Star Wars Disenchantment

John

It wasn't related to Rey.  The Aftermath novels kind of poorly explain it.  I think we're going to get an explanation about Rey, but it's not going to be Palpatine.

On 27/03/2019 at 12:23 AM, Fabulin said:

What is that blue wind after Palpatine dies?

The blue wind happens just a few seconds after Palpatine was tossed in the pit - long before his body would have hit the bottom. Perhaps that the blue wind was the visual sign that Palpatine had transferred his life force out of his body... to his Contingency project on Jakuu.

20 hours ago, Mattris said:

Sam Witwer voiced Palpatine during the Star Wars Rebels Season 2 premiere. Ian McDiarmid returned for episodes in Season 4.

My point is that his recent increased presence is curious.

Isn't Ian McDiarmid a fan favourite? I remember when Star Wars fans were so happy when he voiced the Emperor is Season 4, and his role in the Prequels is one of the highlights. I think people just like him, and his involvement in Star Wars has been in two of the main trilogies, and a TV show. And he has been going to Star Wars celebrations for a while. He's always been pretty busy.

27 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Isn't Ian McDiarmid a fan favourite? I remember when Star Wars fans were so happy when he voiced the Emperor is Season 4, and his role in the Prequels is one of the highlights. I think people just like him, and his involvement in Star Wars has been in two of the main trilogies, and a TV show. And he has been going to Star Wars celebrations for a while. He's always been pretty busy.

Hes been going to Celebrations since 2012 or 2013 iirc 

22 hours ago, Mattris said:

Sam Witwer voiced Palpatine during the Star Wars Rebels Season 2 premiere. Ian McDiarmid returned for episodes in Season 4.

My point is that his recent increased presence is curious.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the Clone Wars for some reason.

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

It looks like Rey repaired her lightsaber. Hopefully, the film can do the same for the trilogy... and fandom.

I don't know how she'd fix the one that blew up. 

And the trilogy is fine. It doesn't need fixing. 

8 hours ago, Demodex said:

I don't know how she'd fix the one that blew up. 

And the trilogy is fine. It doesn't need fixing. 

You can see a brown strap around the area it snapped in half. As long as the kyber crystal wasn't damaged, a lightsaber repair manual within the Jedi texts should be enough for the do-it-all Rey to put it back together.

Don't kid yourself. TFA and TLJ are not "fine" without a worthy (and plot-hole-filling) conclusion. My 'Palpatine theory' could make sense of things and lead to an ultimately powerful climax and conclusion of the saga. Anything less, and this sequel trilogy will not have been worth it to significant percentage of fans.

24 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Anything less, and this sequel trilogy will not have been worth it to significant percentage of fans.

But will Disney give a fuck once the box office soars past 2 billion?

The box office profits - or losses in the case of SOLO - are not that important for Disney. The most important factor is keeping the vast majority of Star Wars fans on-board, which will result in long-term health of the franchise. Like it or not, many people - I estimate about half of the fans - are not impressed with Disney's handling so far. The lackluster SW merchandise sales are an indication of this.

If Palpatine does not return in IX in some significant way, I'll be absolutely shocked if it makes TFA money.

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

The box office profits - or losses in the case of SOLO - are not that important for Disney. The most important factor is keeping the vast majority of Star Wars fans on-board, which will result in long-term health of the franchise. Like it or not, many people - I estimate about half of the fans - are not impressed with Disney's handling so far. The lackluster SW merchandise sales are an indication of this.

If Palpatine does not return in IX in some significant way, I'll be absolutely shocked if it makes TFA money.

Take this to the disenfranchisement thread. 

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

I'll be absolutely shocked if it makes TFA money.

We'll have to see how Endgame does, but apart from that, nothing in the near future will make TFA money. Nothing. Even Infinity War didn't quite surpass it. For another SW film to come even close, we'd need another multiple decade hiatus.

Just now, Holko said:

Because it wasn't the prequels?

Still, the brand was weakened significantly from prequel bashing, which logically should have resulted in a lot of caution from audiences recoiling at the thought of a repeat of experiencing more films with their level of corniness and hammy acting. And yet they didn't! They flocked to create an unprecedented $250+ million opening weekend. I can't work it out.

I grew up with the OT so it was a big deal. 

I wasn't excited at all about the new trilogy until I saw that trailer. Even then I was skeptical but figured it couldn't be worse than the prequels. 

Either you edited or I didn't see you were asking about the George Lucas part. I would assume a lot of people knew that Lucas sold everything to Disney. It was pretty big news. But when the trailers still have the Lucasfilm logo I guess a lot of people would have assumed Lucas had something to do with this trilogy.

So that was probably not as big of a draw as OMG Han and Chewie are on the Falcon again!!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

We'll have to see how Endgame does, but apart from that, nothing in the near future will make TFA money. Nothing. Even Infinity War didn't quite surpass it. For another SW film to come even close, we'd need another multiple decade hiatus.

Alita's profits may suggest otherwise, but I'd suggest not to underestimate James Cameron's Avatar sequels when it comes to revenue. The man's the god of the box-office.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Because it wasn't the prequels?

More accurately, because it was prequels. People treat prequels and sequels differently.

Harrison Ford was responsible for part of TFA’s box office. That’s why his roll was the largest of the original characters. I’d say his character is the most popular of the main 3.

57 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Harrison Ford was responsible for part of TFA’s box office. That’s why his roll was the largest of the original characters. I’d say his character is the most popular of the main 3.

For die hard fans it's all about Luke though

On 28/03/2019 at 7:14 AM, Demodex said:

Take this to the disenfranchisement thread. 

You said, "the trilogy is fine. It doesn't need fixing." To which I replied, "TFA and TLJ are not "fine" without a worthy (and plot-hole-filling) conclusion. My 'Palpatine theory' could make sense of things and lead to an ultimately powerful climax and conclusion of the saga. Anything less, and this sequel trilogy will not have been worth it to significant percentage of fans." This comment received a like... and it is true. I'll post where I please, thank you very much.

On 28/03/2019 at 7:30 AM, Holko said:

Or, you know, they could just make a great Star Wars movie, liked by (nearly) every one.

On 28/03/2019 at 7:44 AM, dougie said:

Still, the brand was weakened significantly from prequel bashing, which logically should have resulted in a lot of caution from audiences recoiling at the thought of a repeat of experiencing more films with their level of corniness and hammy acting. And yet they didn't! They flocked to create an unprecedented $250+ million opening weekend. I can't work it out.

Never underestimate Star Wars fans.

1 minute ago, dougie said:

They're sort of fine in that they're just mediocre. The Disney era films lack the bite or the attack that the prequels had.

But they're more watchable than the prequels.