The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

I've got a theory about the whole R2 coming online at the end and saying hey guys here's the map you could have had half the film ago. I think Luke knew about Rey, knew her potential (either by her being related, or he felt it) and knew that she would be the one to awaken the force. Here's my reasoning: 

1) Rey has been seeing an island in an ocean in her dreams/thoughts, which is where she finds Luke at the end. (Luke could have been reaching out to her through the force)

2) Rey has a vision/memory thing where she sees images and scenes involving Luke, Luke's failures and accomplishments, and herself of course. (It was a way to show Rey who she is)

3) R2 doesn't activate when BB8 uncovers him, because Rey isn't present. She's being held by the first order. At the end Rey is present and R2 activates because Rey was the one who was meant to go to Luke. And perhaps Luke told R2 to deactivate and give no one the map to where he is accept for Rey. And the other half of the map was on Jakku with a friend of the Jedi, who may have been there to keep an eye on Rey.

Just a theory, but I think Luke planned it all for R2 to make sure only Rey would come to him and no other.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Wait, I'm receiving conflicting information: now someone is claiming it was a New-Zealand accent.

What are you idiots talking about!? He used sign language! And he had a slight Mongolian accent with his hands.

It sounds like most of the dislikers of this movie are nitpickers. I don't like nitpickers. Picking nits is an easy job, anyone can do it. Your three year old child can do it. And you can tell something is good, when all the critics can muster against it are nitpicks. Put anything under a strong enough magnifying glass and you will see cracks and flaws. It is the nature of universe, and anything created within this universe, be it the stuff of dreams like a story or the finest physical art and architecture. 

I mean really, debating whether it's better that Kylo Ren took his mask off in the scene with Rey versus the scene with Han a few minutes later, or how the film is ruined because somehow the Millennium Falcon can make it past the Starkiller shields at light speed, or the precise nature of Kylo Ren's injuries that allowed Rey to barely defeat him? 

That stuff says we've got a great picture on our hands. Probably the third best Star Wars flick so far. 

I don't see many people challenging the core themes, the core structure, or the core characters of the film. Why? Because those are large, complicated, and difficult concepts to tackle. They require cognitive effort. Nitpicks don't. Nitpicks are easy to think about, easy to find, and easy to explicate. It's one thing to say "the movie would be better if Kylo Ren didn't take his helmet off." It's another thing to state and try to support, "the movie didn't need Kylo Ren at all." 

Well, the movie didn't need Snoke or Phasma at all

Actually for Phasma, they should have switched it around so Phasma was the trooper with the lightsaber-blocking-stick-thingy that fights Finn, and a totally random trooper is the one they get to lower the shields

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well, the movie didn't need Snoke or Phasma at all

Actually for Phasma, they should have switched it around so Phasma was the trooper with the lightsaber-blocking-stick-thingy that fights Finn, and a totally random trooper is the one they get to lower the shields

Phasma was this movie's Boba Fett. Big humdrum about a big nobody. 

Snoke I can see as being essential down the line, so they wanted to introduce him. So you have to look at him in that larger context. 

Yea, I get that about Phasma BUT they TOTALLY weakened her character by having her let some Resistance guys push her around at gunpoint and lower the shields, an inexcusable act in the military system of the First Order I would think.  She'll be facing Court Marshall if not death when they find out it was her fault the Starkiller was destroyed.  That's why it should have been a random trooper that does it.

Boba Fett was all business and would never have been pushed around like that.  It weakens Phasma's character!

Phasma would have been better received if not for the hype. She really was just a Boba Fett-style minor villain. I see why they included Snoke, too - I just wish he'd been better designed. One of the few design disappointments in the film.

I'm surprised at the dislike for Finn. I found him very believable and very funny. Rey is the real star here - I am just blown away by Daisy Ridley on a number of levels - but John Boyega did a great job with a script that suited him well.

I had no issues with Rey's quickly growing power, either. Against a full-fledged Sith, sure, that kind of near-victory would be a stretch. But Kylo Ren hasn't had that much training either. Neither had attained mastery yet.

As far as Rey's parentage goes, my current guess is that Luke is her father but there's no recognition in the final scene because the parents she remembers were adoptive parents. Luke lost Ben to the dark side shortly after Rey's birth and in his anguish, he had to give Rey to someone who could protect her. But she was somehow taken from her adoptive parents, and they are the ones she was waiting for.

I'm curious how they will say Phasma survived. She was thrown in a trash compactor but 10 minutes later the planet blew up and became a star. So she must have gotten out of the trash compactor and fled pretty quickly. Also how did Hux get out? He was in the throne room talking to Snoke Hologram when the entire base was about to explode. So he too must have moved pretty quickly, as would Ren. He was in the middle of nowhere when Rey left him and she got off the planet in a couple of minutes and it exploded, so again, how did he get out of there. Snoke tells Hux to bring Ren to him, but Hux doesn't have a clue where Ren is. Perhaps the enterprise was in orbit and just beamed Hux, Ren and Phasma out.

Rey beating an injured and emotionally wrecked Kylo is completely uncontroversial.  Maybe Alexcremers, has spent too much time analyzing movies from his chair and forgotten how the real world works? 

There are cases all throughout the world of incredibly competent people being defeated by the most pathetic of things. Shoot, in Vietnam, there were cases of incredibly talented, highly competent soldiers, with incredible skills, getting some bad news from home, getting distracted and then getting their heads lopped off by helicopter blades because they forgot to duck while boarding a Huey. 

Killed by forgetting to duck your head, because you were distracted by some emotional news. 

Just the same, there are  people who can ramp up on skills in a few days that would take most people a few years. The world isn't some equitable linear system where some formula says "every hour of training = 1 level up in skill" for everyone. 

35 minutes ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

It sounds like most of the dislikers of this movie are nitpickers. I don't like nitpickers. Picking nits is an easy job, anyone can do it. Your three year old child can do it. And you can tell something is good, when all the critics can muster against it are nitpicks. Put anything under a strong enough magnifying glass and you will see cracks and flaws. It is the nature of universe, and anything created within this universe, be it the stuff of dreams like a story or the finest physical art and architecture. 

I mean really, debating whether it's better that Kylo Ren took his mask off in the scene with Rey versus the scene with Han a few minutes later, or how the film is ruined because somehow the Millennium Falcon can make it past the Starkiller shields at light speed, or the precise nature of Kylo Ren's injuries that allowed Rey to barely defeat him? 

That stuff says we've got a great picture on our hands. Probably the third best Star Wars flick so far. 

I don't see many people challenging the core themes, the core structure, or the core characters of the film. Why? Because those are large, complicated, and difficult concepts to tackle. They require cognitive effort. Nitpicks don't. Nitpicks are easy to think about, easy to find, and easy to explicate. It's one thing to say "the movie would be better if Kylo Ren didn't take his helmet off." It's another thing to state and try to support, "the movie didn't need Kylo Ren at all." 

I think it's more that people can't be arsed to post long-winded comments about a film if they're not saying something enthusiastic about it. At least, that's my excuse.

16 minutes ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

Rey beating an injured and emotionally wrecked Kylo is completely uncontroversial.  Maybe Alexcremers, has spent too much time analyzing movies from his chair and forgotten how the real world works? 

Like me, I guess he must have missed those real-world lightsaber and force duels.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I know. I wasn't referring to you. If it wasn't called Star Wars, the movie would have been charged with plagiarism.

JJ Abrams said this: "One of the things that was really important for us in this movie was very purposefully going backwards to go forwards and to literally embrace a structure of starting in the desert and ending with a trench run…do something that felt like a step backwards in order to tell a brand new story with brand new characters.  Clarity of story was very important…this one I knew couldn’t be that."

2 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

No, but Chewie has.  

At least he didn't bite off more than he could Chewie. (Ok, that one was bad).

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why did she speak with a posh English accent anyway?

An English woman, an Irishman and a Scottsman all walked into a cantina, one became Rey, the other became Hux, and the last one became a space pirate. 

Saw it (thankfully in 2D) and was pleased as punch with the first half. The less said about the third act the better. Abrams gave the franchise the much needed million $ handjob, and one thing they did was to make it lighthearted which in lesser hands could have backfired.

Only real disappointment was Williams' a bit bland villain scoring. 

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Pretty sure the guy sounded Scottish, not Irish.

Straight out of Glasgow!

It's Emun Elliott.

11 hours ago, MikeTroxell said:

I wasn't expecting a cheer, but reports on Twitter from earlier showing had more raucous crowds.  I think 10am the next day was more subdued.

The Thursday night and the Friday afternoon shows I went to had raucous crowds. People clapped and hollered when the opening logo started, and cheered when the old characters first appeared. When Rey and Finn decided to pilot the 'junk' Millennium Falcon, folks cheered. When Han and Chewie enter the Millennium Falcon, people clapped. It went on.

The only characters people didn't cheer at their first appearance was Leia and Admiral Ackbar.

I'm probably alone in my opinion, but I cared fuckall about most of the new characters and once the old guys were introduced, I wished the movie had been about them.

When they showed the Falcon, the whole audience in my theater gasped at once, and my "Oh my God in Heaven" wasn't that loud. 

When the lights shone on Rey and a fallen Finn, I first assumed that Luke was rescuing them; my "no fucking way" was much louder. 

To the ten year old boy whose first Star Wars experience was tarnished by a man swearing behind him, I'm truly sorry, wherever you are. 

Saw it on Monday, some random thoughts:

- I liked it, didn't love it but then again I'm not a huge SW fan. Adored to bits the first act, the attack on the village and the perspective of a lost stormtrooper on the middle of the battle was new and interesting. Never before we thought of these guys as actual humans, so this was a nice addition. I thought in particular the first act was very well directed, some very creative and nice visual ideas, although I wish some shots would have lasted longer, like some of the stuff with Rey doing scavenger work. I think those parts could have beneffited more of a little air so to speak, but it's already a long movie, so it's understandable. 

- First time I've fallen in love with a fictional character. Goddamn, that Rey... Please marry me :wub:

- Harry was fucking excellent! I've read he was good but wasn't expecting him to be that good. I felt how they encountered the Falcon was kinda weird and forced, but when that was over, the chemistry between Han and the new kids was amazing. The dynamic between Han and Rey, fuck I wanted her to accept the co-pilot job Han offered her, imagine what a great movie that could've been. Ah, well.... I was also really suprised with Han and Finn, they were pretty damn entertaining and funny. Is it just the Harry magic that he can work with anyone?

- Also surprised at how loud the music was mixed! Not even with modern Spielberg we got this kind of presence of the music, front and center. Worked wonderfully, although there were some moments (particularly the final show) where I felt that JJ could have cut the picture to make the hit-points match better. Still, I was with a grin from ear to ear when the Jakku chases were taking place and I was (softly) tapping along with the Total Recall-ish rythm.

- I felt the movie lost a lot of steam after Han's death (great moment btw, though I was already spoiled about -didn't mind, sometimes spoilers don't bother me) but the fight between Kylo and Rey was quite chilling. Of course Rey's sudden domination of her powers made a little confused at first, but I guess that was kinda the point. Kylo had trained his whole life for this and then comes a nobody and defeats him. His frustration must be inmense. 

- The comedy was a little over the place, but some moments I liked were Han trying to negotiate with the two sides of the smugglers, "Where is my boyfriend?", the "and I will drop my gun" stormtrooper moment, Han having fun with Chewie's gun, the stormtroopers getting the fuck out of Kylo's way... There was one particular Finn moment that made me laugh out loud but I can't quite recall it.

I will see it again though, I think I might enjoy it more the second time but it's still good.