The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

One thing I don't understand is why they are so obsessed with teasing Singerverse X-Men. It would be a perfect opportunity to start from scratch, do the franchise properly, and have a big title up their sleeve. But why reheat something that wasn't all that great, to begin with?

Karol

One word: nostalgia. They want to attract people who were kids when these Fox movies came out. It's the same reason behind the live-action remakes of their animated classics and behind the success of No Way Home. Heck, Hollywood has been relying on nostalgia for decades now and it only got worse throghout the decades. Now it's the time to capitalize on 2000s nostalgia and in 10 years (or maybe less?) it'll be the 2010s turn.

However, No Way Home had an advantage that was that the presence of Maguire & Garfield wasn't confirmed by any official marketing material before the actual release - only the villains. All people had were theories and scoops on social media and these superhero sites like Comic Book Movie, etc. It was a very novel thing to do to bring back cast members from beloved past blockbusters. Then, Multiverse of Madness and The Flash kinda tried to do the same thing but didn't get the same enthusiastic response. 

We'll see if Deadpool 3 will manage to pull the same thing... But again: people already expect older actors to be brought back, it doesn't have the same novelty that NWH had. A huge part of the reason why their first few days were so huge at the box office was because people were genuinely curious to see if the previous two Spider-Men would come back and, if so, how.

15 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

But I do see this push-back creeping more into the "mainstream", it's no longer merely the province of right wing YouTubers.

15 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Of course, if the quality of the product was better, and the "message" delivered with more subtlety (Disney used to be good at this), it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

👍

I don't mind some messaging in my entertainment, but just don't be so obvious and ham-fisted about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's choose the worst and most cringe inducing (sometimes even vomit inducing) quippy one-liners in the whole MCU? I know there's a lot of them to choose, but you can start by those in the article below:

https://screenrant.com/marvel-cinematic-universe-cringiest-one-liners-mcu/

For some reason they left my "favorite" one out of the article:

"Did you bring everyone?"

"What?!? You wanted more?"

face palm GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Giphy, Awkward moments, Facepalm gif

Honestly, is this necessary?

Why are people so negative about a lot of stuff and wanting to take it down. For me, it takes the joy out of these things. It's a real shame.

I don't mean this personally or just about Marvel but in general should people get confused. Why always all the negativity? Isn't there enough of that already?

:eh:

I wasn't even going to dignify the whining and moaning above with an answer but anyway: I don't care about MCU dialogue. I think their strengths lie elsewhere despite the constant quips. I blame Whedon, Gunn and Waititi for turning the Marvel Universe into a sitcom where the characters crack jokes even when the scene doesn't call for that. This undermines the stakes and makes the writers look ridiculous, like they were saying: "look how silly and dumb all of this is! You don't need to take anything seriously, no one is in any danger of dying and all of this plot is totally ridiculous!".

Imagine if some of the greatest sci fi and fantasy classics from the past like SW Original Trilogy, LOTR, etc., had characters constantly making fun of themselves and the world they inhabit? No one would take Sauron or Vader seriously if Frodo and Luke just danced and partied and cracked jokes, etc.

I hate those kinds of dialogues where the villain presents himself or explains his plan, then the heroes ridicule him and then... the villain retorts with another joke. And if the problem was contained to the MCU, then sure - it's their shtick or whatever, annoying as it is. But other franchises have suffered from it too, even those that (supposedly) target adults, like Game of Thrones.

So yeah, I don't like it and I'll make fun of it. Does that make you sad? So create a "MCU Appreciation Thread" that doesn't allow for criticism of the franchise and be happy there. Otherwise, stop bitching and learn to take criticism of the (countless) things you love like a man.

ScreenRant is a content mill and it doesn’t matter if their stuff is any good or not as long as there’s a lot of it.  Unfortunately, it’s easy in general to make a word count and to get clicks if you’re being shitty about something.

I haven’t rewatched most of the MCU movies, so I can’t think of any bad one-liners - but most one-liners are bad, at least out of context anyway.

ScreenRant is shit, but they're not entirely wrong on the article I posted above (you know what they say about broken clocks).

I mean, this kind of quippy "don't take anything seriously" dialogue is even a meme at this point:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/millennial-writing

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/marvel-one-liners-so-that-just-happened

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yep. Just blame some multiverse crap and bring in Denzel as the Superior Kang or something, who then proceeds to kill all his variants to absorb their power.

Just like they did with Rhodey? And Banner? And presumably they will with Ross?

Aside from (unsurprising) Marvel move, the defence took made some really head-scratching choices throughout all this ordeal. I am no lawyer but at no point did I think his attorneys made him look good, with all those public statements and screenshots leading up to this trial and the sort of aggressive, almost bullyish, tone overall. But I suppose that's the risk if you are hellbent of proving your client is an absolute angel and not acknowledging some harm could have been inflicted, even if unintentionally. Which is, from my understanding, what he was convicted of in the end.

Karol

From a story standpoint I always thought Kang was a rather bizarre choice for the multiverse big bad, when the ultimate goal is Secret Wars. The final antagonist should really either have been Beyonder or Doom.

Yeah, Kang was supposed to be the next Thanos to the MCU but they weren't doing a very good job of establishing that. He was already defeated by Ant-Man, so why should the group at large be needed to take him on the next time? Honestly, the whole set up to the next Avengers has been terrible (who even are the Avengers right now?) and this might be a blessing in disguise. They have already made it clear they want to do Secret Wars so getting rid of Kang and replacing him with someone like Dr. Doom to face the Avengers seems a better play to right the ship at this point.

3 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Yeah, Kang was supposed to be the next Thanos to the MCU but they weren't doing a very good job of establishing that.

But who was Thanos before Endgame? His biggest scene was in Guardians 1, right? Did that really lay the groundwork for the powerhouse performance in that movie?

3 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Honestly, the whole set up to the next Avengers has been terrible (who even are the Avengers right now?)

Who were the Avengers before? They were the coherent comic book team for maybe a movie. (The end of The Avengers and the beginning of Ultron.) Then they rejiggered the team at the end of Ultron (with Stark bowing out) and then really shuffled the deck with Civil War.

I'm not saying they don't have problems. They do. The movies have not been very good or compelling for some reason. But it's not that they have some problem with the Big Picture approach to building the Next Thanos. They didn't really build the First Thanos.

The problem with the next Avengers movie is why do you do a team up made up of a team that no-one has wanted to see separately? It does really underline what a crazy throw of the dice the first Avengers was when the only character anyone had already seen and responded to was Iron Man. It was like throwing the parts off the cliff and building the plane on the way down.

I agree 100%.  I think the excellence of Avengers 3/4 made it seem like the 20 preceding standalone movies were some masterclass in plotting, but they were just as disparate as the stuff that’s come after.  With the most charismatic actors/characters off the table after Endgame, they essentially needed to catch lightning in a bottle for a second time.  And the “need” to cram SO MUCH STUFF in the -only four- years since Endgame certainly didn’t help.

I think part of why Ant-Man 3 had so little staying power with me was little things like recasting Cassie and not having the rest of the supporting cast from the first two. I don't recall thinking it was actively bad while I was watching it. It just didn't have any staying power with me. I mean, super-memorable villains were not the hallmark of the Ant-Man films. OK, the ghost lady from the second one was pretty cool.

I have to say, 6 episodes in, What If...? Season 2 is very good.

It's better than S1 I think and some really interesting stuff is being done.

Episode 1 has Blade Runner vibes

Episode 2 is a fun take on the Avengers & Ego

Episode 3 is the Christmas episode

Episode 4 is with Iron Man & The Grandmaster and is mostly played for laughs

Episode 5 is a continuation of Captain Carter and has some fantastic action is visuals

Episode 6 is where the completely new character is introduced, Kahhori. Not only is her character a great addition to the MCU and her powers are fantastic. And the whole episode is spoken in Mohawk and Spanish. Really cool

Looking forward to what the final three have to offer!

Screenshot_20240106-142646.png

Captain Marvel is the only one who has a shot at taking on Kang or Doom, the others would just be quickly dispatched.

Then again, we saw Kang be humiliated by Ant-Man and an army of ants not too long ago...

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Captain Marvel is the only one who has a shot at taking on Kang or Doom, the others would just be quickly dispatched.

Thanos was taken out by Iron Man. IRON MAN.

This team is as powerful (they have TWO hulks) just not as popular.

21 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Thanos was taken out by Iron Man. IRON MAN.

Only because Iron Man tricked him and stole the infinity stones from one gauntlet to another while Thanos was distracted kicking him. Tony won more due to his brains and smarts than simply physical power, unlike Superman defeating Zod on MoS for instance.

Before that, Endgame Thanos was so unstoppable that even without the Infinity Gauntlet he managed to defeat Thor, Captain America and Iron Man without breaking a sweat (he was briefly surprised when Cap wielded Mjolnir but quickly adapted).

Then, during the battle, he not only overpowered the trio again but also dispatched Captain Marvel (with a little help from the stones, of course).

Anyway, across both Infinity War and Endgame, Thanos defeated pretty much every single hero, from Hulk to Doctor Strange to Iron Man to all the Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. The only people who came close to finishing him were Thor during the Battle of Wakanda (if only he went for the head, or arrived a few minutes before while the team was having their asses kicked...) and Scarlet Witch during the last battle (she was so consumed by revenge that she almost brutally killed the villain, but Thanos was smart and used the firepower of his own ship to decimate the battlefield).

So yeah, in pure physical strength and battle strategy almost no Avenger was match for Thanos. In theory, Kang should be even more of a challenge... But my poor dude suffered an embarrasing defeat at the hands of Ant-Man of all people. 

Captain Marvel & Wong are both incredibly powerful.

Shang-Chi has the ten rings now, which are really powerful.

2 Hulks.

A god

Captain America with a shield and wings.

And you can bet that Wanda will be back. And there are so many more chatacters who are extremely powerful which will either show up in Kang Dynasty or Secret Wars.

And expect a bunch of other stuff to be released first, before the new Avengers roster. Those 2 films are pretty far away

From Hawkeye you mean?

Yeah, would've been nice.

This does scream "Netflix Marvel Series" to me in some way

But without any context, it's pretty meh

Apparently Echo is streaming now, has anybody watched?