New Lucasfilm / Star Wars Intro Fanfare (Fox Fanfare Replacement)

Saxman717

I wonder if their "low profile" on Marvel is more of a contractual thing from the buyout. They certainly would have nothing to lose from stamping their little castle on the comics and movies, and it's not like people aren't aware that Disney owns the company.

Marvel is frankly too adult for the main Disney "brand"

Adding the Disney logo to Marvel comics and movies would hurt more than it would help

Star Wars is way more family friendly

Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, and Dimension are the subsidiaries of Disney that make adult films (not that kind of adult films). Pretty Woman, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Royal Tennenbaums, The Sixth Sense, Scream, Pulp Fiction, etc, etc. Buena Vista was the subsidiary that distributed all the films

I never saw the Buena vista white castle logo with blue background in any adult film...

BTW the books feature the word 'Disney' in tipical disney font. No castle or more developed logo. it is like this: Disney | Lucasfilm (lucasfilm is the typical logo)

Just why didn't anyone ask Williams to re-adjust this piece (or record something new) while they're actually in the middle of writing a friggin Star Wars score is beyond me.

Karol

Just why didn't anyone ask Williams to re-adjust this piece (or record something new) while they're actually in the middle of writing a friggin Star Wars score is beyond me.

Karol

I'm assuming they did (or will) record something new. Why it hasn't been done, yet, or used in the collection already is another question. It's certainly puzzling.

Yea, I already covered this thought process

That is the most annoying part - Disney bought Lucasfilm 30 months ago, and in all that time this is the best edit they came up with to replace the Lucasfilm logo music on the films?

I have to imagine that John Williams will compose a Lucasfilm Fanfare for Episode 7, and that will retroactively be added to these digital releases once it's recorded.

Since they went this route of using existing material, I'm trying to think of what would have been a better option. Possibly a short variation of the Force theme?

Yea, I already covered this thought process

That is the most annoying part - Disney bought Lucasfilm 30 months ago, and in all that time this is the best edit they came up with to replace the Lucasfilm logo music on the films?

I have to imagine that John Williams will compose a Lucasfilm Fanfare for Episode 7, and that will retroactively be added to these digital releases once it's recorded.

If it's already written and recorded, it possibly could have presented a nice surprise teaser of the score... aside from the teaser music, of course.

But that's not the same as being broke. When your favorite sports player is traded to a different team and has to start wearing their colors, is he broke?

Albert Pujols is dead to me.

Since they went this route of using existing material, I'm trying to think of what would have been a better option. Possibly a short variation of the Force theme?

Yes, I agree ---- possibly a variation on Binary Sunset ---- it is not a fanfare like the Fox fanfare, but it could provide a magical "setting of the stage" sound like Disney usually does with its "When you Wish Upon a Star" intro music for all its films. Also, many trailers in the past have used the Force theme / Binary Sunset music during the opening seconds as the Lucasfilm logo is displayed, prior to showing the main trailer material.

I don't think it's anything like as bad as most of you are saying. That said, I'm unfamiliar with the ESB end credits.

There's a whole world of wtf in that quote.

I'm not into Star Wars music at all. I realize this is shocking to some.

Yea, while I don't see the point of removing the Fox logo and its Afred Newman music, I understand why Disney wants to do it.

I'm fine with movies opening directly with the Lucasfilm logo, but they should have original music under that logo, or at least well edited John Williams Star Wars music, or silence. This is a bad edit.

If they had made some kind of deal with FOX they could have reatined the logo, like in some paramount marvel films in production while disney bought marvel.

But they must not have had an agreement, hence the total removal of the logo from the films totally owned and sold by lucasfilm, and the permanency of it in SW which is owned by Fox.

Yea, while I don't see the point of removing the Fox logo and its Afred Newman music, I understand why Disney wants to do it.

I wonder. Is it that they want to do it? Or could it be that they HAVE to do it? Perhaps it's not just a matter of Disney not wanting a "foreign" logo in their films, but rather Fox not wanting someone else to use their logo?

Aside from the lousy execution though, the Fox fanfare really shouldn't be removed from these films. It is an integral part of the Star Wars fabric - no matter if it's intentional or by accident that the main titles are in the same key, the fanfare, followed by that pause (!) followed by the main title form an organic whole that really shouldn't be broken.

The could have used the opening bars of the alternate Vader's Funeral piece. I think that would fit the logo quite well, kind of like how a sombre version of Giacchino's theme appears on the logos of the recent Star Trek films.

Beginning of the movie I reckon a modified/SW themed cg Disney logo will play with the first few recognisable bars of When you Wish Upon a Blah before sequing nicely into either the Force theme, Luke's, or the Rebel Fanfare.

That's what'll happen.

This is the best news since 1977. I've always wanted that Fox logo purged. Not only is it a terrible news network, but having that logo is a foreign object that disturbs George's vision.

He cannot represent himself as truly independent by having that imperialistic and fascistic Fox logo. Having Lucasfilm being owned by Disney helps convey his independence as an artist.

Remember the last time Williams integrated When You Wish Upon A Star into a score? Yep, that worked out pretty well. He'll do something similar here and segue into a rendition of the Force/Luke's/Main Title theme (ala the Universal logo with the segue into ET's theme.)

It'll be used on every Star Wars film from here on, so I'd expect something special from the maestro.

Ugh, yeah, no offense to whoever edited this fanfare, but it's pretty awful. Fortunately, I strongly suspect that it's a temporary measure; Williams will probably be tapped to pen and record something original (albeit similar in approach). I'll always miss the Fox logo music, but hopefully whatever permanently replaces it will be pretty sweet.

And as for Disney music making a cameo...I highly doubt it. There's plenty of overlap between Star Wars fans and Disney fans, but Star Wars is still ultimately its own thing, and Disney knows it. I think the Marvel comparisons are very apt. It'll be a similar approach that doesn't overemphasize Disney's ownership.

EDIT: For clarification, this post was in reference to the actual video from the OP, not the parody Disney video, which is amazing.