composite for Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

World class make-believe, right here.

Agreed. Bob Hoskins and cast did a good job when it came to 'screen time' with the animated characters.

I never saw a performance from him that I didn't like. Great character actor. Like a lot of people my age he'll be most immortalized for Roger Rabbit and Hook.

He'll always be my favorite Mr. Smee.

Will always remember him from Roger Rabbit and Hook, and unfortunately Super Mario Bros. Its a pretty terrible movie, but was oft watched when I was younger so its probably the first image of him my mind goes to. I'm going to have to watch Mona Lisa and The Long Good Friday soon to try and rectify that.

Ya Super Mario Bros. definitely was a horrible movie. Hell, I grew up watching the original cartoon show and played the original NES game for hours....the movie though made me cringe big time.