Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea, but is that a movie worth watching over and over again?

Well, i love the whole atmosphere and the music. If you ask me, I'd say yes. Isn't that the same with soundtracks? You know how the music is going, yet you listen multiple times if you like it.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Enter The Dragon 4K restoration is coming too

I have never seen a Bruce Lee film.

Although I do like my occasional Jean Claude Van Damme movies, I don't know, karate films seem silly to me. Or am I wrong and I am missing some masterpieces?

I dunno, I saw this film in college and enjoyed it!  I have no iea what I'd think of it now

Seeing Bruce Lee killing poser  Chuck Norris was amazing.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Well, i love the whole atmosphere and the music. 

How is the score? Can the Director actually compose?

37 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

How is the score? Can the Director actually compose?

You haven't heard it?

Yes, of course he can! It was surprising really that he can direct and compose too!

Haven't you seen the film? Oh, you should definitely see it!

I saw it on DVD around the time in was released, and still have it in my collection. One of the marketplaces I buy used CDs from has the OST for sale for small change so I've been thinking about picking it up. How is it as a listen away from the film?

16 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

How is it as a listen away from the film?

Music that can stand on its own! Unlike many soundtracks of today.

Even the "action" atonal passages are great!

Maybe you should listen to the cd before you get it?

On 20/07/2023 at 1:44 PM, filmmusic said:

I don't know if you have read it or not, but The Others is coming in 4k from Criterion!

https://www.criterion.com/films/33636-the-others

2vsUrUwC5Ehh8fQ4dBnkbMkVDEwOEg_large.jpg

Love this movie, it has such a cool atmosphere. And the score is quite good.

Karol

34 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I bought the Blu-Ray but it's really grainy. 4K might expose the grain even more.

Great! I love grain!

But I'm not so sure.

If the 4k restoration is from the original negative, and the blu-ray was coming from a print, there will be less grain.

On 20/07/2023 at 7:43 PM, filmmusic said:

You haven't heard it?

Yes, of course he can! It was surprising really that he can direct and compose too!

Haven't you seen the film? Oh, you should definitely see it!

his score for Mar adentro is good (the end titles being clearly based on certain performances by Carlos Núñez, who also plays in it i think)

i have to wonder about where this concert suite comes from , did Alejandro write it?

he's also quite the JW fan.

On 20/07/2023 at 2:58 PM, Jay said:

Yea, but is that a movie worth watching over and over again?

I watched The Others twice and the second time was every bit as good as the first time. Like others have said, the atmosphere/mood is really good as well as the direction. I remember thinking there is something Kubrick-esque about it. Turns out Spielberg, Cameron and Kubrick are his favorite directors. 

On 20/7/2023 at 10:17 AM, Jay said:

There are so many movies I've never seen, I almost always choose to watch a movie I've never seen before over one I've already seen.

But how do you protect yourself from The Horrors if you don’t watch your favorite movies in an endless repeating stream? Don’t flaunt your mental health in front of me, sir.

On 02/08/2023 at 5:21 PM, crocodile said:

I imagine it will be the same exact transfer as the Criterion one.

with better encode hopefully since Criterion is not strong in that department!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A lot of effort goes into restoring a film's picture, but not enough in restoring its sound.

If a film can be remixed in 5.1, then I think that it should be, allowing the viewer the option to watch the film in its original mix, as well.

At the very least, if the score is in stereo, then it should be in either 2.0, or 5.1, or both, and isolated, as well.

Has anyone said anything about Cinderella? I'm not as much interested in the film as much as I am that Disney seems to be back in the "The original film like you've NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE" business and on physical media.

55 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I don't think the film itself has been truly restored. That only happens with movies with the status of a Lawrence Of Arabia.

Well, that's unacceptable.

All films should be treated with equal respect (no, I'm not joking! Bloody cheek).

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the new release of Cutthroat Island last night. I've only seen the second half of it before on TV many years ago. I remember not minding it then and, to be honest, I didn't think it was terrible this time either. To be quite frank, it is a better movie than something like Independence Day. Cheesy, over the top, but quite charming for the most part. I see nothing really wrong with it. It looks and sounds really good too on the 4K disc. And has a bunch of interesting extras.

John Debney gets a 30-minute featurette in which he talks about his experiences. There's no archival footage of recording or anything like that but still quite interesting. 

Quality release actually.

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched the new release of Cutthroat Island last night. I've only seen the second half of it before on TV many years ago. I remember not minding it then and, to be honest, I didn't think it was terrible this time either. To be quite frank, it is a better movie than something like Independence Day. Cheesy, over the top, but quite charming for the most part. I see nothing really wrong with it. It looks and sounds really good too on the 4K disc. And has a bunch of interesting extras.

I love the film, great popcorn flick and a terrific score. I'll take this type of 90s fare over the shite being churned out nowadays.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

It looks and sounds really good too on the 4K disc

I wanted to buy it too, but it leans a bit on the yellow side.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=18444&d2=18443&s1=215496&s2=215457&i=0&l=0

Anyway, I'll buy I guess..

Cameron Confirms “The Abyss” 4K Is Coming

“I’ve completed the transfer, all the mastering is done, I think it drops pretty soon like… in a couple of months or something like that. So it’s out of my hands at this point.  There’s a lot of added material that they’re sticking in there, and will be available on streaming simultaneously. But I didn’t just want to look at the old HD transfer. I wanted to do it right.”

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Didn't we previously hear that it would be out this past March?

Yeah, I won't believe it until I see it.

And I hope he hasn't tealed and degrained the film, like Terminator 2 UHD!