Star Trek: Picard (2020 TV Series)

Wojo

It's true though.  After slogging through Season 1, which I am now glad I did, I feel like I can give them a larger mulligan in logic as long as they deliver an entertaining experience with some thoughtful Sci-Fi social commentary, which they are doing.

This is…. Good? It feels like Star Trek but fresh! Wow, I’ve gotta hand it to them, it’s quite the turnaround after S1.

Sci-fi parables with timely links to current events. Not entirely subtle but not ham-fisted either.

The new cast is working sooo much better now. Between the writing and direction they actually have something to work with. Picard and Seven actually resemble themselves! 

Despite being a very obvious choice, the Borg Queen is a compelling, slippery antagonist, much better than incest Romulans. I just wish it was Alice Krige in the prosthetics again.

I’m on board (again)!

It is already clear that at some point in time Seven will consider to keep this timeline as there are some clear advantages for her.

I really liked season 1. And cannot say, that season 2 is so much better. It is ok.

It was so weird (and cool) to see Brian Quinn from Impractical Jokers make a cameo in last week's episode!  Especially since he was being serious and not joking around like his main gig.  It's ironic that his nickname on Jokers is "Q" and he shows up on another show with a character of the same name.  Too bad they didn't interact with each other on screen.

https://www.trutv.com/shows/impractical-jokers

I could not agree more.  There is so little discussion around the interwebs regarding this show, and it's the most fun I've had with Trek in a long long time.  The characters went from broken and wretched (S1)  to likable flawed family (S2).  Elnor just has to be brought back.  We've not yet seen this lovable character's full potential to be the next best thing, Spock crossed with Legolas.

I am a little baffled with another iteration of Soong (Whose naming always bothered me as it was just too close to Khan Noonien Singh.) and his daughter, but I imagine they're laying the genetic groundwork for their descendants.

But the one thing it has brought back is Adventure.  It's not just discussion after discussion.  There's momentum, fun, real juicy dramatic beats.  I really look forward to Thursdays,

23 hours ago, Andy said:

Whose naming always bothered me as it was just too close to Khan Noonien Singh.

If the story is true both characters were named after someone Roddenberry knew in WWII that he lost contact with. He had hoped this person would see Star Trek and reach out. Could be total BS but I believe it more than a lot of Roddenberry's stories.

Ben Sisko could tell you every baseball game from this era. Spock knew every space flight (that wasn't secretly carried out by genetic super people). But suddenly Picard tells us that 24th century history doesn't know a lot about this era? (The Bell riots were when?)

I realize that our Heroes are just trying to fix their own timeline. But they seem to be blissfully unconcerned that nuclear war is around the corner.

@Docteur Qui I watched the first few episodes of Discovery, and I'm not sure I want to invest, but I get what you're talking about with modern emotive ending.  Now, I like ALL the Star Wars films, but it just occurred to me how many characters in The Last Jedi were in tears or outright crying throughout the Last Jedi.

Just not sure if I want to go through 4 seasons of Discovery.  I never watched Voyager or Enterprise.  I was burnt out at that time, ironically, on much of the stoic acting and whispered lines of dialogue.

8 hours ago, Andy said:

@Docteur Qui I watched the first few episodes of Discovery, and I'm not sure I want to invest, but I get what you're talking about with modern emotive ending.  Now, I like ALL the Star Wars films, but it just occurred to me how many characters in The Last Jedi were in tears or outright crying throughout the Last Jedi.

A fair observation, but I’d argue that Star Wars has always been the more melodramatic of the two franchises, so it doesn’t bother me so much. It is a space opera after all. Star Trek on the other hand was always more cerebral, generally balancing reasoned debate with emotional appeal. It’s why Spock and Kirk were such great counterparts, and Seven and Janeway, Picard and Riker etc. These days just about every character is at risk of an emotional outburst at any given moment.

8 hours ago, Andy said:

Just not sure if I want to go through 4 seasons of Discovery.  I never watched Voyager or Enterprise.  I was burnt out at that time, ironically, on much of the stoic acting and whispered lines of dialogue.

I felt a bit the same - I started with Voyager and then did TNG, by the time I was done I couldn’t watch DS9 which I regret because a lot of people feel it’s the superior show of that era. I’ve seen a handful of eps, and might give it a go this year.

I recommend pushing through with Discovery if you can, there’s still a lot there to enjoy. The second half of S1 snaps into focus and Jason Isaacs is a highlight. S2 heavily features Captain Pike (Anson Mount) who is phenomenal, a genuinely excellent and very Trek portrayal. It was so successful he’s got his own spin-off coming next month which I can’t wait for. And my favourite character by far is Saru, who, like Pike, brings mountains of classic, classy Trek to the table (and the writers know it). It’s the role Doug Jones was made for and he thankfully gets plenty of screen time over the whole series.

You’ll just have to get past a lot of Burnham, Tilly and Stamets first. I’ve warmed to all three now but they’re definitely the most egregious offenders of the aforementioned emoting.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I have one thing to say to this...

Infinity War Yes GIF by MOODMAN

Nemesis is not a bad film, at least to me. But it was a poor send-off. Give them back the Enterprise and I'll be happy.

EDIT: I just read that De Lancie also shot for Q for Season 3, so he's going to be a thorn in their side one more time. I am curious as to who Brent Spiner will be playing. Assuming that the future reset is successful this season, it shouldn't be Data, but why would Altan Soong join the Enterprise crew? Unless Picard S2 ends with Adam Soong going with them to the future (ALA Gillian Taylor from The Voyage Home).

They're getting the band back together!  Season 8 of TNG?

The Spiner voiceover talks about evolution... perhaps Soong will become the new "Data" since it's been established that transferral of consciousness into an synth body is now a thing from Season 1.

What a great day for Trekkies!

Well...

Spoiler

With Kore turning out to be a clone, it makes me wonder if Adam Soong's 'descendants' are all just clones of himself, and whether at some point he figured out that he would be better off working on cybernetic beings - which start out as 'clones' of himself - and that's eventually what leads to Dahj and Soji - the 'genesis' of everything Adam Soong was hoping for.

Also: the implication here might be that what Adam Soong is working towards in 2024... results in Khan Noonien Singh.

3 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Well...

Hide contents

the implication here might be that what Adam Soong is working towards in 2024... results in Khan Noonien Singh.

Impossible. The BB left Earth in 1996 with KNS already onboard. 

Well...

Hide contents

With Kore turning out to be a clone, it makes me wonder if Adam Soong's 'descendants' are all just clones of himself, and whether at some point he figured out that he would be better off working on cybernetic beings - which start out as 'clones' of himself - and that's eventually what leads to Dahj and Soji - the 'genesis' of everything Adam Soong was hoping for.

Also: the implication here might be that what Adam Soong is working towards in 2024... results in Khan Noonien Singh.

My exact thoughts yes.  Kore's internet searching even brought up

Spoiler

"Eugenics", which in Star Trek pretty much is directly associated with Khan

1 minute ago, Positivatee said:

Impossible. The BB left Earth in 1996 with KNS already onboard. 

Ah, I'd forgotten that.

Excited for the Season 3 TNG cast returning, but fearful that may mean the Picard Cast I've come to love may be disbanded.  They're really hitting their stride as likable personalities.

No, and yes. Guinan appeared in the first episode of season 2, and a younger Guinan appeared in episode 4 (played by Ito Aghayere)

I still don’t understand why they got a younger (if excellent) actress to portray younger Guinan when in Time’s Arrow, which is set further in the past, she was still played by Whoopi Goldberg. 

Especially since AI assisted de-aging is making that process so much less expensive and better.  Like, if Scorsese made Irishman just 3 years later it would look 10x better.

An interesting little thought:

Spoiler

Q clearly wanted Picard out of the way. But even in his current state he doesn't seem to want him dead. So Soong clearly went off-script with his actions. What will Q do? Picard is still his favourite 'board'. Will he try and punish Soong for not only failing to take care of Renee but also nearly killing Jean-Luc?

On 09/04/2022 at 12:41 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I still don’t understand why they got a younger (if excellent) actress to portray younger Guinan when in Time’s Arrow, which is set further in the past, she was still played by Whoopi Goldberg. 

This doesn't really bother me, in terms of suspension of disbelief. It's no more distracting than how much the props, sets and special effects of this show have clearly differed since TNG's run. 

On 09/04/2022 at 12:48 AM, Stu said:

Especially since AI assisted de-aging is making that process so much less expensive and better.  Like, if Scorsese made Irishman just 3 years later it would look 10x better.

Nah I totally disagree. If the Disney+ Star Wars shows have taught us anything it's that de-aging just serves to be more distracting than casting a different actor. And Picard doesn't have the budget of a Scorsese film or a Star War.

Spoiler

I could barely watch the Boba Fett scenes with Luke Skywalker. While he looked okay, Hamill's voice was completely off, and whatever they did to smooth out his huskiness didn't cut it. Half the time it sounded like they used a different voice actor anyway, and clearly they had a body double for most of the scenes.

I can see the same happening if they tried that with Guinan. To do it convincingly they'd similarly need both a body double and probably a voice double for certain lines, otherwise young Guinan would be moving around and talkiing like a 66-year old. Some of the physical acting in The Irishman is unintentionally hilarious when you realise how much these young men are moving like octogenarians. If you're going to spend money on the CGI and still use body doubles/voice actors to smooth things out you may as well just hire a good actor and rely on the audience to fill in the blanks, and spend the rest on other parts of the production.

Just as an aside: if anybody is wondering about the snippet of the theme in the season 3 trailer: it's a modified version of the End Credits cue from First Contact with a couple of VST cymbal rolls thrown over the top to mask edits.

Sneak Peak for Episode 8

Guy in this is named Agent Wells. He's played by Jay Karnes - who you might recognise as Lieutenant Ducane from the Voyager episode "Relativity". And... the ship he served on was the U.S.S. Relativity - a Wells-class ship.

So: either we're looking at another ancestor - or 'Agent Wells' has a really big secret. He certainly doesn't seem all that surprised when he mentions Picard 'materialising out of thin air'.

After a couple of weeks in which I feel season 2 lulled (in part because I think there was a good episode that could have been made by stripping away the fat of the last two episodes and combining what remained into one), I think the latest episode picked it back up quite well.

Jay Karnes unfortunately was kinda wasted beyond being a nod to the 29th-Century Wells-class USS Relativity.

Spoiler

Q's actually dying? It's an interesting premise. Deja Q previously had Q become mortal as punishment but it was played more for laughs there so it was interesting to see how this plays out. It's also clear that Q still wants Picard to succeed. Given Q's imending demise, I have to wonder: how will he appear in Season 3? And is this why the Q hadn't been heard from in centuries in Discovery?

I feel like we're going to get a fractured timeline. I'm 100% certain now that the new Borg Queen in episode 1 of the season was Jurati. The ship she arrived on was likely a heavily Borg-modified CSS La Sirena.

Here's the preview for the penultimate episode of the season.

I'm really enjoying this season still but the pacing feels a bit off. So much happened in the first few episodes, but since the characters landed in LA it all slowed to a crawl. The last four episodes could easily have been condensed into two and not much would've changed. I can appreciate the dramatic purpose of drawing out the threat of the Borg Queen amassing a new collective but it's just taking too damn long to get to the fireworks factory!

Soong and his daughter remain the worst part of this. Brent Spiner is doing his best with a fairly thin character, but all the scenes with his daughter have been dismal. Scene after scene of her talking to herself like a video game character: "I have to find out what's going on; I have to get in there" etc. It's awful. Isa Briones is just not really up to the task.

Seven and Raffi have been entertaining as CSI: Star Fleet, and the scenes with Rios and the doctor were nice. He's great now that he's not just being aloof and gruff all the time.

I get the impression season 3 will permanently farewell the TNG legacy characters (what with getting the whole crew back together again and all). But I'm growing fond of the new additions, so I hope they stick around for their own show.  I'd happily watch a spinoff with Seven, Raffi, Rios, Elnor and Jurati on a starship solving mysteries together. And give us a guest appearance from Kate Mulgrew please! 

15 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I'm really enjoying this season still but the pacing feels a bit off. So much happened in the first few episodes, but since the characters landed in LA it all slowed to a crawl. The last four episodes could easily have been condensed into two and not much would've changed. I can appreciate the dramatic purpose of drawing out the threat of the Borg Queen amassing a new collective but it's just taking too damn long to get to the fireworks factory!

This is really the bit I agree with most here: it really felt like the past four episodes could handily have been edited down to two and we'd have lost very little. The side-plot with the not-Ducane FBI Agent could have been removed entirely since the whole purpose was simply to get the bit out about

Spoiler

Q dying

And they could have done that at the end of one episode. That also goes into another thing they could have cut back on: they could also have condensed the bit with Picard's backstory re. his father quite a bit, I feel. Him not being the monster we always thought he was since TNG could easily have been said with far fewer minutes.

Soong and his daughter remain the worst part of this. Brent Spiner is doing his best with a fairly thin character, but all the scenes with his daughter have been dismal. Scene after scene of her talking to herself like a video game character: "I have to find out what's going on; I have to get in there" etc. It's awful. Isa Briones is just not really up to the task.

I figure that's more the way the characters are written. You're meant to hate Adam Soong, but... with the whole 'you're actually the whole reason the Confederation exists' thing they just dropped on us, he definitely needed a better setup. How does one go from 'I was trying to do eugenics and I fucked up my last try' to 'I'm gonna save the world and start a totalitarian, xenophobic regime'?. There's also the fact he can't 'die alone without a legacy' - he's the ancestor of every Soong in Star Trek, after all (then again, that could just be gaslighting on the part of the Borg Queen).

As for Kore, being locked inside for an eternity might make one a bit kooky. I'm a serial self-talker, so it's not that unusual to me :P

I get the impression season 3 will permanently farewell the TNG legacy characters (what with getting the whole crew back together again and all). But I'm growing fond of the new additions, so I hope they stick around for their own show.  I'd happily watch a spinoff with Seven, Raffi, Rios, Elnor and Jurati on a starship solving mysteries together. And give us a guest appearance from Kate Mulgrew please! 

I think we might lose a couple. Jurati's obviously going someplace else (though the end of the season might undo that), it's kinda implied Rios might want to remain in the 21st Century (a kind of reverse to what happened in Star Trek IV).

I have no idea who Spiner's meant to be playing. I can't imagine Altan being all that enthused about going with Picard on 'one last road trip' in Data's stead and there's no way they're reviving Data either (not least because Brent Spiner doesn't want to even though they clearly could if they wanted - just make up something about another backup he made somewhere along the way). And why do all of Adam's descendants look like him anyway?

I would take a spinoff though - provided they were all there (sans Picard). Star Trek: Stargazer, anyone?

Overall, I'm still much more for this season than I was season 1, but I think it did need the fat trimming a bit. I hope they take that lesson for Season 3.

So far I really prefer season 1. All that time travel stuff has been there before in Star Trek, and much better. I don't like this weird "we must not talk to anyone" policy, and in the end they talk to everyone after wasting a lot of time not talking to people and putting everything at risk.

I keep expecting Temporal Agents to show up, that's where I thought the whole FBI agent thing was going. 

You're right that Rios is probably going to stay behind. His arc is leaning towards him wanting to do more good in present day earth, which is a shame because I've really grown to like his character! His scenes with the doctor and her son are too adorable for them not to end up together. I suppose all of his holograms will still be around for Star Trek: Stargazer (love that btw @Giftheck!) 

I wasn't really paying much attention when Queenie was talking to Soong, I didn't realise that he was the catalyst for the Confederation. That makes a bit more sense and ties things together a little more. I need to concentrate more when I watch this show!

I also just remembered the line Q gives Guinan, something along the lines of "there are other ways to time travel", and implying that he wasn't responsible for sending them back to the confederation. That's consistent with your theory @Giftheckabout 

Spoiler

the Queen we saw in episode 1 being Jurati. It's possible she assimilates Talinn, who I think is the only other person who would know the significance of that line for Picard when she did the tech-assisted mind meld with him last episode)

So the whole thing was a plan by the Queen, and Q is just taking advantage of it?

Picard S2 E9 ….

I’m still enjoying it, but it’s wrapping rather… simply. The siege on the chateau wasn’t terribly exciting.  And the intercutting with more of Picard’s youth flashbacks was momentum killing. 

Picard’s Mother’s 

Spoiler

Suicide reveal was not satisfying at all.  Why didn’t Picard just disclose that during his mind meld?  Or right after?  And his Father dealt with 24th Century mental illness by… locking her in a closet?  Whaaa?  This is still the future, post-Kirk…. Don’t they have alien extracts or, I dunno, some really good Space Valium and a nice holodeck for meditation?  And why are they all dressed like it’s 1915?  I’m obviously nitpicking but my point is, between all the wtf writing, the direction, the context, and even Stewart’s performance, I really didn’t feel a whole lot of sympathy for Picard.  It’s a shame too, because it was a major theme and promise of the season.  

Ah well, at least the Queen/Jurati bits were more compelling. 

As we approach the finale, I have to say after a very strong start, the pacing has been way off.  They have only one episode to wrap up Q, the timeline, Renee, and all the individual character arcs.  Doesn’t seem like enough. 

We’re at the fireworks factory finally!

That was good fun, but I totally agree with all of your points about Picard’s flashbacks @Andy.

Calling it now, the cryptic message from Queen Jurati means that

Spoiler

Picard will tell Renée a story about two options she has, one is to live and one is to die. All informed by his recent revelations about his mother’s suicide etc. It’ll somehow tie into Q’s impending death, and in one last act of friendship Q will send everyone forward to their time (except Rios). The Queen from ep 1 will be Jurati, and the Borg will no longer be a threat to the Federation. They’ll either go off to a universe where they don’t exist or stay and head to the Delta Quadrant and “re-assimilate” the Borg in Picard’s time.

If that’s how it goes down I won’t be disappointed. It’s been a fun season.

I agree with you, @Andy, as well. The episode, the whole story would work perfectly well without Picard's childhood story, if it was just about saving the Europa mission.

For the last episode of this season I am looking forward to

Spoiler

the disclosure, that the Borg queen from the very beginning, that triggers all these events by her attack is actually the Jurati/Borg Queen hybrid, that wanted to trigger the events for that Borg/Human alliance in the past that they just founded. Some kind of Terminator change of the past twist.

I fully expect this to be a thing where they find a way to 'fix' Q, he remains immortal, decides to keep his new appearance becaus he likes being 'caught up' to Picard.

The regret in question

My only regret is that once Jean-Luc revealed those hidden facts about his childhood to us, I almost wished we could immediately put him back on the bridge of the Enterprise to hear and see what the impact this revelation had on him. But we couldn’t do that.

That would have been interesting to see, yes.

Re. the 'voice change', it's because he inhaled the smoke they were using on set.

Now, if you watched episodes nine and 10, you will hear that my voice sounds different. Whenever smoke is used on stage, I have to make a protest because — I know it’s not poisonous, it’s not going to harm — it gets onto the vocal cords. I particularly suffer badly from this. And it made me a little hoarse. So, at first, we were going to re-record a lot of what I said, but I urged [executive producer] Akiva [Goldsman] and my fellow producers not to do that because the weakness in my voice was reflecting the weakness in the character.

That was satisfying.

I'm really happy.  Really happy.  It was not perfect, and there were some bumps along the road, but it was really worth it in the end.  Anyone know when Season 3 will air?

I'm just a bit baffled they didn't wait a week to drop Strange New Worlds to give the Picard Finale a chance to breathe on its own.

I like to digest my Trek, and so I'm waiting a day or two before I watch SNW.  VERY exciting times for Trek.