Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

15 hours ago, Drax said:

Emmerich will choose Kloser und Wanker again... uh, oh right.

Kathleen calls the shots!

Exactly.  People seem to be forgetting that Kennedy publicly announced Williams involvement for the ENTIRE trilogy over two years ago.  Plus, I believe Abrams is a producer and he would no doubt push for Williams return.  If Williams doesn't score Episode VIII, then it's because he doesn't want to. However, it seems obvious Williams isn't retiring, yet.  

Was there any doubt Williams would score TPM, AOTC and ROTS?  Or were those announcements made very early on?

I don't remember about announcements and such from back then, but during that time Williams was still a prolific working film composer doing 2-4 films a year every year for a variety of directors.

Since 2000 Williams has only scored films for Spielberg, Star Wars and Harry Potter with rare exceptions when he liked the books (Memoirs and Book Thief), so everything's different now than it was then.  Add to the fact that he's 83, has a pacemaker, etc, the fact that he didn't score Spielberg's latest, etc means each new film is always a question until the pencil has begun moving.

On 12/28/2015 at 4:12 PM, Jay said:

You know, I was just thinking "maybe Disney will move Episode 8 to December 2017, since Episode 7 is doing so well in December of this year).  But then I remembered that Cameron has Avatar 2 slotted for December 2017, so they'd be competing for IMAX space.

There's one factor that could delay Avatar 2... co-star Zoe Saldana. The next film on her platter is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, which starts up in two months. Then she'll film the Avatar sequels, which I doubt will make the December '17 date. I don't care how quick and time-efficient Cameron is, you can't film three films back-to-back in several months. (Plus she'll need to do promotional duties for Star Trek Beyond too.)

If Fox can't make the December 2017 date for Avatar 2, I'm willing to bet Disney will move Episode VIII to that date. Forget the 40th anniversary of the original film, Disney will make December into Star Wars month. When you have a movie like TFA making THAT much money at the end of the year, might as well keep that weekend and hope it pays off for subsequent years.

Wasn't she signed up for the Avatar sequels before anything else?

Dont actors usually have to adjust their schedules to projects that they are already contracted for?

So if a shooting schedule was planned and agrees upon on the Avatar films beforehand then anything she signed up for after would have to be done outside that schedule.

who is Rian Johnson? what has he directed that he lands such a top job. 

omg this idiot directed Looper, one of the worst movies of this decade. and he's done nothing in 5 years. jeez, this does not bode well.

and to his idiot parents, it's spelled Ryan 

On 29.12.2015 at 11:44 AM, BloodBoal said:

Was just wondering about something today: do people think Ren will keep his helmet in Episode VIII (and possibly IX), now that they have revealed his face in Episode VII?

Technically, there should be no reason in-film for the character to abandon it (he's still a Vader fanboy at the end of the film, and I'm guessing most (all?) First Order members don't know what he looks like beneath the helmet, so he'd want to keep it), but the filmmaking crew may think: "OK, now that the cat is out of the bag, there's no need to keep the helmet".

I'd personally prefer for him to keep it, as he looks more menacing with it (even if the mystery surrounding him is now gone), but I'm not convinced he will.

Didn't Kylo drop his helmet when he was facing Han?

He was certainly not wearing it during the final battle and - looking at all the doomsday action around him - I doubt there was time left to pick it up before fleeing the planet. So maybe we're up for an updated mask in EP VIII.

Just confirming that yes, Kylo Ren drops his helmet on the bridge and never picks it back up. So we will either be seeing a new helmet or no helmet in the next film. I'm hoping for the former, preferably with the same fantastic design.

I really wonder why they didn't wait to unmask him till the bridge scene. I almost wonder if that was the original intent but they found that Rey's interrogation scene didn't work without his face visible.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

Who is to say a lacky didn't pick it up for him before the planet exploded?

Well Chewie pretty much blew the hell out of that place....

But Ofcourse Ren is gonna have more helmets. The First Order must have 3D printers!

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Who says there is only one helmet?

Karol

Just the Tuesday helmet was destroyed, then? That's going to throw a monkey hydrospanner into the cleaning schedule...

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He loses the helmet and now uses the melted Vader helmet. It is the only way!

That would be a cool way to go. Like if Luke faces up to Ren and he's wearing Vader's mask. 

I sincerely hope they don't give Rey any romance stories. Of course romance (if done well) doesn't weaken a female character, but I can't be bothered with yet another female lead that instead of focusing on her power, her history and her future, they just stick her in a love triangle or couple.

"May the force be with you, my Rey of sunshine." 

"No, may the force be with you."

"No, you hang up first."

"No, you hang up first."

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I sincerely hope they don't give Rey any romance stories. Of course romance (if done well) doesn't weaken a female character,

but atleast she wont be a mary-sue anymore.  lolz amiright?  

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I sincerely hope they don't give Rey any romance stories. Of course romance (if done well) doesn't weaken a female character,

This is precisely why I wouldn't want romance stories with Rey. The line between a well done romance and a cheap sexist one is narrow, and I'm not sure they could pull that off, especially considering each movie is being written by a different author, which increases the possibility of mishandling this.

I think this new trilogy is basically like the original trilogy in its creative process. Disney have obviously mapped out their story and what they intend etc (like Lucas) and the writers for each film can write their own film, but within the constraints of what Disney have planned. Like Kasdan did with Empire and Jedi. Of course Disney, perhaps Abrams, Kasdan and Kennedy have ensured a through-story for 3 films and that the writers of Ep8 and 9 have to follow, but they have freedom in almost everything accept that main story, like all dialogue, action, settings etc. But with the first film clearly setting up huge story threads to carry on, like who is Rey? Who is Snoke? What has Luke been up to? Etc. Those key plot points are already written.

I guess a good way of describing it would be that this new trilogy is like a road trip to a destination already decided, but they've brought people in to decide what points of interest we should visit along the way.

On 1/8/2016 at 4:10 AM, crumbs said:

I heard that and was simply baffled. Like, who notices these things?

They look the same!

This is what I say when people here say the main title music sounds different between the 7 films.