Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2016 at 0:38 AM, mstrox said:

I much preferred the branding of the "Star Wars Anthology" subtitle it was originally given.  In the end, the movie will be the same.

But will general audiences know what "anthology" means?

13 hours ago, Drax said:

But will general audiences know what "anthology" means?

If the reason Lucasfilm changed "Anthology" to "Story" is because they thought the audience was too dumb, I'm dying.  I'm dead.  I'm dead now.

My guess is that "Anthology" reads too much like it's unconnected to the Star Wars universe - sort of how a horror anthology show has little to no throughline between episodes.  I like the "Story" wording in a way, because it works well with the fairy tale-esque "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."  If Lucasfilm had figured out their branding before they announced it, there would be no issue for me - but they gave me options.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap!  That looks great!

And yes Mon Mothma looks like 1983 Mon Mothma, wow!

No Mads yet :(

No Riz Ahmed that I could see either. I'm kind of hoping he has a substantial role. After being super impressed with his work in Nightcrawler I want him to become a staple character actor.

I'm sure it's just a new actress that looks like her. It's probably a small role anyway.

A cameo role near the end, like Tarkin.  She apparently had lines at one point but the scenes were cut.

This is on the Mon Mothma page on Wookieepedia, but there's no source footnote so take it with a grain of salt:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mon_Mothma#Development_and_portrayal

Capture.PNG

Looks nice. It's kind of WW2, Dirty Dozen-like story set in the SW universe.

I'm very curious to hear how Desplat will handle the score. It would be very nice if he'd go for the stark action writing style of the original film (which referred quite a bit to the scores of WW2 films), using some of its thematic material like the Imperial theme and the Death Star motif (even though I suspect he'll be asked to use the Imperial March a lot).

Looks really, really good. Exactly what I expected actually, something that looks like the Star Wars universe but is liberated of the mostly conservative approach in the Episodic films. Handheld, desaturated and gritty!

Mon Mothma is a pleasant surprise; looks almost exactly like the actress from ROTS so that's a cool little continuity if so. McDiarmid, Earl Jones and Anthony Daniels cameos wouldn't be too out of place here (well, maybe Daniels).

I'm sure The Imperial March will be used for scenes with Vader in it and maybe some other stuff.  But it would be cooler if they used Williams' '77 Imperial Theme instead.  I wonder if they'll use the little 4-note Death Star motif from '77 in the score.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Interesting to hear another trailer using The Force Theme. Since it certainly isn't as well known as the SW main theme.

Makes sense to me; Luke's got nothing to do with this story. He's still a farm boy on Tatooine at this stage.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the Force Theme will be the connective tissue which links all Star Wars films, Anthology and Episode alike, regardless of composer.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the Force Theme will be the connective tissue which links all Star Wars films, Anthology and Episode alike, regardless of composer.

Would you say it's the music that binds these movies together? Surrounds them? Penetrates them?

Oh yeah, what's with the siren at the end? I realise it's meant to be the Death Star docking alarm as heard in IV and VI, but it comes across as a poor imitation of the Prometheus trailers (and their excellent repurpose of sound effects from the original Alien trailer).

Royal Imperial Guards, too! C'mon Palpy, time for a cameo!

Would make McDiarmid the second actor to appear in a Star Wars film at least once every decade since the 80's.