Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

I was at Birmingham Symphony Hall on Friday night watching the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra do a film music program (Some Williams).

Just after Battle of the Heroes was performed the presenter, Tommy Pearson (think he works at Classic FM) said "John Williams will be returning to London to record the new Star Wars score this summer".

What does he know that we don't?

Moving it to the score thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23272&page=6entry1101380

I'm currently only up through 1996 in my readthrough of all the Star Wars novels, but I may skip ahead and read "Aftermath" before The Force Awakens.

Shortly after this announcement, a synopsis of Aftermath hit the Internet, btw.

http://clubjade.net/?p=62937

The second Death Star is destroyed. The Emperor and his powerful enforcer, Darth Vader, are rumored to be dead. The Galactic Empire is in chaos.
Across the galaxy, some systems celebrate, while in others Imperial factions tighten their grip. Optimism and fear reign side by side.
And while the Rebel Alliance engages the fractured forces of the Empire, a lone Rebel scout uncovers a secret Imperial meeting...

If they hope that a bunch of rushed books are going to fill a 30 year gap they are a little delusional.

I dont care anyway, since i wont read any of it.

I'm currently only up through 1996 in my readthrough of all the Star Wars novels, but I may skip ahead and read "Aftermath" before The Force Awakens.

Shortly after this announcement, a synopsis of Aftermath hit the Internet, btw.

http://clubjade.net/?p=62937

The second Death Star is destroyed. The Emperor and his powerful enforcer, Darth Vader, are rumored to be dead. The Galactic Empire is in chaos.
Across the galaxy, some systems celebrate, while in others Imperial factions tighten their grip. Optimism and fear reign side by side.
And while the Rebel Alliance engages the fractured forces of the Empire, a lone Rebel scout uncovers a secret Imperial meeting...

Half of it sounds like "The truce of Bakura" :P

I liked the video games, the Kyle Katarn stories and KOTOR timeline, though they never had bearing on the movies. I'm not so interested in the FU, even if it makes sense.

The best video games were the Super Star Wars games, where you played as one of the Rebel heroes slaughtering thousands of people and creatures. Even the fucking plants were trying to kill you.

If they hope that a bunch of rushed books are going to fill a 30 year gap they are a little delusional.

I doubt they're rushed - probably the same amount of time spent on these as any other SW book. Just because they announced them now doesn't mean that they haven't been in the works for some time.

Of the 20 books, only one is confirmed to be an "adult" novel and it apparently is about a non-movie character/rebel spy, immediately after Jedi. I'm betting there may be one more, but I think that'll be it. The others are youth adaptations, young adult stuff, comic books, guidebooks, children's picture books/storybooks, and sticker books. Most of the 20 books they mention are meant to catch up children who are mostly familiar with the prequels/Clone Wars/Rebels with the characters and events original trilogy (new adaptations of the OT through secondary characters' eyes, etc).

So I don't think they're going to be trying to fill that gap quite yet. I think instead, what after-Jedi information there is will serve more as a prelude to the movie than an info dump (kind of like "The Approaching Storm" for Attack of the Clones, or "Labyrinth of Evil" for ROTS). They own Star Wars forever, so they're probably in no hurry. They'll spend the next 30 years backfilling the period between ROTJ and TFA in books, comics, video games, etc etc etc.

The best video games were the Super Star Wars games, where you played as one of the Rebel heroes slaughtering thousands of people and creatures. Even the fucking plants were trying to kill you.

QFT

The only canon is the original theatrical versions of the trilogy and the Ewok movies.

And the Christmas Special.

Grrr....bitchy

Or Alf!

They actually made an ALF tv-movie a few years later that resolved the final episode's cliffhanger

It was even scored by Mark Snow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_ALF

I don't consider that a true ending!

And we shall always remember to assume first that a rumor is false until it can be proven true.

Like the Sliders finale.

Great show!

Come on it's obvious Sliders sucked after both Jerry and Charlie O'Connell left the show. Well Jerry was the main star...but still. I wasn't all too thrilled with what they did for John Rhys-Davies's character...but I still watched it.

Are authors prohibited from creating new works under the Legends timeline? Is that essentially alternate timeline now locked?

I don't think there was an official statement per se, but I think there have been plenty of "official" people who have said no, Legends is done. Everything new that is published from this point forward is official canon. Anything from Legends that pops up is official canon, but nothing that happened in Legends is (for instance, if a character named Mara Jade pops up, it doesn't canonize all of her Legends material unless specifically mentioned in canon material).

At this point, with less than one year since the announcement that they were simplifying canon, it would just muddy the water to be releasing new material that is non-canon under the Legends banner. Time may change things. In maybe 10 years, I could see maybe a throwback comics series or something

That's basically what I figured, Mike. Comic book series undergo this kind of revision all the time, and why would a Marvel or DC release stories in 2015 that are sequels to storylines published, say, twenty years ago. They'd tack onto current storylines or just reboot it all again.

Now if someone like Zahn would write a new story in the official canon, that'd be pretty cool.

Again, there were different levels of canon before the Legends banhammer came down, but the general idea of all Star Wars EU was that you could read a book or comic and know it should jive with the films, other than explicit contradictions. Now, no more.

But when Legends was the only form of EU, even that wasn't canon.

Correct - the prequels and the Clone Wars series contradicted a lot of EU/Legends material. Mostly stuff about Luke/Leia's mother (well, the prequels contradicted ROTJ on that as well ;)), Boba Fett, and Mandalore/Mandalorians.

Since Legends was pushed aside, some minor things from those works have been canonized if you're paying attention to the novels/comics/TV. Planet names, stuff like that. Some of the authors and comic writers have done interviews saying that not a lot of stuff is off limits, they're allowed to pull from Legends if it is important to their stories or if it helps the shorthand of the universe (using an old planet name instead of inventing and describing a new planet, etc)