Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

JJ Abrams talks about the new lightsaber and other Episode 7 matters

He doesn't look terribly interested.

Karol

He looked oddly tired and uninterested. Not in the mood to be badgered by fanboy reporters perhaps. ;)

That's what I'm thinking. He didn't seem disinterested to me; more just tired and a little annoyed with the same questions he's been getting for ages. Occasionally, though, while he's talking about something he's really excited about, you can see it shine through. He's in the hunt, but I think he's probably pretty overwhelmed right now . . . and he's running short on patience with the fanboy thing (as hilariously demonstrated when the interviewer calls the next movie Star Trek: Adventures in Space, and J.J. says, "That actually sounds like a great title"—then shares a look with the rest of us that tells us what he really thinks: :| ).

Abrahms must be tired of trying to close all leaks.

If fanboys had some crumbs he would not be so assaulted with the same stupid questios all over again :P

If fanboys had some crumbs he would not be so assaulted with the same stupid questios all over again :P

Are you kidding? He put a three-second shot of a newly styled lightsaber into the preview and has endured months of fanboys sending him design schematics for why it would and wouldn't work. You think if he let more material out, the tide would recede?

The crossguard lightsaber is a bad sign though. It's like giving the Millennium Falcon a brake parachute. There's an earthly familiarity to it that I don't want in Star Wars. There's no need to mess with a good design.

Karol

He looked oddly tired and uninterested. Not in the mood to be badgered by fanboy reporters perhaps. ;)

It looked to me like he was choosing his words VERY carefully - so being that slow/deliberate to answer possibly contributed to that vibe.

Karol

It looked to me like he was choosing his words VERY carefully - so being that slow/deliberate to answer possibly contributed to that vibe.

Yeah he seemed to be zoning out a bit while thinking up an answer. Which is a good thing as fanboys will take up any stray remark as some kind of hint.

Yeah, that was confirmed back in the original IMAX announcment, maybe about a year ago. If I recall correctly, it also confirmed that it was in the desert, so a lot of fan speculation on Twitter is that it will be the scene including the Falcon shot we saw in the trailer.

That's it. JJ Abrams and Mark Hamill have now raped my adulthood!

Wrong thread

Just keep you expectations realistic, Incanus!

I have none so I can't be disappointed. I am in only for Williams's music. ;)

Williams himself thought the first one was just going to be a little Saturday afternoon movie for kids and nothing more, and in a pretty significant way his score elevated it to something more important. To the earlier films credit, the characters/actors were interesting enough, and the story was executed in such a way, that the level could be sustained without seeming stale over the next two movies. The music continued to make the fantasy real.

Now that SW and the music is so ingrained in our culture and consciousness, let's see that they can deliver something good. The product is established, it's not going to be incredibly new. But they can't rest on their laurels. They can't just rely on name recognition and music all the time to save the day. I don't expect the second-coming either, I just want a good movie with newish ideas that expand the world they inhabit. It can be done!

Or reprised the rape on your childhood. ;)

Karol

I think he said something along those lines a while ago too. Perhaps that's the right approach with this film. After all, the original Star Wars was 'just a movie' and look how it turned out. You never know.

Or reprised the rape on your childhood. ;)

Karol

Sounds like one of those JW track titles as the finale of the album: Rape of Childhood (Reprise)

Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy are going to be guests at Star Wars Celebration in April.

I think the chances of something major being unveiled have gone up, such as a teaser or maybe a short scene from the film. Maybe we'll hear some more original music from Williams.

Even Obi-Wan thinks the new lightsaber is wrong.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ewan-McGregor-Thinks-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Already-Got-One-Big-Thing-Wrong-69438.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_385712

ewan_mcgregor_69438_zps57432fe4.jpg

Anyway, I think we've been focussing too much on the lightsaber. There's another thing wrong about this image. What's the one thing that doesn't blend well with Star Wars? That's right! Trees! And which original Star Wars movie has a tree planet? And what are the creatures who live there?

Yub nub, eee chop yub nub;
Ah toe meet toe peechee keene,
G'noop dock fling oh ah.

Even Obi-Wan thinks the new lightsaber is wrong.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ewan-McGregor-Thinks-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Already-Got-One-Big-Thing-Wrong-69438.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_385712

ewan_mcgregor_69438_zps57432fe4.jpg

Anyway, I think we've been focussing too much on the lightsaber. There's another thing wrong about this image. What's the one thing that doesn't blend well with Star Wars? That's right! Trees! And which original Star Wars movie has a tree planet? And what are the creatures who live there?

Yub nub, eee chop yub nub;

Ah toe meet toe peechee keene,

G'noop dock fling oh ah.

First Nerd World Problems. I'd just like the script and execution to be good, as well as the score.

J.J. is clever to divert fan attention to the saber so they'll talk of nothing else or speculate negatively on the actual movie. ;)

J.J. thought the fans would be positively intrigued by the new lightsaber but he was wrong. If his Star Wars is filled with silly design then he has a problem.

It's the trees that worry me the most.

Does anyone know if there's been any word on whether Disney has approached Fox to use the Fox fanfare at all?

Every time I hear Alfred Newman's now famous fanfare I always think about the opening Star Wars main title theme so I'm wondering if Disney has paid Fox for its use, just like any other product placement agreement or if there is some other agreement in place that would see the Fox fanfare included into the new movie.