Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The similarity is only superficial.

"Rogue One" is probably the closest to MOH in that regard.

10 minutes ago, Will said:

Maybe I should actually go read Filmtracks. I don't really visit boards other than JWFan, but it might be nice to hear an alternative perspective on this score.

If that's the way you feel about, that's the way you feel about it. Is that the way you feel about it..?

9 minutes ago, Will said:

Maybe I should actually go read Filmtracks. I don't really visit boards other than JWFan, but it might be nice to hear an alternative perspective on this score.

We only fawn over John Williams scores here. J-O-H-N W-I-L-L-I-A-M-S. Got it?! Giacchino is poison.

;) 

15 minutes ago, Will said:

It's actually a good place for film music fans to start off. They're generally quite welcoming and supportive, so it helps for a general survey of the film music world and what's out there. But if you want more nuanced discussion and a more diverse range, JWFan's the place to stay.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Gia's quotations of The Imperial March were pretty awful imo. The Force Theme fared little better.

They all sound rather shoehorned. But I think that first statement of the Force theme on the album is the worst of the bunch.

The Jyn and Hope Suite is nice actually, and then its followed by the hokey Imperial Suite. The Guardians suite had a promising start before it strayed off into excess.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

It's actually a good place for film music fans to begin. They're generally quite welcoming and supportive, so it helps for a general survey of the film music world and what's out there. But if you want more nuanced discussion and a more diverse range, JWFan's the place to stay.

"Do", " awful", "poison". That's nuanced, and diverse, is it?

I read through the Filmtracks thread. It actually wasn't too positive, IMO. Maybe a little more positivity then here, but there's plenty of criticism or "it's okay." 

Two interesting things:

1) I was reminded of how TFA wasn't so well received at first listen by some. I'd be interested to know how those here reacted (I can't remember many specific reactions). 

2) I was reminded of the role of "Giacchino's scoring SW!" bias in positive reactions, i. e. amazement simply because we have a new score, maybe Gia will really hit it out of the park, etc. This probably played a role in my reaction. 

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Yes, we're all individual! :lol:

Everyone except Steef...and maybe BB. You can never tell, with spambots.

That's not me! Everything on there is a lie!

Though you may have accidentally stumbled upon my real name that one time...

On 12/15/2016 at 4:22 PM, Jay said:

20 The Imperial Suite 2:30

Is this a joke?  This is basically a pastiche of The Imperial March... like what someone would write if they were working on a project and asked to emulate the Imperial March because they weren't allowed to directly quote it.  This is a seriously weak theme, it sounds like a parody and not a true villain theme in a serious movie.  You have to wonder: Why not simply use the Imperial March in the scenes that use this theme?  Why is a third Imperial theme even necessary?  Extremely disappointed by this.

I actually noticed that in the film. Distracting!

Can't tell if you're joking Ioert, but I like the winds there too. The rest of the piece, I can do without.

2 minutes ago, loert said:

No, I'm not joking. I just wonder if people have more of a problem with it based on its context in the film/subject matter rather than with the quality of the music itself. Fair enough if you dislike it, though. I don't think it's brilliant but I enjoy listening to it. 

Exactly my thoughts.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I am Gandalf the White, and he's the Grey. Pretty different, if you ask me!

Well then who is TGP?

4 minutes ago, loert said:

I don't think it's brilliant but I enjoy listening to it. 

That's where I'm coming to.  I really dislike it in the film, but it's fine on album.  Not something I'll be returning to.  I certainly won't be listening to it hundreds of times in one year like I did with TFA!

Fair enough. As music itself, I find it grating on its own, but I've never been a fan of Gia's "villain themes" (which are usually inferior variations of familiar Williams triads anyway). I also find the theme's attempts at bridging into Williams' Imperial March awkward at best.

But I think it's the half-baked motif on 1:07 that I find particularly amateur-ish.

Haven't heard the thing in film though naturally.

It's obviously impossible, but I am curious what this score would sound like if Giacchino had had more time (i.e., do I find it lacking because he had to use his "first pass" for every cue). 

25 minutes ago, loert said:

I just wonder if people have more of a problem with it based on its context in the film/subject matter rather than with the quality of the music itself.

I think, it was like that to me. Yet to hear the score on the album.

I'm sure it was noted, but still, while watching the film I had mainly too problems with the score: 1. why are they using new Imperial march? They didn't want to pay Williams a fee or something? Otherwise it didn't make much sense to me. 2. Yeah, Jyn's theme was distractedly similar to something recently heard...

45 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well then who is TGP?

An imposter! He was the last of us to don the avatar!

I think that the imperial march is not used because since It apears full on esb, giacchino wanted to ackowledge that. I think the general consensus is that Vader in anh is not as high in imperial Commander and after anh he appears 'in ascension' and he is second in command that why the empire and he have the same theme.

I noticed in this film that krennic and tarkin had the same rank, tarkin gets his moff status after this film. Its probable Vader and tarkin are rivals and krennic is in the middle...favouring Vader It seems.

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think that the imperial march is not used because since It apears full on esb, giacchino wanted to ackowledge that. I think the general consensus is that Vader in anh is not as high in imperial Commander and after anh he appears 'in ascension' and he is second in command that why the empire and he have the same theme.

I noticed in this film that krennic and tarkin had the same rank, tarkin gets his moff status after this film. Its probable Vader and tarkin are rivals and krennic is in the middle...favouring Vader It seems.

1. You really think Anakin isn't the highest ranking Imperial officer after 20 years as Palpatine's Sith apprentice?

2. He's Grand Moff Tarkin in Episode IV literally a few in-universe hours after the end of Rogue One. He's gotta be "Moff" in R1 too, right?  That'd be weird if the got promoted in the few hours between when we see him here and on the Death Star in IV.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Desplat wussed out of following JW. 

This was the job no no one would do as well JW, but that needed to be done. 

Kudos to MG for stepping up. He at least protected the Star Wars sound from other alternatives. 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

But The Imperial March is used... 

And use of it at the end of Rogue One was better and more satisfying than any version of it we got in the prequels (excepting the gentle renditions in the end credits of 1 and 2). 

The one thing Gia did Trump JW on!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

1. You really think Anakin isn't the highest ranking Imperial officer after 20 years as Palpatine's Sith apprentice?

2. He's Grand Moff Tarkin in Episode IV literally a few in-universe hours after the end of Rogue One. He's gotta be "Moff" in R1 too, right?  That'd be weird if the got promoted in the few hours between when we see him here and on the Death Star in IV.

Its not my theory, i dont really believe that but leía describes Vader as tarkins dog.

And yes when finally tarkin takes full control of the death star and inthe Grace of the emperor he is promoted...

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Its not my theory, i dont really believe that but leía describes Vader as tarkins dog.

And yes when finally tarkin takes full control of the death star and inthe Grace of the emperor he is promoted...

1. Yeah that line always seemed weird after Revenge of the Sith but who knows, anything can be explained

2. Weird!