The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, The Big Man said:

Calm down, folks. It's just a crappy made-for-telly flick.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:07 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's the new Black Panther. It's just so...Utterly Wonder Woman.

What is it exactly that you’re looking for in a DC movie? 1989 ain’t coming back and Snyder and Whedon aren’t rescuing shit, so Jenkins could well be the last best hope. Besides, WW was actually a fun movie—better and more engaging than any Avengers episode, er, movie. 

12 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

1989 is better than every year

9 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

It had Batman, Ghostbusters II, Licence to Kill, Friday the 13th Part VIII, Halloween 5, and Star Trek V.

Yeah, that is a pretty stacked year, even with just the first three. 

The fact that that was 1989 and we live in the now. So take what’s good where you can find it—even if it won’t quite compare to what we all remember. (We sure won’t find good with Snyder or his ilk.) WW84 is going to be a fun movie experience.

24 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

So take what’s good where you can find it—even if it won’t quite compare to what we all remember.

I can't accept such defeatism. If the quality of the latest stuff is inferior to what came before, then we just discard the new and instead continue to revisit what made us happy before. I can't force myself to consume the latest and shrug off its mass-produced mediocrity as if to say "well, I suppose that's as good as it gets". There's no satisfaction from that and just encourages the decline in quality.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'd like to Kathryn Bigelow to take a shot at a Wonder Woman movie, or any other female super-hero.

Bigelow is a Soldier groupie.

Not into super heroes.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Pretty much that.

Joker is a great example, the only reason it earned over a billion dollars in box office was because its connection with Batman and DC. If the movie was about a random poor guy with mental illness, it would've struggle to find its audience.

Well, duh!

That's like saying the only reason folks go to see Daniel Craig's James Bond movies is because of its association with the character of.......James Bond!

I wonder which movie will come out first, WW3 or Rogue Squadron.

I'm not sure if Patty can write, direct and finish two big budget movies before 2023. I'm imagining WW3 will be dealt with AFTER she completes Rogue Squadron.

Wonder Woman 84 has the lowest rating of all DCEU movies. 

1. Joker

2. Wonder Woman

3. Shazam

4. Man Of Steel

5. Aquaman

6. Batman v Superman

7. Justice Leaque

8. Birds Of Prey

9. Suicide Squad

10. Wonder Woman 84

The people have spoken: Bring back Snyder!

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls031319877/?sort=user_rating,desc&st_dt=&mode=detail&page=1

That reeks of serious reviewer bombing, given that as much as I know WW84 hasn't been received particularly greatly, I think I heard much harder pushback against some of the other films in the DCEU discussions.

Then again, given how much the film supposedly veers heavily into campier territory, that probably would be enough to turn off the current generation of peeps.

No! The people were right. It was bad, especially towards the grotesque end. Though I understand why JWFan embraces WW84, it feels like the Salkinds are back. And I'm saying "The Salkinds", not "Richard Donner". Drax & Co will love it. The only thing missing is John Williams. 

And if you like Zimmer in his classic Zimmer action movie mode (I thought he wasn't going to do those type of scores any more?), then you won't mind the score either. 

Richard Donner speaks out:

There are so many people that make superheroes so cynical it's depressing. When they're dark and bleak and angry with themselves and the world, I don't find it entertaining. I think there's enough reality going on for that. We just got over four years of that. I think we crave the opposite.

But adds:

When you see it done right, by my standards, it's so fulfilling. I'm very happy and proud when I see them. When it's done wrong, it's such a disappointment.

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/superman-director-richard-donner-dark-cynical-superhero-films

I haven’t seen WW84 yet, but am a little bit confused about how it has been received.

It seems to be in the same vain as the first Wonder Woman, or Aquaman and Shazam, and surely that’s a good thing.

I hear good things about it, but I also see a lot of pushback. What is that about?

It’s Kingsman: The Golden Circle to WW’s Kingsman, I’d say.

Way more unfocused than the first, messy, with some subplots feeling a bit ham-fisted and under-baked. Worse than Aquaman for my money (I thought that was dumb but deliberately so and really fun).

But Pedro Pascal is brilliant in it, it does have that.

2 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

It’s the Kingsman: The Golden Circle to WW’s Kingsman, say.

Way unfocused than the first, messy, with some subplots feeling a bit ham-fisted and under-baked. Worse than Aquaman for my money (I thought that was dumb but deliberately so and really fun).

OK, I get it, well described. Thanks.

What a shame.

6 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

It’s Kingsman: The Golden Circle to WW’s Kingsman, I’d say.

Way more unfocused than the first, messy, with some subplots feeling a bit ham-fisted and under-baked. Worse than Aquaman for my money (I thought that was dumb but deliberately so and really fun).

But Pedro Pascal is brilliant in it, it does have that.

Yeah, that pretty much describes the movie. And I also prefer Aquaman, which was very funny and really dumb.