Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Desplat's Godzilla alone is more than enough proof for me that he can write substantial music.  He probably had his hands firmly tied with the Potters.

10 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Oddly enough, I didn't have a good time watching it.

Why is that odd?  Everyone has their own opinions about everything.

Just now, Drax said:

Much like the word "ironic", people just like saying "odd" or "oddly" a lot.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles, when all is said and done.  It's just different strokes for different folks, and you can take it or leave it.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Why is that odd?  Everyone has their own opinions about everything.

The 'oddly enough' was in relation to your comment about no one in the film having a good time. Just me being facetious.

5 minutes ago, Drax said:

Much like the word "ironic", people just like saying "odd" or "oddly" a lot.

You mean it's no longer odd to say 'odd' or 'oddly'? How odd!

12 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

That's just the way the cookie crumbles, when all is said and done.  It's just different strokes for different folks, and you can take it or leave it.

They say at the end of the day, we'll be moving forward into the calm before the storm, in the wake of my gut wrenching pain.

9 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

That is quite "hard boiled" for you.

23 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Desplat's Godzilla alone is more than enough proof for me that he can write substantial music.

This.  I had no real substantial opinion about Desplat before I heard Godzilla.

Desplat had a great 2014.  Godzilla, Monoments Men, and Grand Budapest Hotel were all excellent.

I think most fans of John Williams blockbuster scores will like the Monuments Men score.

It's really interesting how McQuarrie's initial designs still look great on film almost 40 years later. They really don't feel dated or out of place IMO. I feel like even if you look at them objectively, you wouldn't think "wow, that looks straight out of the 70s." I suppose part of this could be contributed to how Star Wars itself has stayed in the public consciousness during those 40 years, but still.

I thought the Godzilla main titles were pretty good, but the rest of the score wasn't anything special.

(based on as-heard in the movie, I didn't buy it).  I only own the Harry Potter scores, the Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Firewall - none of which get much of a relisten.

I've liked his Wes Anderson scores, but he hasn't impressed me on-film or on-disc in any way that encourages me for Star Wars.

Edwards has demonstrated in just one film that he can create powerfully majestic images, held together with an editing style that's calmer than the hyper stylised cutting that modern audiences have become accustomed to, allowing you to more efficiently absorb the images and follow the story.

Godzilla was the anti-Transformers.

12 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Looking pretty good ... 'inbetween' SW movies to break up the wait between new instalments of the main trilogy is a nice idea. 

I agree

2 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

I wonder if Desplat will use the LSO

I am pretty sure he is.

It is well known that the LSO is *far* more versatile than your common LA orchestra. After the appalling job they did on TFA, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Star Wars again ?

4 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

It is well known that the LSO is *far* more versatile than your common LA orchestra. After the appalling job they did on TFA, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Star Wars again ?

Are you sure you shouldn't blame mastering/mixing/whatever department for the sound of the soundtrack? Because performance-wise it's top notch...

Just now, zaddini said:

Are you sure you shouldn't blame mastering/mixing/whatever department for the sound of the soundtrack? Because performance-wise it's top notch...

Haha I was being sarcastic. The quality of TFA is really good. It does sound different but not in a bad way

Quite liked it, quite excited to boot. Confess to being chuffed at seeing Mon Mothma (without looking, actress seems quite similar to the one playing Mothma in the Episode III deleted scenes) but also the Yavin 4 set, the old uniforms etc. Feels a lived in universe now -seeing AT-AT's in action elsewhere, the Death Star...and the music in the trailer -quite liked the marrying of the theme with that of the Imperial theme.

31 minutes ago, Strangways said:

Quite liked it, quite excited to boot. Confess to being chuffed at seeing Mon Mothma (without looking, actress seems quite similar to the one playing Mothma in the Episode III deleted scenes)

That's because it's the same person, as previously discussed.

Here is the deleted scene with an 10 year younger O'Reilly as Mothma in REVENGE OF THE SITH (go to 7:27):

I'm glad they kept the same actress.

The film looks interesting :)

But they could still have used part of the original story....

Anyway... this 'rogue one' character has to die sending, via transmission, the death star plans to princess leia's Tantive IV blockade runner. And in honor for ther martyrdom, they name the best x-wing squadron after her.

The tricky thing is that "rogue squadron" was created after the battle of Yavin...it was Red squadron before that...

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's because it's the same person, as previously discussed.

Here is the deleted scene with an 10 year younger O'Reilly as Mothma in REVENGE OF THE SITH (go to 7:27):

sorry, I hadn't read the thread in weeks so didn't know. Did however after posting and checking IMDB ha

OK what is that sith like dark robed person in the trailer?

I hope they take the opportunity to use vader as the main antagonist and not use just a lame "Inquisitor"

6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

OK what is that sith like dark robed person in the trailer?

Some new bad guy, like the dude in white in the trailer

Azc6Jfr.jpg

I'm happy with the overall vibe the trailer gave out. Plenty of original trilogy imagery, but with a new, smaller story. Finally we can have a breather from all of this 'destiny' plots and have a Star Wars story that is about ordinary good folk against ordinary evil folk, as opposed to the Episodes, which have the grander scale in mind with the all-powerful prophecy fulfilling good guys against the all-powerful prophecy fulfilling bad guys. 

As for Desplat's Score; we know he can write hypnotic and beautifully flowing melodies, but as for the action; plenty of this will do nicely -

1:08 - 1:51 is as close to Williams as is required, and 3:12 - 3:19 is the epitome of 'the Star Wars sound' that makes him perfect for Rogue One. 

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Some new bad guy, like the dude in white in the trailer

Azc6Jfr.jpg

I dont mind the supposed white dressed Imperial Admiral. There should be several in the navy. On the other hand, that sith like thing can mean that we may just get a glimpse of darth vader at the beginning or end of the film... or just as a holotransmission. Which is sad.

They dont want jedi in this film, well, so dont create new dark side users for the film, use just vader.

27 minutes ago, Romão said:

Yeah, and the soft piano at the beggining really are annoying in trailers nowadays

That too. I cringed. Not as bad as the Ghostbusters trailer, though.

There are enough sterile hallways in the trailer to fill a space freighter. 

The sight of that massive shadow over the classic Star Destroyers as the turbolaser is slipped into place..... Squee! 

28 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

There's something cool looking about AT-ATs storming a tropical beachside. Alex will hate it.

They did that in Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II video game, which is what this trailer made me think of. Video games. It's Battlefront the movie.

3 hours ago, Sharky said:

I like the look and feel of it, but the performances seem weak. I expected better from Felicity Jones.

She seems pretty solid so far. She's not Leia or Rey, she's more street-smart and determined.

I liked her "Yes, sir" line delivery. You can tell she wants to tell her superior to piss off.

I am all for telling these "smaller" stories in the SW universe in tandem with the usual grander "light VS dark" family soap opera of the Episodes VII-IX. This gives the creative teams a chance to hopefully do some of their own unique stuff instead of retreading the hero's journey. The trailer looked intriguing and such smaller stories in galaxy far far away are full of possibilities.