Star Wars Disenchantment

John

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What is the purpose of this thread again? People are discussing the heat in Texas and the bleakness in their bedroom, but why "absorb all the hostility"?

The purpose of the thread to ridicule people who criticize Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

AC is good for keeping the temperature down in Spring but once you get past a certain point (May) it won't get down to the set temperature until midnight or so (if that).  Choosing between indoors and outdoors is choosing whether to be boiled or baked.  

It does get a lot nicer in Fall/Winter though.

Of course, on a 40+ degree day, it's not good to crank the AC to 20 degrees. Best to make it 25 or else you'll overwork the poor thing. It'll love you more and last longer.

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

The purpose of the thread to ridicule people who criticize Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

As creator of this thread (despite the insistence of certain snivelling, coattails riding twerps who share a name with this forum's namesake), I feel at authority to claim that this thread is a microcosm of the ever changing state of the universe, and all that reside within it: a perpetual chyrsalis and hatching, an eternal lotus flower that propagates seeds as it blooms.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

As creator of this thread (despite the insistence of certain snivelling, coattails riding twerps who share a name with this forum's namesake), I feel at authority to claim that this thread is a microcosm of the ever changing state of the universe, and all that reside within it: a perpetual chyrsalis and hatching, an eternal lotus flower that propagates seeds as it blooms.

So you are even retconning the TLJ criticisms out of existence.

6 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

So you are even retconning the TLJ criticisms out of existence.

The Last Jedi criticisms are waves in the ocean, infinite in number, impossible to count. However, the ocean is but one part of the planet is but one part of the solar system is but one part of the galaxy is but one part of the universe. Infinity within infinity. All that is born and lives dies, fuelling the cycle of further birth and new life.

It is this constant flux that is the heart of this thread. 

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It says the bama guy John is the author

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Because he's a filthy lying son of a bitch who should be impaled and thrown into a rotisserie then eaten alive by rabid hyenas with sulfuric acid laced fangs! 

We are the authors of our own existence, but who are the authors for our interactions between people? 

24 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What is the purpose of this thread again? People are discussing the heat in Texas and the bleakness in their bedroom, but why "absorb all the hostility"?

Hostility? Have you ever been in 40c+ heat w/90% humidity? I'lll show you hostility. If this thread had a thermometer, the mercury would be busting', Mr. Buster Brown.

Ever wonder why revolutions always seem to start in summer? People are hot & p*ssed off.  

35 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

The Last Jedi criticisms are waves in the ocean, infinite in number, impossible to count. However, the ocean is but one part of the planet is but one part of the solar system is but one part of the galaxy is but one part of the universe. Infinity within infinity. All that is born and lives dies, fuelling the cycle of further birth and new life.

It is this constant flux that is the heart of this thread. 

IMG_4857.GIF

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Ever wonder why revolutions always seem to start in summer?

Ha!

Almost ever major conflict in the Middle East over the last two millennia has happened in summer time: either because during the winter people can't be bothered, or - in pre-gun-powder times - because most bows wouldn't function in the rain.

16 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Ha!

Almost ever major conflict in the Middle East over the last two millennia has happened in summer time: either because during the winter people can't be bothered, or - in pre-gun-powder times - because most bows wouldn't function in the rain.

I wasn't kidding. I had a history prof in grad school who I think wrote his thesis on that...the correlation between weather & civil unrest.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Because he's a filthy lying son of a bitch who should be impaled and thrown into a rotisserie then eaten alive by rabid hyenas with sulfuric acid laced fangs! 

We are the authors of our own existence, but who are the authors for our interactions between people? 

I have only one issue with the sentence, it is difficult to read with the line through it otherwise it seems truthful enough.

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Best to make it 25 or else you'll overwork the poor thing. It'll love you more and last longer.

That's how I feel about my servants.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Nick started this thread, but Jay added in some extra posts from the Solo thread, of which John's was the oldest.

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I wasn't kidding. I had a history prof in grad school who I think wrote his thesis on that...the correlation between weather & civil unrest.

Here in Chicago it is a grim and all-too-well-known fact that when the weather gets warm, more people get shot. Last month we had a whole week of 80° weather, and 85 people got shot.

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Here in Chicago it is a grim and all-too-well-known fact that when the weather gets warm, more people get shot. Last month we had a whole week of 80° weather, and 85 people got shot.

What part of Chicago do you live in, amigo? I lived pretty close to the McKinley Park area, so fortunately I was relatively safe from a lot of the rougher stuff going on.

49 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

People are allowed to have and able to afford guns.

Most of the people committing street murder in Chicago are neither "allowed to have" guns, or walking into a gun shop and buying them. It has nothing to do with what they can afford.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

We have plenty of guns.

Chicago has more.

And many more ethnicities 

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

What part of Chicago do you live in, amigo? I lived pretty close to the McKinley Park area, so fortunately I was relatively safe from a lot of the rougher stuff going on.

We recently moved to NW Indiana, but my wife and I still work downtown.

Oh absolutely, Chicago crime contrasts hugely from one neighborhood to the next. I feel way safer in the safer parts of Chicago than I do anywhere in San Francisco.

One's a dumb but in some aspects fun and lovingly made film, one is a terrible boring pile of shite, and one is a royal mess with some damn good parts and some of the worst scenes in the entire trilogy.

Why the hell are we back to this again?

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

Why the hell are we back to this again?

Because with death brings new life:

22 minutes ago, Holko said:

One's a dumb but in some aspects fun and lovingly made film, one is a terrible boring pile of shite, and one is a royal mess with some damn good parts and some of the worst scenes in the entire trilogy.

When I was a kid and read some of the synopses, I stayed away from almost all of the Star Wars books that took place after Return of the Jedi because I thought things just got too weird and depressing.

3 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Those aren't even movies. They're just words on paper.

Words, words, words.

25 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

They turned the biggest badass in the galaxy into an idiot douchebag.

Now, there's an image :lol:

4 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Those aren't even movies. They're just words on paper.

What are movies, if not tricks of light?

3 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

The Thrawn Trilogy is not weird or depressing.

I checked out when I started reading about all of this stuff like some weird aliens called the Yuuzhan Vhong or whatever came out of nowhere and started wrecking up the place, and Chewie dying...I thought, "Yeah, this isn't why I got into Star Wars, no thanks."

KotOR (tha games and the comics) remain my favourite thing to come out of the EU, and since they take place ~3600 or something years before the Battle of Yavin, I have no problem imagining they're canon.

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I checked out when I started reading about all of this stuff like some weird aliens called the Yuuzhan Vhong or whatever came out of nowhere and started wrecking up the place, and Chewie dying...I thought, "Yeah, this isn't why I got into Star Wars, no thanks."

That’s something totally different.

42 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

That’s something totally different.

Right, I was clarifying my statement. I'm not familiar with the Thrawn Trilogy (or rather, I'm sure I was back in the day, but have completely forgotten it).

13 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Why do people here hate the prequels so much?

They don't. They just don't seem to want to admit they enjoy them. Weirdly, even Alexcremers seems to compliment them.

13 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Why do people here hate the prequels so much?

Because it's fashionable to do so. I think everyone can clearly see the prequels as being a tad bit messy, with some terrible dialogue, wooden acting/direction - but they managed to stand tall with some great visual effects for the time, production design and, of course, John Williams' scores - which I believe are more engaging than the sequel trilogy scores thus far.