Star Wars Disenchantment

John

43 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Palpatine himself tells in the movie that he can’t do what Plagueis did.

He admits he doesn't know how to cheat death, but he doesn't say he doesn't know how to create life.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:10 PM, Chen G. said:

That's exactly why. There's no reason for it, other than "well, that's the way it was before."

And surely, someone can think of a plot twist in Star Wars which doesn't have to do with familial ties! Its really stupid.

If Palpatine created Rey, I suppose it would be 'familiar'. So yes, "that's the way it was before," so that's how I think the saga will conclude. "It's like poetry. They rhyme." Star Wars isn't complicated, but Rey vs. Kylo #3 to will be grossly insufficient and unsatisfying end to the trilogy and entire saga.

I think Lucasfilm had hoped many more fans would get 'on board' with their new story. But many factors hindered fan interest:

- Before TFA had been released, Kathleen Kennedy stated that she was proud to showcase a "strong female character" in the lead role... instead of letting the fans discover for themselves that she was strong.

- No explanation of Rey's affinity with the Force, why it awakened in her specifically, and why she gains skills without any training.

- Far too much canon material to consume. People just aren't going to bother... but nonetheless, explanations of characters and events, as well as clues for things to come can be found in this material.

- Waiting until IX to inject so many important story/character elements has left many fans - and the general public - disappointed, confused, and complaining.

- Lucasfilm employees antagonizing disenchanted fans on Twitter.

- Disney allowing many in the media to run with the false narrative that the Star Wars backlash is primarily due to racism and sexism.

So many fans are talking about the many coincidences, distractions, and subversions in TFA and TLJ, that they haven't taken a step back to realize the bigger picture:

Just like Palpatine, Lucasfilm are playing a long game in regards to the sequel trilogy. With comments like 'we're making this up as we go', they've made the fans think they weren't up to anything special. But let's be real... they've been planning a big reveal and finale this entire time. Either Palpatine is coming back, and it will take Rey and Kylo, together, to defeat him once and for all... or Palpatine's past actions will be revealed that significantly affect the story and/or characters.

I'll be shocked if JJ - or anyone here - comes up with something better.

If Lucasfilm do have something big planned for IX - whatever it is - I don't understand why they would let things get so out of hand with their relationship with the fans. Perhaps they enjoy their power and messing with peoples' minds. Reverse psychology?

On 3/29/2019 at 4:41 AM, Chen G. said:

But than you have the likes of @Mattris who not only don't make peace with the facts, but actually go as far as to delude themselves that there is some grand scheme behind these films even where they most clearly isn't one.

The fact is, neither of us really know if they had a "grand scheme behind these films". Obviously, they didn't anticipate Carrie Fisher's death, but I firmly believe that JJ had a plan for the story: Palpatine returns in a major reveal. Only a fool would believe that Rian Johnson was allowed to do literally whatever he wanted in the middle installment. He had limits, and I'd bet they were established by JJ in conjunction with the Lucasfilm Story Group, who worked to align with the other canon writers/authors.

19 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Its a nearly-impossible task to pull off well, and because JJ Abrams was brought in quite late, for him to attempt to do so within the time constraints will be an overreach. He'd better focus on sticking the landing for this trilogy.

.... I think Abrams will try to keep the film under 2.5 hours, which really isn't a lot within which to construct a truly satisfying resolution. Given how The Last Jedi opened and closed, IX can't open in medias res, and you can bet a substantial amount of the running time will be dedicated to resetting the stage and reminding audiences of where the characters' are at. And its not like IX isn't going to have its own story to tell, alongside the final resolution: we already know that several actors/actresses have been cast in presumably considerable roles.

The sequel trilogy may be the most densly-populated of the three, to boot. IX will have to resolve the stories of Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, Kylo, and probably those of Hux and Billie Lourd's character and at least one new character,  as well, which is a lot.

Need I remind you that the concluding chapter is in fact so challenging, that it has only really ever been done well once, in The Return of the King...

All of this goes to show that offering a satisfying resolution to a single trilogy bordes on the impossible. But to nine films?! The only remotely comparable case is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, and all it goes to show is that the bigger the backlot of entries there is, the harder it is to offer a satisfying resolution. To make matters worse, IX is at much more inferior position than that film: the filmmakers had less time to hone it; the eight films it has to cap were made across a much larger period of time, and by several wildly different filmmakers, resulting in wildly different films which - in order to bring to a conclusion - IX first has to unify. Plus, like I said previously, the story of Harry Potter was very deliberately and conciously building towards a predetermined conclusion, whereas here the episodes are being made up one at a time. Plus, to tie-up all eight films, IX has to refer back to the prequels a lot, and I don't know that everyone would appreciate that too much.

Yes, JJ has much to include in IX, which is the end of the trilogy and saga. Even if he wrote the screenplay 'making it up as he goes', he still would have had first access to all of the canon material and TLJ's screenplay. I'm sure he would have been able to come up with the Palpatine connection, as I did. But again, given all the clues I've discovered, I think Lucasfilm's approach from the outset was to conclude the Saga with the big baddy from the other two trilogies, with the most intriguing scene from the prequels (Palpatine and Anakin at the opera) as IX's premise:

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."

"He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power."

And I predict the title will come from Darth Vader in STAR WARS:

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the POWER OF THE FORCE."

19 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The facts include explicit quotes from both Kennedy and Johnson, and its really just appearant from following the production and seeing the films themselves.

For a whole host of reasons, I don't trust Kathleen Kennedy or Rian Johnson when they say 'had no plan or criteria for the trilogy'. I trust JJ, who a get a sense is a true fan of Star Wars. I'm hoping he will finish the story 'satisfactorily', as he intends.

17 hours ago, Fabulin said:

So now Palpatine can not only create life, but also create himself out of nothingness and choose a mother?

That sounds plausible to me. "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural." 

15 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Let me get this straight...

You're sore at Rian Johnson for digging deep into canon/Star Wars lore and using "subverting", yet previously existing, material, and yet you are doing the same thing to prove your Rey Palpatine point? 

Contradictory quite.

Contradictory? I welcome the use of canon material. I just didn't like TLJ's most subversive elements: Holdo squashing Poe, Rose squashing Finn, social justice infused Canto Bight, DeeJay (Don't Join), multiple Luke/Ben flashbacks (two of which were lies), out-of-place humor, etc.

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

Palpatine himself tells in the movie that he can’t do what Plagueis did.

"He could use the Force to influence the midiclorians to create life."

"He taught his apprentice everything he knew."

12 hours ago, Demodex said:

He admits he doesn't know how to cheat death, but he doesn't say he doesn't know how to create life.

He says, "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret." Palpatine was a Sith, who does and says what is necessary to gain power. He could have been lying to Anakin... or gained the ability - perhaps with Darth Vader's help - during the 20 years before his apprentice betrayed him.

Palpatine to Anakin in Revenge of the Sith:

"If one if to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects - not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force."

"Ever since I've known you, you've been searching for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi... a life of significance, of conscience."

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger."

Luke and Rey in The Last Jedi:

Luke: What do you see?

Rey: The island, life, death and decay... that feeds new life, warmth, cold, peace, violence.

Luke: And between if all?

Rey: Balance... and energy... a Force.

Luke: And inside you?

Rey: Inside me? That same Force.

Luke: (lesson that the Jedi do not own the Force)

Rey: There's something else... beneath the island. A place, a dark place.

Luke: Balance. Powerful light and powerful darkness.

Rey: It's cold. It's calling me.

Luke: Resist it, Rey. Rey! Rey!!! You went straight to the Dark.

Rey: That place was trying to show me something.

Luke: It offered something you needed, and you didn't even try to stop yourself.

(Rey realizes that Luke had closed himself off from the Force.)

Luke: I've sen this raw strength only once before in Ben Solo. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now.

Observation: The from-above shot of Palpatine's 'death' is very similar to the imagery of Rey being tempted to the Dark Side (water emerging from the island's "dark place")... and then Rey seems to have been left by the water after it's pulled away. A coincidence... or by design?

4 hours ago, Holko said:

The Force awakened in Rey because she's the protagonist. 

OR Rey is the Protagonist because it's her the Force awakened in.

Socrates would be proud. 

4 hours ago, Mattris said:

Rey vs. Kylo #3 will be grossly insufficient and unsatisfying end to the trilogy and entire saga.

I think fans would enjoy seeing these two go up against each other again, and I bet that they do.  However there will be more than that in the end. The whole First Order needs to go down. 

You know what?  I actually wouldn't be surprised if Palpatine had something to do with the story, but him coming back to life or him not dying at the of ROTJ is too much.  I hate that Darth Maul didn't die on Naboo, and will feel the same about Palpy. 

Maybe Palpy will show up as a Force Ghost, only instead of blue, he'd glow red. Rather like that unused Toho idea Godzilla vs Godzilla, which would have matched regular 90s Godzilla against an evil spirit version of the 1954 Godzilla.

9 hours ago, Demodex said:

I think fans would enjoy seeing these two go up against each other again, and I bet that they do.  However there will be more than that in the end. The whole First Order needs to go down. 

Eh. I guess. I bet they give Kylo the ability to throw lightning. This shit writes itself at this point.

Rey has easily beaten Kylo three times already. Once in a mind control battle as she blocked him, then read his mind. Second in a direct lightsaber duel and third in a force battle where she wasn't knocked out but Kylo was.

There is literally ZERO stakes in A.N.O.T.H.E.R battle between them two. Zero tension, zero unknowns, zero point. If Rey loses, she has become less powerful, and if she wins, then she's won again.

Although my longer posts are far too wordy to be STAR WARS opening scrolls, they just as substantive.

@crumbs Rather than make fun of me, I challenge you to come up with an Episode IX theory - and title - of your own.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, Ghostbusters II said:

Disney blew their load with Star War movies and Iger admitted as much. I only saw Solo because George Lucas was supposedly involved. The only exciting Star War-related thing happening is the opening of the area at Disney Land.

You saw Solo simply for the Han/Q'ira closet scene? 🤨

@Mattris Look, look! Prequel pics, and of Natalie Portman, no less!

Mattris?

Shit, alright Lucasfilm, it doesn't matter, pack it in, they didn't see it...

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

Rather than make fun of me, I challenge you to come up with an Episode IX theory - and title - of your own.

How about sitting on our asses doing something else for these few months and patiently waiting 9 out? Is that so hard? Why spend the time making up crackpot theories when they won't be correct anyway? Watch another film, read a book or 10 that isn't your hated new SW canon.

It's like there's the real canon that everyone hates, and there's about several hundred thousand phantom canons inside fans' heads that'll never happen, and they all exist in parallel to the real canon, and fans will never see them realised which will just make them more sad and resentful.

4 minutes ago, dougie said:

It's like there's the real canon that everyone hates, and there's about several hundred thousand phantom canons inside fans' heads that'll never happen, and they all exist in parallel to the real canon, and fans will never see them realised which will just make them more sad and resentful.

Exactly! The new film is coming. Just wait and see. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Exactly! The new film is coming. Just wait and see. 

I mean it might not be much good, but we have more Godzilla movies coming, so all will be right with the world anyway.

32 minutes ago, Holko said:

How about sitting on our asses doing something else for these few months and patiently waiting 9 out? Is that so hard? Why spend the time making up crackpot theories when they won't be correct anyway? Watch another film, read a book or 10 that isn't your hated new SW canon.

Over the last... many months, I've tried to figure out what's happening with Star Wars, specifically the motivations of those in charge, criticisms of the films, and where I think things are headed regarding the fans and the canon. I've remained logical and composed, especially compared to many on here, who seem intent on poking fun or tossing insults my way.

I think I'm on to something... and am as excited now than I was before TLJ. So I'll continue posting here if I so choose.  Instead of spending time publicly criticizing my "crackpot theories", why don't take you own advice and take some time off?

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

As the years go by people will learn to appreciate them. Everyone hated the Prequels when they came out. But nowadays folk seem to be more positive about them.

In the end they're just movies anyway.

I disagree. Unless IX knocks it out of the park, the disenchanted fans will never "learn to appreciate them".

Wrong, Star Wars is not "just movies"; it's a cultural phenomenon.

13 minutes ago, dougie said:

I'm not sure if these new ones will overcome their bland factor though. At least the prequels have their hammy schlock value.

All depends on how IX wraps up the trilogy and saga.

7 minutes ago, dougie said:

Bland is the new black.

Bland will not stand the test of time... and slowly but surely, the general public become intolerant of mediocrity and agenda-driven content. The vast majority of movie goers (Star Wars fans included) want escapism, not to be tricked or preached to.

12 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Over the last... many months, I've tried to figure out what's happening with Star Wars, specifically the motivations of those in charge, criticisms of the films, and where I think things are headed regarding the fans and the canon. I've remained logical and composed, especially compared to many on here, who seem intent on poking fun or tossing insults my way.

I think I'm on to something... and am as excited now than I was before TLJ. So I'll continue posting here if I so choose.  Instead of spending time publicly criticizing my "crackpot theories", why don't take you own advice and take some time off?

Wrong, Star Wars is not "just movies"; it's a cultural phenomenon.

It's Star Wars, not some critical federal government legislation that has long term ramifications for the livelihoods of millions of people.

27 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I've remained logical and composed, especially compared to many on here, who seem intent on poking fun or tossing insults my way.

I think I'm on to something...

27 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Unless IX knocks it out of the park, the disenchanted fans will never "learn to appreciate them".

IX is going to be one way. Period. The chances of you hitting upon that are not that high. By thinking and saying shit like "I will be SHOCKED and disappointed if it doesn't follow my way, and it will be terrible any other way", you're only making your future viewing experience worse. How about waiting patiently these few months out, seeing the film, taking it as it is, seeing it again when it comes out on home media, then deciding whether you like what you got or not and why, instead of prearranging a fantasy scenario it absolutely HAS to adhere to?

I disagree. Unless IX knocks it out of the park, the disenchanted fans will never "learn to appreciate them".

@Mattris The disenchanted fans are a lost cause. If George Lucas said 'Fuck this, I'm taking everything back and remaking this sequel trilogy!' it wouldn't change anything. 

On 31/03/2019 at 1:23 AM, dougie said:

It's Star Wars, not some critical federal government legislation that has long term ramifications for the livelihoods of millions of people.

Star Wars may be more important than you realize. As we speak, the fandom is broken, its merchandise looses money, and more and more people are becoming aware of Hollywood's increasingly agenda-driven approach to film-making. Careers and billions of dollars of potential revenue rest on Episode IX. I truly hope JJ pulls out all the stops, makes the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi, and reunites the fandom.

On 31/03/2019 at 2:26 AM, Stefancos said:

Star Trek is better anyway!

These days, I've heard that Star Trek is doing no better than Star Wars... for the same reasons.

On 31/03/2019 at 2:40 AM, Holko said:

IX is going to be one way. Period. The chances of you hitting upon that are not that high. By thinking and saying shit like "I will be SHOCKED and disappointed if it doesn't follow my way, and it will be terrible any other way", you're only making your future viewing experience worse. How about waiting patiently these few months out, seeing the film, taking it as it is, seeing it again when it comes out on home media, then deciding whether you like what you got or not and why, instead of prearranging a fantasy scenario it absolutely HAS to adhere to?

I think my chances are high. But if my theory doesn't pan out, I had fun surmising.

I did not say, "I will be SHOCKED and disappointed if it doesn't follow my way, and it will be terrible any other way". I said, "I'll be shocked if JJ - or anyone here - comes up with something better." If my IX theory turns out to be right, I'll certainly take a victory lap on the forums. But I never said the film had to "it absolutely HAS to adhere to" my prediction. To be honest, though, I hope JJ comes up with something even better.

On 31/03/2019 at 2:43 AM, Arpy said:

@Mattris The disenchanted fans are a lost cause. If George Lucas said 'Fuck this, I'm taking everything back and remaking this sequel trilogy!' it wouldn't change anything.

Even without George Lucas' involvement, I firmly believe that most of the disenchanted fans can be enticed back. For the many reasons I presented at length in the other thread, the overall interest in Disney Star Wars has waned. But the marketing campaign for IX has yet to get cranked up. An impressive trailer and positive attitude from Lucasfilm would greatly contribute to enticing some back. (Apologies from the rude/dismissive LF employees would also be welcome, but I won't hold my breath.) The majority of the rest of the disenchanted fans will simply wait for trusted reviewers' thoughts on the film after its released.

As one of the more-informed disenchanted Star Wars fans, nothing I do at this point will 'make my future viewing experience worse'. I understand and care about the franchise, the fandom, and I sincerely hope that IX will fix things. The 'seeds of repair' exist. JJ and Lucasfilm just need to plant them.

If they don't, things will only get worse... far worse, before they get better. We'll see what happens.

11 minutes ago, Mattris said:

It may be more important than you realize. As we speak, the Star Wars fandom is broken, as more and more people become aware of Hollywood's increasingly agenda-driven approach to film-making. Careers and billions of dollars of potential revenue rest on Episode IX. I truly hope JJ pulls out all the stops, makes the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi, and reunites the fandom.

Unless there's actual rioting in the streets, it's not that important.

I wonder if they're withholding the title reveal until the trailer because it's divisive/controversial? And they want to ride the goodwill of the trailer? Star Wars: Demise of the Skywalkers? Death of the Force? An Enemy Reborn? Child of the Force?

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

The Last Jedi is the best SW movie since RotJ.  Since Empire, really.

No.

The Force Awakens is a much better film, for all its unoriginality.

You'd expect it to get bogged down in getting the trilogy off of the ground, but - compared to The Last Jedi - its better paced and focused. The way its directed - while highly interesting - doesn't draw as much attention to itself; and lastly it doesn't jerk its audience around with its plot-twists. The humour lands better, etcetra...

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Has the Force been the thing holding Star Wars back?

No, but I want a big cataclysmic, bittersweet ending.

What better route to go about this then shutting-down everyone's connection to The Force?

And Chen: The Force is an energy field that every single living being creates and feeds from. Cutting it off in-universe makes as much sense as flicking a switch and turning off gravity in the galaxy.

I technically said cut-off the ability of people to connect to it, making it impossible to use the abilities it grants. It'll also mean saying goodbye to all those pesky Force ghosts.

I'm not married to the idea, but I do like it. Its like Gotterdammerung, in a way.