The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

9 minutes ago, azahid said:

I counted at least between 80-100 choir members

The piece is indeed scored for full SATB symphony choir (which can be variable in size, usuallty 40 to 60 people), plus children's chorus (usually around 20 people). Since they recorded in a quite large venue, it's likely they beefed up the total size.

Let's hope the recording does justice to these large ensembles.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:38 AM, azahid said:

VEVO has also put the AMISTAD track online.

The track is identical to the Dudamel's conducted concert performance in the 'Williams Celebration' Blu ray DVD.

link here:

http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-john-williams-ultimate-collection-clip#amistad

Fyi the tracks are also being uploaded on Sony Classical VEVO's YouTube channel, along with the behind-the-scenes videos.

It's a busy end of winter for me... a new Roy Orbison CD/Blu-ray (A Black & White Night 30)... a new live CD from Charles Aznavour (Olympia 1976), and this new boxset...  As I maintain a songs catalog/discography for each one, I'm happy not to follow any other artist!

4 hours ago, Will said:

So, just to confirm, @Jay, the only (legal) way to get the documentary is by buying the entire physical CD set?

The iTunes listing at https://itunes.apple.com/tr/album/john-williams-steven-spielberg-the-ultimate-collection/id1205669744

shows the documentary at the bottom as a video file, unless this is tentative and not the final product.

17 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

The iTunes listing at https://itunes.apple.com/tr/album/john-williams-steven-spielberg-the-ultimate-collection/id1205669744

shows the documentary at the bottom as a video file, unless this is tentative and not the final product.

Ah, you're right! Interesting. 

It looks like iTunes has a $16.99 version with only the music and a $19.99 version with the music plus digital booklet and documentary. 

Another question for anyone who knows: Would this album be composed of protected iTunes files? I.e. would it be possible to copy them to the desktop, or would I only be able to play them in iTunes with a specific account? 

What about Amazon digital music? 

Are people still discuss alternate ways to get the stuff that you only have to buy the f*** CD boxset to get it?

51 minutes ago, Will said:

Ah, you're right! Interesting. 

It looks like iTunes has a $16.99 version with only the music and a $19.99 version with the music plus digital booklet and documentary. 

Another question for anyone who knows: Would this album be composed of protected iTunes files? I.e. would it be possible to copy them to the desktop, or would I only be able to play them in iTunes with a specific account? 

What about Amazon digital music? 

None of the major digital stores sell DRM music anymore.  Once you buy it you can do whatever you want with it.

But why would you buy this digitally instead of the nice box set, anyway?  That's madness!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

But why would you buy this digitally instead of the nice box set, anyway?  That's madness!

Well, speaking for myself, it's a simple matter of economics. Due to a weakend currency and the escalating cost of overseas shipping, I simply can no longer afford to buy physical media. The download sells for a fraction of the cost, and as much as I would prefer to buy physical media (with lossless uncompressed audio), I am not in a position to do so at present.

Yeah, I think the remark was probably more directed at people like me who live in the U.S. and can get cheap shipping (and, in this specific case for me, probably free), so actually the box set would only set me back $5 more than the digital. 

The other consideration for me, of course, is the fact that I somehow need to scrape together the money for the promised JW item(s) due later this year (assuming I understood that Jurassic Park podcast correctly)!

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well, speaking for myself, it's a simple matter of economics. Due to a weakend currency and the escalating cost of overseas shipping, I simply can no longer afford to buy physical media. The download sells for a fraction of the cost, and as much as I would prefer to buy physical media (with lossless uncompressed audio), I am not in a position to do so at present.

Sure, but I wasn't talking about all people, I was talking specifically about Will.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Not if you already have the first two volumes.

Yeah I admit I am bit miffed that I have to re-buy the two previous discs that I already own to get this new one. I would have loved a single disc release with the DVD as bonus but from Sony's point of view  I do see the sense in selling all three discs in a single package.

Why yes. That is how business sort of works.

Which makes it all the more galling. But hey I bought the Sony's JW 80th birthday tribute CD just for the Happy Birthday Variations. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Not if you already have the first two volumes.

Yes, but, again, I wasn't talking about the general populace, my post was to Will specifically, who does not own the first 2 CDs.

Yes!

Jason, we are off the generation that would prefer to buy a CD over a download. Will if of the generation who prefers a download. If the specialty were able to release their stuff in FLAC, that's what he would go for.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Please, do not add apostrophes to things you are pluralizing!

I've noticed that sometimes I need to when pluralizing uncommon two letter abbreviations in Outlook and Word to keep it from think it's the dreaded double capital letter typo. VA's versus Vas. 

6 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

I've noticed that sometimes I need to when pluralizing uncommon two letter abbreviations in Outlook and Word to keep it from think it's the dreaded double capital letter typo. VA's versus Vas. 

Outlook/Word auto correct is hopeless anyway. Keeps changing "of the" to "oft he" for me.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You see!

But if you're typing your JWFan posts using Outlook or Word and then posting them here...shit, why would you do that? 

Well, I just bought the box set. And apparently it's going to arrive March 23-25. :(

I guess it only arrives on release date if you have Prime. 

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Luckily you'll have a digital copy immediately thanks to autorip

Actually this one doesn't seem to have auto rip. 

But I'll definitely be able to listen on March 17, of course, that's not a problem. It will probably be posted to YouTube or Spotify, and if not there are other ways. ;)

I just don't like how by the time the CD arrives the initial glow of the release will already be worn off and it won't be as exciting. Same thing happened with my The BFG CD. 

While we have some flavour of the album with tracks from RAIDERS and AMISTAD. I'll probably refrain from further samples. I want to be taken by the whole fresh new listening experience. The tracks I'm particularly looking forward to is the 'Hymn' from SAVING PRIVATE RYAN,  THE WAR HORSE and the two variations from LINCOLN.