"2018 is gonna be one for the books", says LLL regarding JW

phbart

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

I never saw any 7-CD boxset.... Normally it's 3 or 4... then 9, 10, 12... 

I would prefer a separate set for each movie.

Just type in 7-cd on amazon. 

Hundreds of results!

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Except for remastering two already-good recordings by making them sound like dried-out, older recordings... 

For a minute I thought you were talking about ESB...

Anyway, what's wrong with the JP and TLW sound from the 2016 release?

1 hour ago, phbart said:

For a minute I thought you were talking about ESB...

Anyway, what's wrong with the JP and TLW sound from the 2016 release?

It's nowhere near as bad as complete ESB. The JP and TLW remasters feel very dry to me, and the sections don't quite sound organic. It sounds like they separated the sources, did some touch-ups to make things sound more refined, and put them back into the mix. I feel that this is unnecessary for recordings that already sound very good in their original form, and actually makes the final product sound older. The original JP recording was a tad bit archival, while TLW's original album hasn't aged a day in terms of mixing quality.

The most egregious example of my dissatisfaction of LLL's remasters would be the Batman albums. The Batman OST still sounds great. The LLL version separated everything in the mix to make it surround sound-ish and center-heavy, at the expense of it sounding like an organic performance. The Batman Returns remaster was given the same treatment, but its original recording is rather dull compared to its predecessor. I prefer the sound of both of the original releases. The LLL Batman Forever sounds much better than those two.

The JP albums are like this but much milder. My point is that we are coming to into a time where the original recordings sound so good that remastering them might be detrimental. The SW prequels and the HP trilogy prequels sound great how they are and I don't want them tampered with in the future.

6 hours ago, Drew said:

It's nowhere near as bad as complete ESB. The JP and TLW remasters feel very dry to me, and the sections don't quite sound organic. It sounds like they separated the sources, did some touch-ups to make things sound more refined, and put them back into the mix. I feel that this is unnecessary for recordings that already sound very good in their original form, and actually makes the final product sound older. The original JP recording was a tad bit archival, while TLW's original album hasn't aged a day in terms of mixing quality.

The most egregious example of my dissatisfaction of LLL's remasters would be the Batman albums. The Batman OST still sounds great. The LLL version separated everything in the mix to make it surround sound-ish and center-heavy, at the expense of it sounding like an organic performance. The Batman Returns remaster was given the same treatment, but its original recording is rather dull compared to its predecessor. I prefer the sound of both of the original releases. The LLL Batman Forever sounds much better than those two.

The JP albums are like this but much milder. My point is that we are coming to into a time where the original recordings sound so good that remastering them might be detrimental. The SW prequels and the HP trilogy prequels sound great how they are and I don't want them tampered with in the future.

The orchestral instruments of the TLW OST are quite muffled and the percussion is too dominant. You can't tell me that you prefer it over the new detailed and clear mix that gives you the impression of a real orchestra playing in your living room.

I would have agreed with if you were talking about The Mummy. I made a comparison of the old and the new mix and the OST tracks do not sound inferior in any way regarding clarity and the level of detail. The only difference is the mix itself - which is inconsistent, partly too hot and even distorted at times.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Can't we at least agree that there's nothing better than "The Trek" and be pals?

Initially I thought you're talking about Star Trek! 😂 

Yeah, The Trek is great, but surely not the best from that score! I mean, The Hunt, Rescuing Sarah, Ludlow's Speech, The Lost World, The Stegosaurus etc.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, The Trek is great, but surely not the best from that score! I mean, The Hunt, Rescuing Sarah, Ludlow's Speech, The Lost World, The Stegosaurus etc.

The Trek is certainly better than Ludlow's Speech and The Lost World.

I like the JP from LLL over the OST and the 192kHz 24bit 2013 digital release, even though the LLL cames from the same 2013 transfer and all three releases doesn't sound radically different from each other. But I do prefer the edits and track order from the OST. TLW souns better, without a doubt. And it plays better in the C&C configuration.

The Batman LLL release... usually the 2014 remaster is better than the 2010, but a few tracks sounds better to my ears on the 2010 release.

I think my issue with some of these remasters is that touching up sections with better clarity makes them all sound drier than they were originally. Perhaps they should add a hint of reverb in each section before putting everything back together.

38 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It doesn't sound dry! You want dry, go listen to Rogue One!

It sounds like a wet recording stripped of its external wetness from being touched up. So, kinda dry.

Each instrument and section sounds more isolated and spread out from the room / ensemble sound in these remasters. When you do this, you lose some of the wetness that the original had. When I say dry, I am referring to how each individual instrument and section sound. Collectively, they sound a bit weird when placed into a wet mixing soundscape. The difference between this and Rogue One, etc. is that RO has the whole soundscape mixed and positioned in respect to a dry mix.

It remains me how the Garrian samples in Finale sound before I apply reverb effects. Every instrument stands out and it does not sound like an ensemble. JP sounds a lot better than Finale, of course.

Nothing for October. However, there is November to look forward to, as well as Black Friday. Schindler’s List will be in December. I still have Amistad in my mind for some reason, as well as Superman. However, while I am hoping for the Maestro’s three Harry Potter scores, I am starting to doubt that will be released this year. I could be wrong, though.