The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

No question about that and I'm on the same page. But the discussion was centering on how realistic CGI characters can get.

I'm a Yoda puppet kind of guy

I must the only one who cringed at subpar composition-blend between Gollum and the real actors and sets back in 2002.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

That is 100 times more interesting to me then the quality of the effects 

Tolkien made him memorable anyway.

31 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I must the only one who cringed at subpar composition-blend between Gollum and the real actors and sets back in 2002.

qKOqstg.jpg

Nope. I'm not seeing it. 

In RotK, Gollum was pretty damn ood, but in Hobbit 1 he looked astounding. Don't think anything will surpass that for a while... 

Isn't the "uncanny valley"  issue only relevant to animating human beings?  At least, that is how the term is usually used.  So Gollum, Jar Jar, and even the BFG really don't apply. 

Maybe not. The reactions increase in horror as humanlike figures approach the uncanny valley. Are people horrified or disgusted by Gollum and Jar Jar, yes, but not for those reasons. They're not trying to be made completely humanlike so we don't mind. But young Xavier in Wolverine Origins and young Jeff Bridges in TRON Legacy and The Polar Express, those are definitely uncanny valley players. 

Digi Arnie in Genisys was actually pretty awesome when he was just standing and looking around, though his running and fighting scenes were somewhere deep down in the uncanny valley...

54 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

In RotK, Gollum was pretty damn ood, but in Hobbit 1 he looked astounding. Don't think anything will surpass that for a while... 

I prefer LOTR Gollum to Hobbit 1 Gollum.  For some reason the latter feels more like an effect to me (perhaps it's the Uncanny Valley).

The Witches was actually the first movie I saw in a theater and by the time the faces were removed to reveal a grotesque monster, I also had to be removed. I vividly remember a witch trapping a little girl in a painting, a chopped off finger and a witch with crazy eyes attempting to lure a child out of a treehouse with a snake. What a freakshow. I wonder if it's on Netflix.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take what I can get promo-wise, but at this point, I definitely will be able to resist listening to the whole soundtrack before seeing the film. If we get any samples, I will probably have to let myself listen to those once.....and if/when it leaks or shows up on Spotify I'll listen to the end credits once too. But that's it! :P

If it comes close to matching the lush writing he did on War Horse I'll be a very happy Vegemite. I've found Williams' recent underscore writing a little thin, as far as orchestration. Restrained, even.

Got a really good feeling about this score though, even if he seemed to write it in only 8 - 10 weeks.

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Got a really good feeling about this score though, even if he seemed to write it in only 8 - 10 weeks.

Which is pretty much the usual time for a film composer, 10 weeks being almost on the luxurious side even.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Which is pretty much the usual time for a film composer, 10 weeks being almost on the luxurious side even.

A good sign he isn't slowing down!

Pretty sure that any director/studio who wants Williams badly enough would accommodate whatever time he requires to write.

Just look at TFA; some poor work experience intern is still sorting through hundreds of overtime timesheets JW submitted.

And they still invited him back!

Why don't you write about the movies you see in the NewFilm thread you created any more?

The CG for the orcs in Warcraft look good, shame about their silly designs. Give me actors in suits with prosthetic from the Lord of the Rings days...

1 hour ago, RPurton said:

The CG for the orcs in Warcraft look good, shame about their silly designs. Give me actors in suits with prosthetic from the Lord of the Rings days...

Sadly PJ wanted full CG orcs from the start as he admits in the Hobbit documentaries. The prosthetics were just a necessary evil back in 2001 according to PJ as they could not create convincing CG orcs back then. :pat:

Even permitting that was the case, what we ended up with was what made the orcs more intimidating, unique and just 'real'. Not CGI sameness.

6 hours ago, RPurton said:

The CG for the orcs in Warcraft look good, shame about their silly designs. 

That movie looks like the Hobbit... :pukeface:

On 15/6/2016 at 10:51 AM, Incanus said:

Sadly PJ wanted full CG orcs from the start as he admits in the Hobbit documentaries. The prosthetics were just a necessary evil back in 2001 according to PJ as they could not create convincing CG orcs back then. :pat:

Did he really said that?

Does he really want to be the next George Lucas???

More TV spots. Definitely no Williams music at all in the second, first and third have very short moments that could possibly be him -- watch the videos and judge for yourself.