The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

On 16/10/2023 at 3:42 PM, greenturnedblue said:

Well, what did they expect? Everything wrapped up neatly with Endgame

Yeah at this point it would kind of been poetic to have the MCU begin and end with Tony Stark. It would of also given Marvel the chance to recast and introduce so many characters and factions that should of been there from the begining but weren't available till Disney bought Fox.

Definitely.

DOD was expected to go through the roof. In the end, it barely reached the first floor mezzanine.

If The Mouse isn't careful, it'll be in the same state that it was at the beginning of the '80s - losing money hand over fist, and with a lot of staff leaving.

Exactly. Honestly it looks like it might almost be there. Then again look at what came out of all those staff leaving, people like Don Bluth and what great films he and other former Disney animators created. It also led to the Disney Renaissance. So who knows, maybe in a few years there'll be another one. 

Marvel Studios’ Daredevil television series has a new creative team.

Dario Scardapane, whose recent credits include Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan as well as Netflix’s Marvel show The Punisher, has been tapped to act as the new showrunner for the series, which is in the midst of a creative overhaul.

Additionally, Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead, the co-directing team behind indie genre thrillers who are coming off of directing episodes of Loki season two, have been hired to helm the remaining episodes that will constitute the first season on Disney+

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-born-again-lands-new-showrunner-1235630284/

That seems the obvious idea, maybe they were unavailable, too expensive or because it's going to be on Disney plus they wanted it to be more family friendly (yes I know that the original is on there, but that was made for Netflix who were aiming for an older audience and so Disney might want a fresh start and have it be more for a general audience) 

Which of these MCU movies that I have not yet seen, should I watch this weekend?

Eternals
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
The Marvels

Of those movies I have only seen Eternals. (I pretty much gave up on the MCU.)

Only pick Eternals if you're in the mood for the dullest, most robotic and long movie WITH a bonus of an annoying child character.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Eternals

Not as bad as people say, but still pretty bad.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Decent, although a little too long. Acting is great though.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Not awful, just bland. Not as good and fun as the previous two Ant-Man movies. Jonathan Majors gives a great performance, but since apparently he's not coming back, then this movie is even more pointless.

Haven't seen the other two.

Guardians is the best movie of the lot, probably the closest project that captures the pre-Endgame Marvel glory (whatever that means). 

Wakanda Forever was actually a very pleasant surprise. Bit overlong but it felt genuinely heartfelt for the most part.

Eternals is a pretty looking film, with some of Djawadi's finest work, but there's nothing more to it. It's really boring and empty.

Ant-Man 3 is OKish. Didn't quite deserve all the battering but it's also not a lost masterpiece either. It's basically "one of those".

Karol

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Acting is great though.

It just needs a movie to go with it.

@Jay your list has caused me anxiety. It's a solid list of some of the most nothing movies I have seen. None of them are BAD. But they have the staying power of cotton candy in the rain, minus the momentary joy. You can watch the new Haunted Mansion?

(I haven't seen Marvels. Obviously.)

I'm sure I'll watch some non-comic book movies this weekend too, but I figured eh, I'm five movies behind on MCU movies now, might as well try to knock one off.  I'm honestly leaning towards seeing The  Marvels at the cinema more than any of the Disney+ ones

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Guardians is the best movie of the lot, probably the closest project that captures the pre-Endgame Marvel glory (whatever that means). 

Wakanda Forever was actually a very pleasant surprise. Bit overlong but it felt genuinely heartfelt for the most part.

Eternals is a pretty looking film, with some of Djawadi's finest work, but there's nothing more to it. It's really boring and empty.

Ant-Man 3 is OKish. Didn't quite deserve all the battering but it's also not a lost masterpiece either. It's basically "one of those".

I agree with this assessment. Guardians 3 and Wakanda Forever are the only two *good* movies on your to-watch list, Jay. Neither of them is perfect but they also both have moments that verge on greatness. There are excellent performances and interesting characters in both, as well as good unique ideas and things that aren't a dime a dozen in Marvel movies. I would actually put Wakanda Forever on the same level of Guardians 3 *if* it didn't have all the obnoxious set-ups for future Marvel films. The stuff that is contained to its own story is all excellent, and I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job of dealing with the loss of the main actor. The silver lining to Boseman's tragic death is that it did allow the supporting cast of the original Black Panter to really shine, this time around.

Yavar

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I agree with this assessment. Guardians 3 and Wakanda Forever are the only two *good* movies on your to-watch list, Jay. Neither of them is perfect but they also both have moments that verge on greatness. There are excellent performances and interesting characters in both, as well as good unique ideas and things that aren't a dime a dozen in Marvel movies. I would actually put Wakanda Forever on the same level of Guardians 3 *if* it didn't have all the obnoxious set-ups for future Marvel films. The stuff that is contained to its own story is all excellent, and I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job of dealing with the loss of the main actor. The silver lining to Boseman's tragic death is that it did allow the supporting cast of the original Black Panter to really shine, this time around.

Yavar

You know what's interesting for me? As much as I liked Chadwick Boseman, I also felt that all the supporting characters in the first movie were more interesting than him. T'Challa himself was much more interesting arc in Civil War than he did in his own movie. He was a bit too stoic to be engaging. That is why I actually prefer the second movie, as weird as it may sound. There are some interesting themes being explored there that you don't normally find in this kind of a movie. And the tone was more earnest as well which made a nice change from Thor 4.

And yes, I agree with one on all the unnecessary stuff. And some of the visuals were less than spectacular.

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You know what's interesting for me? As much as I liked Chadwick Boseman, I also felt that all the supporting characters in the first movie were more interesting than him. T'Challa himself was much more interesting arc in Civil War than he did in his own movie. He was a bit too stoic to be engaging. That is why I actually prefer the second movie, as weird as it may sound. There are some interesting themes being explored there that you don't normally find in this kind of a movie. And the tone was more earnest as well which made a nice change from Thor 4.

Karol

the tone of Wakanda Forever is way cooler than anything in Thor 4. (and so is the score lol)

it's just really clumsy. it kind of feels like it makes no sense. some of the action stuff is not up to snuff.

Guardian 3 is more consistent (i'm still annoyed by a couple of things, but they would change the entire setting of the third act so it's kind of a mess). but in Wakanda Forever there's the stuff that Yavar mentions, like when Shuri [spoilers] or like when Shuri [spoilers]

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

GOTG3 was the only good one, and one of the few decent post-Endgame projects, IMO. Though as @Brónach correctly points out, the third act is a bit of a mess and the film probably goes 45 minutes too long.

I haven't seen The Marvels, but then I'm not a 13-year-old girl.

7 minutes ago, Brónach said:

the tone of Wakanda Forever is way cooler than anything in Thor 4. (and so is the score lol)

it's just really clumsy. it kind of feels like it makes no sense. some of the action stuff is not up to snuff.

Guardian 3 is more consistent (i'm still annoyed by a couple of things, but they would change the entire setting of the third act so it's kind of a mess). but in Wakanda Forever there's the stuff that you mention, like when Shuri [spoilers] or like when Shuri [spoilers]

Oh it is definitely clumsy. Sort of in the same way The Dark Knight Rises is. Both interesting and unusual films but quite bogged down by their own weight.

And yes, great use of music. I love the score (and quite a few songs too). I like how both the music and film film tonally like a complete opposite to the first one. Some interesting contrasts there and a lot more subtle and thoughtful work than your average superhero score. It's also good to see a major movie that uses no music in so many spots to give us time to catch a breath.

Karol

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

So boring

It was not my intention to offend you Jason, and if I did, I'm truly sorry.

I just mean, the film appears to be marketed to 13-year-old girls (I understand there are lots of cats). OK, maybe 15, depending on the maturity level. And to me, not being in that target audience, it looks unappealing. YMMV.

I prefer much more mature Marvel fare, what with the talking racoon and such.

Add me to the group that considers Wakanda Forever a far superior film to the original Black Panther. And yes, Boseman’s character was kinda boring in that because his arc was already (the best) part of the overall disappointing Captain America 3.

Yavar

12 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Add me to the group that considers Wakanda Forever a far superior film to the original Black Panther. And yes, Boseman’s character was kinda boring in that because his arc was already (the best) part of the overall disappointing Captain America 3.

Yavar

Yes, I think Wakanda Forever better than the original. 

It did, for me: the shared grief over the loss of T’Challa, which was just handled so beautifully by all involved. I thought T’Challa was the bearing heart of Civil War but I found him a bland and boring disappointment in Black Panther… hardly the “center that held it together”. Killmonger was super compelling but barely in the first half of the movie! (I thought Namor was much better integrated into the sequel, and equally compelling.)

The only stuff that sullied Wakanda Forever for me was the American stuff.

Yavar