Star Wars Disenchantment

John

14 minutes ago, Demodex said:

But they're more watchable than the prequels. 

They're kinda boring though, and not very quotable aside from a few lines here and there.

Unfortunately the Disney SW films have a low quote value. Much like the newer Star Trek movies.

I agree that the saga was complete after Episode 6. It's Anakin's story, not his grandkid's story.  That's why I was not thrilled that hey were making another trilogy. 

I enjoy all the Disney SW films, but none of them were necessary. 

Ironically my least favorite, Rogue One, is the most relevant to the saga. 

I disagree, Chen. As individual films, The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens both end with the story completely unresolved and questions galore. A conclusion is absolutely necessary.

Just now, Mattris said:

I disagree. As individual films, The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens both end with the story completely unresolved. They absolutely require a conclusion to have been worth the journey.

The same could be said about Episodes 1 and 2. 

3 minutes ago, Demodex said:

And Empire? I mean this is kind of the deal.

1 minute ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I don't even like movies anymore or soundtracks.

Bruh.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Are any movies really necessary

Yes they are. Really dumb question.

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

And Empire? I mean this is kind of the deal.

But Empire didn't need a fantastic follow up to be worth watching. It itself is excellent. 

1 minute ago, Demodex said:

No, they are not. If all of a sudden there were no more movies being made we'd survive with no problem. 

Well that I agree with. We'd find other ways to entertain ourselves. 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Don't be so sure about that. What about all those kids that are conceived at movie theatres?

We are over-populated as it is. 

Sorry but thats just plain stupid.

Film and video generated nearly 150 billion world wide not considering the ancillary revenue generated by side businesses associated with the film industry

16 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I disagree, Chen. As individual films, The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens both end with the story completely unresolved and questions galore. A conclusion is absolutely necessary.

Hence the trilogy. That's how it works.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Don't be so sure about that. What about all those kids that are conceived at movie theatres?

They'll be none the wiser.

6 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Sorry but thats just plain stupid.

Film and video generated nearly 150 billion world wide not considering the ancillary revenue generated by side businesses associated with the film industry

In a hypothetical world based on survival, no-one really cares about billions of dollars.

29 minutes ago, John said:

I don't care if the sequels are "necessary"; I like these characters and want to see more of them. That's all that really matters in my mind

I can respect that outlook, and like I said, as individual films they're perfectly fine.

However, in my view, all stories, if they're good, have a beginning, a middle and an end. The story of Star Wars as a series has a beginning: you can say its in the original Star Wars, in The Phantom Menace, whatever. It kinda has a middle, and it has a lackluster but recognizable end, that being the end of Return of the Jedi.

It all depends on the person; for me, Star Wars isn't a three part-structured story, I ignore the prequels entirely. The meat of the story is the OT, and the ST is an optional continuation/epilogue of that narrative.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It kinda has a middle, and it has a lackluster but recognizable end, that being the end of Return of the Jedi.

What better way to end than with an awesome Ewok barbecue party?

On 28/03/2019 at 2:00 PM, Demodex said:

On 28/03/2019 at 2:16 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Hence the trilogy. That's how it works.

The difference is, Episodes 1 and 2 were prequels. Those who had watched the OT knew that Anakin would become Darth Vader and align with Palpatine to destroy the Jedi Order. Apart from finding out that Palpatine lied to Anakin (surprise!) to turn him to the Dark Side, Episode 3 is not required viewing.

Few would say that, individually, Episodes 1 and 2 are "fine" as individual films. Conversely, few would say that Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are not "fine" films without Return of the Jedi.

Regarding the Sequel Trilogy so far, we have not been told who Rey is... or why the Force awakened in her... or why Luke Skywalker acted so against character with Ben. While The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens may be entertaining in isolation, without a fully-explanatory IX, they are not "fine" as parts of the overall narrative of the saga.

32 minutes ago, John said:

for me, Star Wars isn't a three part-structured story, I ignore the prequels entirely. The meat of the story is the OT, and the ST is an optional continuation/epilogue of that narrative.

You can ignore the prequels  and still experience Star Wars as a story with a beginning, a sort-of middle and an end. You can ignore just The Phantom Menace and see it a story which begins in Attack of the Clones; you can ignore the original Star Wars and experience it as a duology. In all those combinations, it still has a sense of an overarching narrative of some kind.

To me, that's the only artistic reason to serialize a piece of film. Characters are only interesting so far as they serve a story. If they weren't - and film was just an excuse to spend two hours with a set of characters - we'd flock to watch a mockumentary of Luke's daily routine, and we clearly don't.

In no iteration, however, does the sequel trilogy key into this structure. It doesn't even work as an epilogue: its longer than either previous trilogies!

44 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Regarding the Sequel Trilogy so far, we have not been told who Rey is...

The whole point is that she isnt anyone special. She doesnt come from royalty, or Jedi. The Force can flow through anyone.

The fact that the Prequels show that there are so very many Jedi, kinda already showcased that.

Just now, Stefancos said:

The fact that the Prequels show that there are so very many Jedi, kinda already showcased that.

which, in turn, makes it a none-comment, really.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I would rather Rey be no one then that she's Han's secret daughter, or Luke's, or Chewies cousin or whatever

Oh, I agree.

But the idea The Force isn't exclusive to the Jedi (a shorthand for egalitarianism, really) was always a given, so there was no point making a statement out of it in The Last Jedi.

31 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The whole point is that she isnt anyone special. She doesnt come from royalty, or Jedi. The Force can flow through anyone.

But that's just it: Rey is someone special. Many fans are expecting Episode IX to explain why the Force awakened in her, specifically. Who's to say she didn't come from royalty or Jedi? We'll see what JJ Abrams and his co-writers come up with.

Since the Force is an "energy field created by all living things", yes, it can flow through anyone. But only those who possess a significant number of midiclorians - and listen to them - can use the Force.

7 minutes ago, Mattris said:

it can flow through anyone. But only those who possess a significant number of midiclorians - and listen to them - can use the Force.

It doesn't flow through everyone, but it does flow through people who do not belong to some lineage.

If you're going for a raggs-to-riches story, the better to make your character a nobody.

The fact that she's quite as powerful as she is, now that's another matter.

16 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It doesn't flow through everyone, but it does flow through people who do not belong to some lineage.

If you're going for a raggs-to-riches story, the better to make your character a nobody.

I don't think the story of Rey is going to be a rags-to-riches one. If Rey is a "nobody", the Sequel Trilogy will be remembered as a disappointment.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anakin was a nobody, and so could Rey be.

Anakin wasn't a nobody. One of the newer Star Wars comics shows that Palpatine created him. That's one of the main reasons I think Palpatine created Rey.

13 minutes ago, Demodex said:

The only thing that makes sense is that she's a Skywalker somehow, which will ruin the whole point of TLJ. 

The point of TLJ was to subvert the viewers' expectations by killing Snoke and Luke in unexpected ways, as well as by suggesting that Rey is a "no one". I'm confident that Kylo was either lying to Rey to tempt her to join him... or he was reading her mind and knows no more than she does about her family and past.

Mark my words, Rey's origin has yet to be explained.