Define a John Williams "dust collector" and your listening habits

Unlucky Bastard

So, as has pretty much been made clear here, dust collectors are for each person the scores they care about the least. It's pretty uncommon for a JW fan completist to name a score like E.T. as one of these (much less unowned--but that's what makes you you, Wojo!), but as you can see, it's not unheard of. For me, I'd agree that his 60s rom-coms get a lot less attention from me. There are a few more recent ones (yes, Munich)--and even one or two from his Golden Age (Black Sunday, for instance)--that maintain back-burner status.

More interesting to me has always been the dust-collectors in my Jerry stash. His earliest scores remain some of his best ones. The less-interesting ones (to me) are scattered throughout his career, from beginning to end. He was a master, but a hit-and-miss master.

But since he doesn't own it it can't be collecting dust.

GREY having only the original soundtrack to ET is wonderful. It's all you need.

Also E.T, but mostly because I don't want to "spoil" it. CMIYC is a bit of a dreary experience when listened to on album. It's too downbeat for me. And I've listened to Sabrina once or twice.

The Patriot is actually my most listened to JW score.

Williams has the great advantage that he at least writes one or two keepers per score...the concert stuff. Minus these, scores like STEPMOM, CMIYC, AMISTAD and several others wouldn't make the cut.

I'm surprised you like Indy 4 but not Harry Potter or Tintin. They are all cut from the same cloth, in a way

Except that the Potter scores and Tintin are great scores.

KotCS > Tintin

My biggest dust collector is probably one of the early scores...None But the Brave is pretty boring.

War of the Worlds (except for The Intersection Scene)

I haven't listened to Minority Report in a long time although I remember liking some tracks but I think Everybody Runs is overrated.

The Book Thief which is a finely crafted score but is far too close to Angela's Ashes for my liking. I would have enjoyed that score a lot more had Angela's Ashes not existed.

I haven't listened to the Seven Years In Tibet OST for about 10 years but regularly listen to the concert suite.

Until very recently, I would have included Munich in this list but I rediscovered the score last week and have listened to the full OST about 10 times since then.

Ultimate Dust Collectors:

Saving Private Ryan

Minority report

Munich

War of the Worlds

Rosewood

Presumed Innocent

(waits for KK and Grey Pilgrim to say that list is their favorite JW scores)

So ,yeah, Im really thrilled Williams is scoring that cold war movie (pretty much an automatic dust collector)

That being said EVERY Williams score has at least 2-3 tracks worth keeping to play more often

I like to listen to Lincoln and Book Thief so they aren't on the list

Not my favourites either. But I enjoy Minority Report, Munich, Presumed Innocent and to a lesser extent War of the Worlds, very much.

The Book Thief has quickly become a dust collector.

Saving Private Ryan

Minority report

Munich

War of the Worlds

Rosewood

Presumed Innocent

Ah yes, Presumed Innocent. It's one of the few post-1975 JW scores that I have considered giving a rating less than 3/5 stars. Rosewood, Munich, War of the Worlds, and Minority Report are all good scores. SPR is well intentioned, but boring.

He only gave it 5 stars because JW wrote it. If it had been some no-name composer, it would have gotten 2 or 3 stars.

And all the other dull JW scores he gave a 2 or a 3? What sets Presumed Innocent above the rest?

He only gave it 5 stars because JW wrote it. If it had been some no-name composer, it would have gotten 2 or 3 stars.

And all the other dull JW scores he gave a 2 or a 3? What sets Presumed Innocent above the rest?

Barbara's Confession.

Well, as Incanus mentioned upthread, all the CDs I own become "dust collectors" once they're ripped to my computer, but to more directly answer the question, I don't have many, probably because my Williams collection is smaller than I'd imagine most people's to be on this board. The key two I think of are War Horse and Rosewood - I think I've only listened to each once.

I got rid of Munich on the advice of my therapist as I work through my issues.

Saving Private Ryan

Minority report

Munich

War of the Worlds

Rosewood

Presumed Innocent

Minority Report and Private Ryan? The hell? What about Sleepers, The Book Thief, The River...

Difficult topic to answer.

It depends on a lot of things.

My main "dust collectors" are my bootlegs of unreleased Williams scores. It's rarely tempting to put on audio rips complete with sound effects, dialogue and shoddy sound.

As far as commercial albums are concerned, I try to play all of them on a regular basis. But JOHN GOLDFARB is not very tempting (it could have been, had it been rearranged for listening or rerecorded at the time, like many of his other 60s comedy scores -- some of which I absolutely LOVE to listen to). Same goes for stuff like ALWAYS, THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, SABRINA, HEARTBEEPS, FAMILY PLOT. Recent scores like TINTIN, LINCOLN, BOOK THIEF, INDY 4 haven't made much of an impact on me either, but I'm willing to give them more chances.

These days, I veer more towards the calmer material than the big and bombastic, but that doesn't mean that I don't play the latter.

Finally, ALL of my CD's are "dust collectors", in a way, because once I transferred them to iTunes some 4-5 years ago, I've hardly -- if ever -- taken one out to play it physically! Now they're basically a piece of furniture that's just for show.